My buddies want to kick me in the balls! LOL

Pop'stang

Reaction score
2 years ago I agreed to let my daughter (21 at the time) drive the GT. The first time was extremely nerve racking. Today it's still difficult but she's very responsible and knows that if tries anything, it's over. Mine is a N/A GT, I can't say what I would have done if it was like yours, but I might have just locked it with the tuner to restrict power and still thrust her with it.

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
I have been letting my daughter drive "our" mustang from time to time. After all see has contributed much to it. Only in big parking lots. Needs lots of stick time.

Man if yours pulled up to the prom with your wheels she would be the one with the balls. Especially after she smokse the punk with the Camarro. HA!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
She'll be just as scared to drive it or let anything happen to it as you are about letting her drive it if she truly has the character traits you speak of. Not all children live to destroy their parents property.

Let her take it and make memories money can't buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm kinda seeing this both ways. My daughter has asked me to borrow my Mustang before. I said let me think about it. She's a super young woman. 2LT in the National Guard, 3.7GPA in college and she has a good head on her shoulders. She isn't afraid of many things, tornadoes being one of them. But she has been through two devastating ones, the one in Tuscaloosa and the one in Enterprise, AL. But I also know she has a thrill-seeker's spirit just like me.

Luckily, she almost immediately said she was just kidding, that she'd be too afraid she'd damage the front by pulling into a parking space with a concrete stop or by one of the shitty entry ways we have here in Florida. I was honest with her and told her that while I trust her to do the right thing, I also know she likes to push the limits just like her old man. But that due to her inexperience in RWD, high HP cars, I'd be worried not for the car, fuck the car...it can be fixed or replaced...I'd be worried about her safety if her inexperience got her into a situation she couldn't drive out of. And seriously, that WAS/IS my main concern.

So the answer was to let her drive it with me in the car. She was happy with that decision and thrilled with my out spoken concern for her safety and with my having expressed my trust in her. Eventually, I'll let her drive it on her own a little bit. But not when her boyfriend is in town with her. LOL!

2 years ago I agreed to let my daughter (21 at the time) drive the GT. The first time was extremely nerve racking. Today it's still difficult but she's very responsible and knows that if tries anything, it's over. Mine is a N/A GT, I can't say what I would have done if it was like yours, but I might have just locked it with the tuner to restrict power and still thrust her with it.

Oh my. If I were a flaming asshole, the things I could say.....:omfg::naughty1::roflmao:

But since I also have a 21 year old daughter, I'll keep my comments to myself!

ModTechRacing

forum member
Reaction score
As long as she respects the type of power that thing makes and you make sure she does. I'm sure everything will end up being just fine.

dirtfan71

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be afraid for her safety. I have a n/a GT and will not let any of my daughters drive it. The oldest is a terrible driver and I tell the other two they can drive it when she gets to. I am just too scared they will hurt themselves the car can be replaced,

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
well let's see,18 years old, 700 horsepower, can't drive a stick. I would be more worried that she made it home alive. I would hate to see a couple deputies knocking on your door around midnight. JMO, good luck.

TimMcc

Reaction score
I'd definitely pursue the my key scenario. I trust myself with my car, but even then the limits can be found really fast with a quick jab of the throttle. High rwhp cars command a lot of respect.

I think it's great you trust her, but there's a thing called peer pressure where the BF might say "just goose the throttle once".

I'm sure it will come out fine. Good luck!!

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
She'll be just as scared to drive it or let anything happen to it as you are about letting her drive it if she truly has the character traits you speak of. Not all children live to destroy their parents property.

Let her take it and make memories money can't buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Klassic all the way on this!! Let her take it out and have memories that will last forever! