Low dyno numbers?

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
I took my car in for a dyno tune. The car put down 312hp/298tq. I thought was low and I asked the tuner about it. He said he uses a Mustang dyno, which reads lower than the Dynojets most shops use. He told me those numbers are normal for a car with my mods.

From the seat of the pants, the car now feels like it gains power down low faster than before, but seems to take a slight bit longer to get the RPMs higher. It had a bad front O2 sensor (driver side), I did not know that going in. The tuner said he would be able to tune it once it warmed up and after the tune he had one of his guys replace the O2 sensor.

My mods are in my sig. Is this low for a car with my mods on a Mustang dyno?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
With cams you should be in the 330+ range. IMO. you can't have just 12hp more than me with LT's and Cams.

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
With cams you should be in the 330+ range. IMO. you can't have just 12hp more than me with LT's and Cams.

Was your dyno on a mustang dyno or dynojet? They call the mustang dyno the heartbreaker for a reason

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Dynojet but I have another more "generous" dynojet sheet that I don't take too seriously which gave me 329 rwhp.
So I tend to stick with the lower one as it makes sense with my mods and my ET.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Id think the cats are hurting you as well. Dynojets do read low but he should be in the range Frankie said.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I took my car in for a dyno tune. The car put down 312hp/298tq. I thought was low and I asked the tuner about it. He said he uses a Mustang dyno, which reads lower than the Dynojets most shops use. He told me those numbers are normal for a car with my mods.

From the seat of the pants, the car now feels like it gains power down low faster than before, but seems to take a slight bit longer to get the RPMs higher. It had a bad front O2 sensor (driver side), I did not know that going in. The tuner said he would be able to tune it once it warmed up and after the tune he had one of his guys replace the O2 sensor.

My mods are in my sig. Is this low for a car with my mods on a Mustang dyno?

It's just a baseline. The numbers don't mean anything. The most important part about the dyno is it allows you to tune for wot without going to jail.

Ask around about local dynos. Some will be stingy and some generous. I'd think you should be around 330-340 on a dynojet. Did you happen to ask what he was loading the dyno to? A big advantage with a loaded dyno is it simulates road conditions by applying a load similar to the load the motor would feel while driving.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Some people refer to a Mustang dyno as "The heartbreaker". Take that thing to the track Mike :)

Last edited:

Grey Ghost

forum member
Reaction score
That does seem a little low. I pulled 306 rwhp and 310 rwtq on a mustang dyno with just a CAI and tune on my 07.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
i got 344rwhp with similar mods. i had delete plates and udp's though. this was on a dynojet. are you auto or manual? auto's read lower.

td4broncs

Reaction score
hmm... I have CAI, mac LT's, o/r prochamber, muffler delete, frpp cams, and dyno tune and i was at 313.. so seems pretty close, on a side not does altitude play a part in overall number?

pmcferron

forum member
Reaction score
dont pay any attention to dynos. my car made 346hp on the mustang dyno where my car was tuned. a few months later i took it to a friends dyno day who does LSx tuning and uses a dyno dynamics dyno, my car only made 290hp there. nothing was different from one time to the other, car still ran same times at the track just the dyno numbers varied that much. dyno dynamics dyno is the biggest heartbreaker ive ever seen.

Blue Meanie

forum member
Reaction score
I dynoed 320/303 with virtually the same setup on a Mustang Dyno. 127300's, JBA LT's O/R H, C&L Racer intake, Spydershaft and 4.10's. Sounds about right to me.

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
Did you happen to ask what he was loading the dyno to? A big advantage with a loaded dyno is it simulates road conditions by applying a load similar to the load the motor would feel while driving.

Do you mean if he entered the weight of the car? If so, he did. He put it at 3,750lbs. He also mentioned that most other guys do not add the weight so that the numbers will read high.

i got 344rwhp with similar mods. i had delete plates and udp's though. this was on a dynojet. are you auto or manual? auto's read lower.

I have a manual.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back