More HPDE tire questions

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I recently found a really good deal on some 18x10" wheels and now I'm shopping for tires. I have about a weekend's worth of driving left on my tires from last year. The tires I have been using are 255/40-18 Yokohama Advan AD08's on stock 18x8.5" fanblade wheels. After 20-25 minutes, depending on the track and weather, they would overheat and start to lose grip. Now that I have 10" wide wheels I'm looking for a 275 or 285 width tire that I can use on both a dry track and for rainy track day use. I don't want to swap wheels at the track so the non streetable R compound tires are out. No R6's, R1's, etc...

I was looking at the R888, NT555R-II, Advan A048, Kumho Ecsta XS, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Potenza RE-11, Hankook Ventus RS3, and the wider Advan AD08's. Some are much more streetable than the others. Looking on other forums, I found a wide variety of differences of opinion an the tires. Overall it seems that most people like the Toyo R888 tires. It seems that everyone says the NT555R-II's are just RA-1's with a different tread pattern due to Nitto Buying Toyo when they had financial difficulties a few years back. If they are RA-1 with a different tread pattern, why are they about $100 cheaper per tires in similar sizes? Also, I heard the RA-1 tires need as much camber as possible and are really sensitive to camber settings. If that's true, then do the NT555R-II tires act the same way? I've heard only good things about the Advan A048 tires in the harder compound.

Will switching to wider high performance street/autoX tires allow my tires to last longer without overheating? I was also looking at the Kumho Ecsta XS, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Potenza RE-11, Hankook Ventus RS3, and Advan AD08 tires, but due to my experiences with the narrower 255 width AD08's I wondered if they would last longer than 25 minutes without overheating. Many people say the wider tires will last longer without overheating due to the increased amount of mass in the tire due to the larger tire size. However I don't know if its jsut their driving style, different/lighter cars, or the wider tire that allows their tires to last longer.

I also can get 265 width R888 takeoff tires with 80% of the tread left for about $120 each plus shipping. I'm guessing there won't be a huge difference in performance between the 265 and 275 width R888 tires.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I like my Dunlops in 275/35/18 on an 18 x 10 rim. I do only use them for autocross though. They may overheat though. I let an instructor use my car because his was down and running back to back with him I could feel the tire get a little greasy. The RE-11 has been getting some good reviews. The Nitto NT-01 might be worth looking at instead of the NT555 R-II. The R888 has a reputation for overheating. The best tire would probably be the Hoosier R6, since you will have a second set of wheels. Sorry I don't have more DE experience, I am sure more people will have input.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I would not suggest driving NT01's to the track as they get worn down to the point where they are nearly a slick and if you ran into a rain storm it would get pretty "exciting".

My understanding was that the A6 Hoosier's were the Auto-x tire and R6 the track tire.

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I also can get 265 width R888 takeoff tires with 80% of the tread left for about $120 each plus shipping. I'm guessing there won't be a huge difference in performance between the 265 and 275 width R888 tires.

If they are always available, Id stick with these. I've been looking for something similar thats local. Although I do eventually want to try out the R6's or NT01's.

argonaut

forum member
Reaction score
As far as streetable track tires go I have experience with the Falken RT615, Nitto 555RII and Nitto NT-01. Of those, for your stated purpose of street and track I'd go with the 555RII. The 01 is a better track tire but a compromised street tire. IMO the 555 is one of the best buys out there when you consider the price for the performance it gives. But its not real competent in the wet...ok, not great.

I think its pretty much a given with any DOT tire on a heavy car - the rears are going to start going away at around 20-25 minutes of hard running. It certainly happens to all the above. It may be true that a wider tire lasts a little longer per session but not by much. I've run up to 305s 555RIIs on the rear and they still go away. Of course, a lot of this depends on your driving style - do you like to trail brake and get a little slip angle going? If so you will overheat any of those street tires.

For this year I have a set of 275 R888s mounted on my 18s. Warning - these tires run narrow, at least compared to Hoosiers. I would not advise 265s on a 10" rim, they will be stretched pretty bad.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you can find a way to transport them, use the stock fanblades to get to the track and switch to the new tires when you get there. Would make it so you don't have to compromise.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
He said he didn't want to switch tires at the track.

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Star Specs, but I haven't used them myself. I am a "Change wheels at the track" guy :eek:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I was looking at the R888, NT555R-II, Advan A048, Kumho Ecsta XS, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Potenza RE-11, Hankook Ventus RS3, and the wider Advan AD08's. Some are much more streetable than the others. Looking on other forums, I found a wide variety of differences of opinion an the tires. Overall it seems that most people like the Toyo R888 tires. It seems that everyone says the NT555R-II's are just RA-1's with a different tread pattern due to Nitto Buying Toyo when they had financial difficulties a few years back. If they are RA-1 with a different tread pattern, why are they about $100 cheaper per tires in similar sizes? Also, I heard the RA-1 tires need as much camber as possible and are really sensitive to camber settings. If that's true, then do the NT555R-II tires act the same way? I've heard only good things about the Advan A048 tires in the harder compound.

