Mastering the art of the S197 3 link suspension (sixty foot)

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Damn after reading this I'm getting stoked for the track. How important is it to upgrade the uca? I have rod end lca's and relo brackets I'm putting on with some stickies.

router

Pro Dyno Racing
Reaction score
Upper CA is all part of the package. If you get an adjustable one, you can adjust the pinion angle also.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I figured that I'm just not sure I'll be able to buy the one I want this year. How much will it hold back on a good launch?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Ask MATT D about the potential high rev...Ha Ha. He banged gears at almost 7k rpm on that 4.6 3v for years. However, it is almost common knowledge that the 4.6 3v can handle ~6500rpms on occasion. But remember you don't need to shift at that rpm in your car as setup because it falls off on power after~6200rpms. The aim is to boost the power bnd by 500 rpms by setting the rev limiter higher so you will NOT lose power at your shift points. When you get the CMDP's in then the car will go higher rpms with ~ 10rwhp with them as well as a set of Long Tubes, ~20rwhp and rwtq. These will help power above 6krpms for a tenth or two and 2mph at trap.
I've been shifting at 6500 rpm for 3 years :thumb:
Also where in the powerband your next shift lands is more important than high rpm power dropping off a bit.:beerdrink:

router

Pro Dyno Racing
Reaction score
The UCA will help, just not sure you will notice it that much. I went from a 1.55 6o ft to a 1.47 60 ft. But I changed upper and lower at the same time. The lower did help with the wheel hop.

06MUSTANGGT24V

S197 Torch Red Member
Reaction score
1.73 short time
MT E/T Street 26x10.5x16.
Completely stock suspension.
[email protected] 1/8th time.
BBK CAI, Diablosport programmer, BBK Headers, O/R X, Bassani Street, Spec 1 Clutch, Aluminum Fly, and poly Motor mounts.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Some great information in this thread and I love reading about others' combinations.

My current problem is I went with a lowering spring and my 60' suffered majorly due to no weight transfer. I was cutting 1.67-1.68s on STOCK suspensionbut then lowered the car on some K springs (1.5" drop" and am unable to cut better than a 1.78-1.8x now due to it.

I now have BMR lower control arms and purchased some cobra jet springs. My main question is; will I benefit from swapping the rear springs to the cobra jet springs and leaving the fronts as k-springs? I am able to swap the rears in the driveway however the front springs would require air tools and yet another alignment which I am wanting to avoid for now.

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
Some great information in this thread and I love reading about others' combinations.

My current problem is I went with a lowering spring and my 60' suffered majorly due to no weight transfer. I was cutting 1.67-1.68s on STOCK suspensionbut then lowered the car on some K springs (1.5" drop" and am unable to cut better than a 1.78-1.8x now due to it.

I now have BMR lower control arms and purchased some cobra jet springs. My main question is; will I benefit from swapping the rear springs to the cobra jet springs and leaving the fronts as k-springs? I am able to swap the rears in the driveway however the front springs would require air tools and yet another alignment which I am wanting to avoid for now.
Did you also get the BMR lower control arm relocators???? They really work well!

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I haven't installed relocation brackets as of yet however will be buying some from Torq if I can't get the car to hook without them. Lowering the car just resulted in no weight transfer so the control arms aren't helping me at the this point. I'm hoping by raising the rear of the car that I will have a better angle for the control arms and be able to hook again.

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
Good idea to get away from the lowering springs, but i'd go ahead and add BMR lower relocator brackets. They really do work well! You won't be dissapointed!!!

gotsboost

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed my UMI upper and lower control arms with the relocation brackets. Pinion angle at -2. Did anyone else notice an increase in noise from the rear end when doing this. Figure guys on this thread would know best.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just installed my UMI upper and lower control arms with the relocation brackets. Pinion angle at -2. Did anyone else notice an increase in noise from the rear end when doing this. Figure guys on this thread would know best.

Which version of the arms did you use? Roto joint? Full urethane?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I just ordered the complete full urethane rear setup for my car. And I will be settign my pinion angle when it's all installed.

What kind of noise are you getting?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back