Melling 340hv gear orientation?

whitmanink

Reaction score
Ok so i got my mutha thumper cams . And roller followers and a new timing kit for my engine i got last year... and me being me, and a father to a 9 year old .. not wanting to waste more money if not needed.. i decided to go in the basement of my blown 3v.. and look at the less than 2,000 mile melling 340hv pump i put on.. i took off the back plate to check for the gear wear and anything that might pop out at me as a problem.. and also to make sure its clear and. Not clogged or anything..so i went to put it back together and when i did i noticed one side of the outter gear is slightly beveled on top and the other side is flat.?. the inner gear looks the same on both sides from what i can tell.. soooo how do i go about getting this back together the correct way or did i screw it up not marking it? I looked and looked but i can not for the life of me find a diagram on the 340hv to see the gear orientation.... can someone shed some light on this for.me?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I personally would never use an oil pump from a blown motor. Just my opinion.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If the backplate is flat I would put the flat side of the gears against the backplate. Could be an excuse to install a set of Boundary Gears.

whitmanink

Reaction score
Thanks .. the pic isnt too clear here on my phone.. is the beveled edge facing the backplate?

whitmanink

Reaction score
Ok thanks.. i think its ok to use .. the gears arent chewwd up and no metal or anything was in there...i think in gonna use it .. unless there should be something to check to be sure?

whitmanink

Reaction score
Thanks again zach for going out of ur way to open one up for me..

i just paid it forward earilyer this week on FB 4.6 fourm.. someone ruined there front cam cap .. asking if anyone had one.. i did from my blown motor... all i asked was him to pay shipping.. he did give me a few bucks anyways.. but im hoping it got his engine running again for him with his new cams in.. but anywho thanks again to eveyone for there imput

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Thanks .. the pic isnt too clear here on my phone.. is the beveled edge facing the backplate?
Just to clarify the beveled edge is facing the inside of the pump. The straight edge faces the backplate. I assume this is to let oil flow into the pump but that’s just an educated guess.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back