MT82 Grinding into 2nd

Freshmeat

forum member
Reaction score
My car grinds into second gear a lot. It's at over 4k now but started at 600. I brought it to the dealership but they claim it's just the shifter design and it's not grinding.

What can *I* check? I've heard about pressure plate bolts backing out- is there an access panel or would the transmission have to come out to check them?

It makes the car feel like a complete POS as often as it happens. Makes me seriously wish I'd have bought another loaded F150 instead of this pile.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Mine was making a slight grinding noise when I would shift it in the higher RPMs in second gear only.

The clutch completely failed about week after it started. The dealership has had my car for over a month. If and when it actually gets fixed I will see if it still does it, and post up.

Last edited:

Freshmeat

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. Hope they're covering your note. I'd rather just drive my 79 Bronco at 10mpg. At least then I wouldn't have to leave my left leg at home just to fit in the vehicle! Haha

I'm trying to be light-hearted about it but at $36k+ it pisses me off that I have to deal with a grinding transmission.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
mine grinds nto 3rd when cold. it does it once then not again until the car sits.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
My car is notchy when cold. Much smoother when warm. I plan to change the tranny fluid soon to 75w-90 Royal Purple. Hoping that will help smooth it out some.

I also plan to put the RAM Powergrip clutch in after the first of the year. Just have to keep the stock unit together until then. ;)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go to a different dealer or call Ford direct and explane that you aren't an uninformed owner and you feel the dealer is not addressing your concern and that you are not a satisfied customer. Request a recommendation on where to go to get satisfaction.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
Mine shifted into all gears except 6th like butter...when new. 6th. took man-handling to get it to go in. Now, that gear-change is OK (app. 2500 mi), but it is SECOND that is becoming 'stiff'. I would rather have a Tremec, married with our light clutch pedal.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
Trust me a Tremec has it's own issues with notchy shifts. My Firebird's T56 is notchy when it is cold out and the shift effort at all times is easily twice that of the MT82. The MT82 shifts like room temperature butter compared to a T56.

Freshmeat

forum member
Reaction score
They said to bring it by Saturday AM and a tech can hop in with me so I can drive them and eliminate any confusion as to whether they're hearing a grind when they're in the car.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The MT82 shifts like room temperature butter compared to a T56.

I'll second this for sure. I've had 3 '03 cobras and those T56's shift like garbage. You can powershift the hell out of them, but regular driving they're notchy as hell.

As for the OP, like mentioned, take it to another dealer or complain with Ford Customer Service (800-392-3673). You've got some sort of issue that needs to be resolved.

bigjohns97

Reaction score
Mine is getting worse as well, it really seems like something in clutch system won't fully disengage the internals at high rpm.

Mine also seems to get worse with heat.

Freshmeat

forum member
Reaction score
Just to update you guys, I dropped off the car this morning and they called me at lunch time to say they're replacing the transmission. They were very short in the conversation, but I'm going to call tomorrow to see what else they're replacing while they have it apart.

iwaxmyjimmy

forum member
Reaction score
Just to update you guys, I dropped off the car this morning and they called me at lunch time to say they're replacing the transmission. They were very short in the conversation, but I'm going to call tomorrow to see what else they're replacing while they have it apart.

Normally when its a vehicles first year, they will not go into drivetrain pieces of a vehicle because of engineers want to see what caused the part failure. They will just replace your transmission with a new unit and not just internal parts.

zilla8

Reaction score
I'm hearing this a lot with the grinding gears.It may sound crazy but I have mastered this quirky transmission.When cold,you have to make sure you are precise with your shifts especially 2nd gear.

you have to put a little extra pressure on the shifter keeping it to the left as you catch 2nd gear.I have close to 8K on my car and once warmed up it shifts like a champ including higher rpm shifts 6000-7000rpm.

If I just drove this car normal without doing the little things I've learned I might be unhappy with this new 6spd also.I will eventually upgrade the clutch/flywheel but for now I'm good to go.

When you own a Moto Guzzi bike,you just except the clunky shifting and other quirks and call it character so I guess thats how I deal with this new 6spd.

I dont expect everyone to be like me and Ford should correct these issues because after all it aint no Moto Guzzi and you should not have to adapt to a f****d up transmission on a brand new car IMHO

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hearing this a lot with the grinding gears.It may sound crazy but I have mastered this quirky transmission.When cold,you have to make sure you are precise with your shifts especially 2nd gear.

you have to put a little extra pressure on the shifter keeping it to the left as you catch 2nd gear.I have close to 8K on my car and once warmed up it shifts like a champ including higher rpm shifts 6000-7000rpm.

If I just drove this car normal without doing the little things I've learned I might be unhappy with this new 6spd also.I will eventually upgrade the clutch/flywheel but for now I'm good to go.

When you own a Moto Guzzi bike,you just except the clunky shifting and other quirks and call it character so I guess thats how I deal with this new 6spd.

I dont expect everyone to be like me and Ford should correct these issues because after all it aint no Moto Guzzi and you should not have to adapt to a f****d up transmission on a brand new car IMHO

I hear you loud and clear. When I do my alum. driveshaft and shifter swap I will be replacing the trans fluid with RP 75w-90/friction modifier to help resolve the cold nature of this trans.

zilla8

Reaction score
Hang in there good buddy things will get worked out with the transmission and you can enjoy this baby like you should.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back