muffler deletes and resonator deletes

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
im going to the muffler shop tomorrow and getting the resonators cut out and replaced with 3 in pipe. My question is on the Muffler deletes, would you use 3 in pipe also or go with 2.5 so it will have at least some kind of back pressure? Thats the question

Yes i know it will be loud, maybe not sound as good as i want it to, but it cant be louder than my 08 with off road xpipe and muffler deletes because ill be keeping the Catylic converters on this one. Once i get my off road xpipe i decided i will be going with gt500 axleback :)

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
im going to the muffler shop tomorrow and getting the resonators cut out and replaced with 3 in pipe. My question is on the Muffler deletes, would you use 3 in pipe also or go with 2.5 so it will have at least some kind of back pressure? Thats the question

Yes i know it will be loud, maybe not sound as good as i want it to, but it cant be louder than my 08 with off road xpipe and muffler deletes because ill be keeping the Catylic converters on this one. Once i get my off road xpipe i decided i will be going with gt500 axleback :)

3 inch

edit: or 2.75 since that's what the factory H pipe is, however if you go to an O/R X and keep the deletes for a while then go with 3"

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
These cars sound like shit with muffler deletes and the stock h pipe with cats. I bought the magnaflow deletes and took them off the same day I installed them. Sounded really bad, kinda like it was running under water.

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Same diameter as the stock pipes. Even reused my stock tips. It's quiet at idle but once that VCT kicks in, it barks like an old Mopar with turbo tubes!

Still has factory resonators too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coderedsaleen

Powered by 03 Venom
Reaction score
Same diameter as the stock pipes. Even reused my stock tips. It's quiet at idle but once that VCT kicks in, it barks like an old Mopar with turbo tubes!

I wouldn't want mine barking like a Mopar old or new. I like the sound of a old Ford Mustang 5.0's, that is a sound that you hear and you know right away that is a 5.0 firing up or passing by.

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
So, when does VCT "kick in"?

Smart ass. I'm not sure of the cam map specifications or at what point the VCT overlaps the cams to the point that the exhaust note changes. Above 1/2 throttle and 3100-3300rpms there is a distinct exhaust note change that I can only attribute to variable cam timing.

I wouldn't want mine barking like a Mopar old or new. I like the sound of a old Ford Mustang 5.0's, that is a sound that you hear and you know right away that is a 5.0 firing up or passing by.

To each his own, right? It's just a comparison to allow a better visualization of the sound. I happen to enjoy the sound of a 440 at WOT. Guess that makes me a poor mustang man.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I actually like the way mine sounds with muffler deletes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq7_ru0RNdM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sounds great for $130 IMO...

These cars sound like shit with muffler deletes and the stock h pipe with cats. I bought the magnaflow deletes and took them off the same day I installed them. Sounded really bad, kinda like it was running under water.

That was a great description. Vid sounds just like that to me!

Smart ass. I'm not sure of the cam map specifications or at what point the VCT overlaps the cams to the point that the exhaust note changes. Above 1/2 throttle and 3100-3300rpms there is a distinct exhaust note change that I can only attribute to variable cam timing.

jesus_facepalm_facepalm_jesus_epic_demotivational_poster_1218659828_Facepalm_collection-s640x682-82175.jpg

sounds like a cammed EJ20 Subaru motor! I likes vary much.

Is that a compliment?

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I do....why the hate? I don't get it...

I ran mine w/o mufflers for about 2 days. I hated it personally, mostly because it was too loud, however I had an o/r x and it really hurt your ears even cruising. Sounded sick on a two step though. You aren't going to be able to hear it, but if it wasn't your car and you listened to the vid, it definitely sounds like its bubbling under water. I personally would put some bullets on it to clean up the sound some. It would be cheap and just as loud.

GrabberBooGT

forum member
Reaction score

I did the exact same thing. The Magnaflow deletes were for sale within 24 hours.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Buschur did some testing with deleting the mufflers and resonators and actually lost power, especially down low. Last I saw he was running a single open 3" putting down good numbers.
Without supporting mods you dont want to open up the exhaust too much because it will kill velocity.

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Buschur did some testing with deleting the mufflers and resonators and actually lost power, especially down low. Last I saw he was running a single open 3" putting down good numbers.
Without supporting mods you dont want to open up the exhaust too much because it will kill velocity.

WAs the testing done on a N/a car? if thats the case ill just delete the resonators, i just wanted the car to sound loud
What do you mean by single 3"

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
In the following I have Magnaflow 15594 muffler deletes with O/R X and stock over-the-axle along with the same plus BBK shorties:

Stock shorties:

With BBK shorties:

Not a bad sound but it is LOUD.

Pypes cat-back is on order just to reduce the sound some and to replace the stock over-the-axle....not because of the tone, etc...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back