Have you considered the Falken RT-615K 275/35 or 40 -18 tires at vulcantire.com?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
NT-05 is a pretty darn good bang for the buck. $185 for a 275/40-18...

http://discounttires.com/product_de...lZjdkZjMyMWRlMWIwZjJlNTNlMTZjMWE=&prodID=6702

Might not be the *ultimate* tire, but at practically half the price of some of those you listed...something to think about since you're not competing for a trophy. I ran those a couple years ago and I was hanging in there just fine with a guy in a similar car on R1 scrubs. Drove them daily at the time, not the greatest in the rain...but acceptable.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
hankook ventus rs-3.

awesome in the rain and awesome at the track (i've heard from everyone, haven't had time to get out there)

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Have you considered the Falken RT-615K 275/35 or 40 -18 tires at vulcantire.com?

Most people I know that have used the new 615K say they overheat rather quickly and lose grip, especially with cars over 3000 lbs. They did say that they are evry consistent after they overheat and lose grip and the loss of traction doesn't increase over time.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
As far as streetable track tires go I have experience with the Falken RT615, Nitto 555RII and Nitto NT-01. Of those, for your stated purpose of street and track I'd go with the 555RII. The 01 is a better track tire but a compromised street tire. IMO the 555 is one of the best buys out there when you consider the price for the performance it gives. But its not real competent in the wet...ok, not great.

I think its pretty much a given with any DOT tire on a heavy car - the rears are going to start going away at around 20-25 minutes of hard running. It certainly happens to all the above. It may be true that a wider tire lasts a little longer per session but not by much. I've run up to 305s 555RIIs on the rear and they still go away. Of course, a lot of this depends on your driving style - do you like to trail brake and get a little slip angle going? If so you will overheat any of those street tires.

I use a little bit of trail braking and sometimes use the throttle to help rotate the car on low speed corners. That doesn't help with heat in the rear tires.

For this year I have a set of 275 R888s mounted on my 18s. Warning - these tires run narrow, at least compared to Hoosiers. I would not advise 265s on a 10" rim, they will be stretched pretty bad.

Toyo says that a 9" to 10.5" wide wheel si recommended for the 265/35-18 R888's. Their specs on the tire are lsited with a 9.5" wide wheel. Would the extra 0.5" in wheel width make a high difference?

However I did find someone selling 265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup scrub tires from last season for $125 each. Michelin recommends a 9" to 10.5" wide wheels for them, just like the R888's.

Maybe I might become a change wheels at the track guy and I see why so many people do it now.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Having a dedicated set of rims with R-comp tires is the only way a to go. It is a pain in the neck having to swap them at the end of a long track day but well worth it when you are not getting passed by everyone else on R-comps. :)

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
In my case the right tools are a "racing" jack that goes under the car, a long breaker bar to loosen the nuts, a battery powered impact wrench to spin the nuts off/on and a good torque wrench to set the final torque. I also have a spare set of wheel nuts.

To get 4 tires to the track you put one in the spare tire well to replace the spare and another one in the trunk. Two then go into the back seat area on top of the folded down seat backs. This leave enough room for tools and helmet if you pack carefully.

I have a set Tire Totes to help keep the car interior cleaner.

Cone Sweeper

Track Whore
Reaction score
As I agree with everyone on the " extra set of rims for racing " because it's the best bang for the buck in the long run. I had to deal with not being able to for a awhile and had to use the tires I drove around on. I went the Dunlop Star Spec's and wouldn't look back since. For a daily driving around tire, couldn't complain at all - not too loud driving around and good in the wet ( and living in south florida - i see a ton of rain ) As for the track, I did 3 track days on them at Sebring in the florida heat and they stuck like glue to the track for being a street tire, personaly I think their pretty close to an R-Comp. Was very please with them overall. Just my .02

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
In my case the right tools are a "racing" jack that goes under the car, a long breaker bar to loosen the nuts, a battery powered impact wrench to spin the nuts off/on and a good torque wrench to set the final torque. I also have a spare set of wheel nuts.

To get 4 tires to the track you put one in the spare tire well to replace the spare and another one in the trunk. Two then go into the back seat area on top of the folded down seat backs. This leave enough room for tools and helmet if you pack carefully.

I have a set Tire Totes to help keep the car interior cleaner.

One in the spare tire well, gear etc in the trunk.
Two tires flat on top of the folded down back seats, and another tire flat on top of those. Then you get to play Tetris putting the remainder of stuff into the car :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back