Mustang, explorer, ranger engine.

FourO

Machinist
Reaction score
Im looking to mod my own heads but I dont want to take my car apart just yet. I found a good deal on some 2002-2005 4.0sohc heads off of an explorer and I have no idea if these are the exact same heads that my mustang has.

FourO

Machinist
Reaction score
Nope, no joke. Im making an intake, and want heads to port match and figure out what way the air will flow best. I can engineer an intake, draw it on mastercam, and machine it in class, but dumb ol' me isnt 100% sure ford put EXACTLY THE SAME HEADS on all their 4.0 SOHC engines.

raverjames

Beer Advocate
Reaction score
Nope, no joke. Im making an intake, and want heads to port match and figure out what way the air will flow best. I can engineer an intake, draw it on mastercam, and machine it in class, but dumb ol' me isnt 100% sure ford put EXACTLY THE SAME HEADS on all their 4.0 SOHC engines.

Machine an intake? Or do you mean the intake runners/intake manifold. I think you need to read up a bit before taking on such a task. I mean, I spent 3 years in engine development and still would be weary of screwing with the intake manifold and head design. BTW, I am pretty sure that engine has a variable length intake manifold.

FourO

Machinist
Reaction score
Thanks for the sarcasm and the doubt. Engine design is either something you get, or something you dont get... still didnt get an answer to my original question.

raverjames

Beer Advocate
Reaction score
Thanks for the sarcasm and the doubt. Engine design is either something you get, or something you dont get... still didnt get an answer to my original question.
Because I am sure you know exactly what the swirl is on those heads...
It isn't something you just "get." It is something you learn through training and experience. If you have the training and experience to redesign a variable intake manifold and make it better, then go at it. Sure I could make it in Pro/E or Solidworks and even run some computer analysis. However, it would take a lot of testing and tuning to actually make some decent power gains with it. Then one would ask why you are spending all that time and money on the V6. Hopefully you are planning some turbocharging in the future. What are you doing for tuning?
BTW,
Explorer engine is 6-245 (4.0L, SOHC)
Mustang engine is 6-245 (4.0L, SOHC)
According to ford

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
Im looking to mod my own heads but I dont want to take my car apart just yet. I found a good deal on some 2002-2005 4.0sohc heads off of an explorer and I have no idea if these are the exact same heads that my mustang has.
hey, go over to www.mustangcollective.com and ask this. that site has the most 4.0 knowledge of all. i think there is a difference in a sensor location but i'm not positive. some peep on the collective will be able to answer you though. also there is a guy there who has made his own sheet metal intake for his and could help you out a bit, his name is popeye.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back