Music to my ears....

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
After reading through this, I really think I should do this swap. I really don't need anything crazy and I think the speaker upgrade would be really nice to add. Is it worth changing out the door subs though?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Cam, I haven't changed the subs but I'm not super demanding of my music, either. I did notice a substantial improvement with the speakers and now it will go louder than I'm willing to play it and the distortion is still well below my ability to notice it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
That's good. I mean I'm not one to care about blasting my music let alone listen to the shaker 500 where it starts getting distorted. It would be nice to swap in some nicer speakers so I can experience a nicer crisp sound. I just don't care about doing a full swap. I'm not exactly sure what speakers are appropriate for the door subs though. I'd just do it while i have it apart

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Thanks man, I got them from Amazon yesterday, fast shipping like usual. I will try to put them in either this weekend or next weekend when I get time.

I also noticed that my shitker 500 is starting to have a high pitched sound from accelerated. Some times louder than others, what is this caused by?

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I got them from Amazon yesterday, fast shipping like usual. I will try to put them in either this weekend or next weekend when I get time.

I also noticed that my shitker 500 is starting to have a high pitched sound from accelerated. Some times louder than others, what is this caused by?

Usually the sign of a bad ground. Noise is originating from the alternator through the electrical system.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Do you mean you get a high pitched tone that gets louder as you accelerate?

I've had this be every thing from a main ground strap at the engine block getting rusty on to just the negative battery terminal post being corroded. I've had bad plug wire(s) cause it and also, using non-resistor plugs during a tune up start making that noise occur.

I left the door subs alone. They actually work fairly decently once you change out the speakers. The door subs have been making fairly clear bass the whole time, it's just the shitty stock speakers that distort so much that makes you think the door subs suck. Once you put some high quality speakers in, you realize the door subs are doing an OK job of it. An audiophile won't be happy with them, but for me, I think they sound pretty good.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I guess I will have to check around these areas to see if there is something like that going on. That's good that the subs are pretty decent. I'm no audiophile either. I just wanted a small upgrade that would make a difference.

BlackedoutRedifre

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i replaced mine a while ago with kickers, but i had a extra amp laying around the house to hook it up to but it makes such a difference with just changing out the stock paper speakers to higher quality speakers

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Good info in here. Thinking I might order the same ones as well. Are the high's nice and clear? I hate how dull the stock speakers sound.

If I get these, I think I might replace the door subs as well and then finally toss in my Image Dynamics 12 with Audioque amp from my last figure. Figure with the upgraded door/deck speakers, upgraded 8's and using the big 12 it should sound pretty good overall.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I know that once I went with these, I heard high's and mid's I'd never heard before in this car. Since doing these upgrades, I now listen to music in my car all the time whereas before, I rarely listened to music.

I'm no audiophile, but I can pretty much guarantee that you will notice a significant difference in the quality of sound.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
They aren't perfect but for $78 they are a hell of a lot better than stock. If you're looking for perfection then you're not going to find it in speakers selling for under $100 a pair. That said, I'm happy with mine.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
They aren't perfect but for $78 they are a hell of a lot better than stock. If you're looking for perfection then you're not going to find it in speakers selling for under $100 a pair. That said, I'm happy with mine.

I'm not looking for perfect, but I would certainly like some with some nice clean high's and that can keep up with a fairly decent sub setup.

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
I just ordered two pair of Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers and Shelby Kicker KA-8-Woofers. There's a good thread on MM about installing this exact set up and the OP felt the new subs are a big improvement too. I like to turn it up and can't wait to install these :beerdrink:

Beef

Reaction score
So has anyone installed these speakers using the base radio package?? Wondering if the base head unit will give these enough juice......

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
So far, I love them, major improvement. I'll post some pics of my install when I get a chance.

They sound so much better down low than the stock speakers.

HOTRODD77

forum member
Reaction score
Well. I went ahead and bought two for the front, installed them this evening. Much, much better sound! I already want 2 for the back, damnit. Then I'm going to want a small sub for a little more kick; I should've never looked in this thread. Do any of you guys have any photos of where/how you mounted the crossover? That thing was just a bitch to deal with. I ended up flipping the speaker so the crossover wire would come out where the original harness wire went in and mounted them on the inside of the door. It's kinda wedged right in between the speaker and the defroster tube that runs up to the door vent. Thats all I could figure out so far. Any other suggestions? It fits okay, but there is a little bow in the door panel because that things so thick. It's hidden by the dash, so it's not a huge deal, but it's probably going to bother me if there's a better way, lol.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I just used 3M double sided tape to hold them on. Even in the Florida heat, the rear ones are still mounted, so I hope the ones in the doors are as well!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back