MSD Launch Master (Combined Threads)

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting parallel post over in modular fords. Of interest to the manual tranny folks, here's part of a response:

""Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss281
Hope I'm right on this as I've been trying to follow it:

The SCT implementation is entirely software driven using existing mechanical hardware and you are right, it doesn't work.

John

I have been using my SCT 2-step since the Fall of 05. It does work. You just have to tape down the top clutch switch and it works perfect every time. Your tuner also has to activate the feature. I stage, floor the gas, revs to 6100, drop the clutch and then rev limiter goes to 7000.

didn't someone else do this but wire into the clutch switch and put a toggle somewhere? Would save me some bucks, that's for sure.

Reaction score
alright so this MSD Launch Master, (PN 8734) works on the 3V ????

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

Suhweet... I want one. Do you have a transbrake on your 4R70? What launch RPM did you set it at, and what stall converter do you have?

Yes i have a transbrake on my 4R70W.I set the MSD Launch Blaster@ 3800 RPM.My converter stall is 4000 RPM.Don you will love this thing,trust me.I lost so many races on reaction time its not funny,looking at the tree,the tach etc.Stage,push button,floor it,hang on for the hit,its a rush.
Order it $220.00 good bang for the buck & your reaction time will be much improved as well as your 60' & consistentsy.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

He has pretty much the same setup as I do. We did ours around the same time and Len built ours the same time.

Hey Randy, did you figure out any the problems with your car? Did you get it dynoed with the 4r70w yet? The power your making and the MPH your car is trapping at doesnt equal. You need to have it dynoed.

No,still working on the problem,SHM is going to fix me up in a week or so.
I need a gear change 3.90 or 4.10.I am leaving to many rpms on the table going through the traps with the 3.55.I wish Len told me this before he told me i would cut 3-4 tenths off my time.SHM will re tune as well,i lost his tune,it got erased by the other tuners trying to fix problems that did not exist.SHM tune was the best out of Lentech,JDM & Steeda.Ca based on ETs.Paul are you going for the Launch Blaster?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes i have a transbrake on my 4R70W.I set the MSD Launch Blaster@ 3800 RPM.My converter stall is 4000 RPM.Don you will love this thing,trust me.I lost so many races on reaction time its not funny,looking at the tree,the tach etc.Stage,push button,floor it,hang on for the hit,its a rush.
Order it $220.00 good bang for the buck & your reaction time will be much improved as well as your 60' & consistentsy.

that is awesome!

does the tranny have to have a transbrake to work with this? or does the rpm limit only have to be set under the stall rpm...?

Reaction score
i recently built my turbo setup, and with the stick it sucks at the track, 60ft times in the 2.3's couldnt even do a decent burn out.. with this bad boy, it seems like i will be able to launch with boost..

oh yeah, and does this come with a tach adapter?

or is it basically plug and play?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i recently built my turbo setup, and with the stick it sucks at the track, 60ft times in the 2.3's couldnt even do a decent burn out.. with this bad boy, it seems like i will be able to launch with boost..

Most definitely! You wouldn't even have to look down (unless you forgot where your button is lol)

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
does the tranny have to have a transbrake to work with this? or does the rpm limit only have to be set under the stall rpm...?
That's where I'm a little confused too. If you have a transbrake, why would you need this? What does it do that the brake won't?

And I'd still like to read about a success story on a 5R55S before I buy one.

Reaction score
do i need tach adapters? what would you guys recommend i set it to? my car made.. 433rwhp/456tq @ 8psi.. upto 5k rpm, because for some strange reason my fuel pump is pegged with the kb bap.... so it's got more in it.. possible faulty bap?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's where I'm a little confused too. If you have a transbrake, why would you need this? What does it do that the brake won't?

yeah same here... i mean it all seems great and everything but if you HAVE to have a transbrake, well then.... i see a snowball effect.

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
If you read the instructions posted earlier by link in this thread, the box doesnt require a transbrake. It seems to over ride and control the coils until the clutch comes up then bang. Has to be worth a go! Especially for a manual; a trans brake and converter would do the same thing on an auto; the manual I find really hard to settle the revs at deep stage as the throttle is electronic, this should solve that.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you read the instructions posted earlier by link in this thread, the box doesnt require a transbrake.

I read the instructions and i'm asking does the TRANNY need a transbrake... i don't see the difference in overall functionality between the two, yet... if there is a yet.

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do i need tach adapters? what would you guys recommend i set it to? my car made.. 433rwhp/456tq @ 8psi.. upto 5k rpm, because for some strange reason my fuel pump is pegged with the kb bap.... so it's got more in it.. possible faulty bap?

I'm at 416, rich as hell and not completely maxed on the stock pump, so if your pegged at 433 using a BAP, you need to look into that...its not normal.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

+1
:clap:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

that is awesome!

You don't need a transbrake.You always set the 2 step 200 rpm below the flash stall of the converter.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

oh yeah, and does this come with a tach adapter?

or is it basically plug and play?

No tach adaptor needed,it is plug & play from the coils.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

The time it takes you to stage,set your foot brake,set your rpms,check the tree,check rpm again,check tree,release foot brake,mash the go go pedal,the more things you can subtract the better!
This device takes all those mili seconds out & gives you a better reaction time.
Think about it,(no transbrake)stage,foot brake,mash gas concentrate on the tree,release foot brake.
It is still better than trying to peg your rpm as these cars are very hard to peg on the throttle to rpm.
Having a transbrake button is going to be a advantage,especially with a 2 step set up.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back