motor turns over, no fire

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get the proper tune for it and go from there sounds like you just flooded it bad for now may have to let it sit for a bit. On a side note why would get stage 3 heads and put in a noise maker cam like the muther thumper. Alot of guys have trouble getting those cams tuned right.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
the mutha thumprs are left overs. i had them in there for a long time. this set ups just suppose to gt the car by for a season or two till i finish my teksid build. the cams actually took the car from 289 to 326.7rwhp not to bad. low end sucks but its ok for road racing and around town driving. the stage 3 heads were used from another guy on here who sold his car. there is something weird about these heads though. the guides are ground down in the runners to get them out of the way.....never seen that in a ported head.

im gonna pull the fuel relay and double check all the connections under the manifold. i dont think the 02's could cause this but im not entirely sure. at this point everything is suspect. going to have the updated tune sent to me as well. if i can get it running enough to limp it to the shop ill be happy.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
well i got nothing. i checked over the wiring harness. pulled the manifold and checked all the intake valves. got nothing. reassembled put in an older leaner tune. after 8 seconds of cranking it backfired softly. it gives me alittle hope. theres still life left in her.

my tuner is coming over tommarow to work on it with me. no telling how long itll take us. i'll let you know if we find something. any ideas are more then welcome. im gonna stop working on it today. its killing me.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
unbelievably frustrating. i've never had an engine give me this much trouble. my sanities only saving grace is i have a new 302 motor in my garage to play with. 180k miles needs freshening. gonna make a fun race motor. next to thats my teksid all ready to go to the machine shop. just need to get the pistons ordered and get the cobra crank from my friend. one project at a time though.

ive given this some thought and im still not absolutely positive the ignitions firing in time. could still be an ECU problem. guess i'll find out tommarow.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
stop screwing with the fuel. its not your problem. if your overloaded with fuel and its coming out of the tailpipe stop trying to crank it over as when you do get it to fire you could bend a rod or lock the motor up.

what does the theft light on the dash do when you turn the key? if its a steady on light then your in PATS mode and it needs to be cleared/reset to enable the ignition system. it should be blinking IIRC when it receives the correct signal from the ignition transponder in the key.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
yeah 9 times out of 10 if the ignition is disabled preventing a vehicle from starting its an issue with the transponder or theft light/PATS enabling.

next time you get a tune revision ask your tuner to turn it off if you live in an area where car thefts are not an issue.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
no anti theft light. it does its start up dance when you turn the key to auxillary then doesn't come back on at all. not sure what to make of that.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
checked everything. compression is defintly low. all it could be. verified spark, and fuel. going to put some oil in the cylinders to try to get the compression high enough to start. going to test it with a compression tester.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
well this is both embarassing and frustrating. checked compression on cylinders 1 and 5......got nothing at all. going to leak test it thuresday after i get the stuff i need tonight. i dont know where it could be getting out but its going some where.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i have them off to do leak tests. started disassembly, going to yank the lash adjustors, collapse them and redo the leak tests. if it passes i'll try to fire it up again if not the heads are coming off and going back to the machine shop to either have the valve stems cut down or have new valve seats installed.

really hope its the lash adjustors, either way im going to get her running and running soon.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
well i finnished my tests..... seats are too low/valve stems too long. going to have to talk to some people to see if we can cut the valves down to bring the lash into spec or if i'll have to have the seats replaced. not the machine shops fault. i should have dropped the cams off so they could measure everything.

really sucks. cant wait to get her back up and running though. i miss hearing those cams lope :(

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back