MT et streets (bias) safe for 4 hrs of driving on track day?

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a used pair of 26/11.50/17's with 4 passes on them. Gonna mount them on 17x9 cobra rims. I run 20's and gonna leave the fronts on and swap out the rears before the drive to the track. Are these safe to drive the 2 hr drive to and from the track or do I need to put them on when I get to the track? I realize these are not meant to drive on the street regularly but I really dont want to drag jacks and lug wrenches and cram the rears in the back of my car.

11secLX

forum member
Reaction score
If it gets wet, then forget it...especially at high speeds.

11secLX

forum member
Reaction score
forgot to mention, you can easily fit both slicks with a jack and other junk in the trunk area of an S197 even with the "Shaker 1000". Unless you got it crammed with aftermarket stereo stuff or something.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd drive on them for a lot longer than 2 hours before I even thought about getting concerned. If it started to rain...that's a different story.

In order for a tire to have "DOT" on them, making them street legal, they have to pass a minimum level of standards in testing. I saw a video a few years ago of the test. Basically they are subjected to highway speed and tested for several conditions throughout the test. If they fail, no DOT stamp.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Well like I said these are used. Looks like the center groove is worn down I only see 2 grooves in them in the pics.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
forgot to mention, you can easily fit both slicks with a jack and other junk in the trunk area of an S197 even with the "Shaker 1000". Unless you got it crammed with aftermarket stereo stuff or something.

I would love to see a pic of two full wheels with tires in our trunks, I've never been able to do it.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
maybe he means with the seat backs laid down, but that wouldnt count as being in the trunk.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Don't do it.

Yes, you can get 2 tires in the trunk. It requires removing the cardboard and the spare, and having a wheel that can fit in the spare cutout, then you just stack the second wheel on top. My 25.6" tall wheels fit.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I drive a 360 mile round trip on drag radials when I go to Cecil County, MD.

I know a few guys that use the bias ply tires on the street, but they don't drive for hours, non-stop, with them.

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
I run a 26in M/T radial and they fit right in the spare well. If I lived 2 hours from the track and they were half used up I wouldn't drive on the Bias plys. They puncture to easy.

Last edited:

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
They will wear out fast, and if they get too hot they will come apart on that long of a drive. I wouldn't chance it. Around town is one thing but a four hour road trip is asking for trouble. Et street radials how ever are a differnt story.

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just swap them out at the track. Thats what ill be doing this weekend but ill be changing the front with skinnies too.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Just a heads up, you don't want to drive your car with bias ply tires on the rear with radials up front for any distance at all. They say not to even do it at the track but some people do without any trouble. I wouldn't chance it for a 2 hour trip.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back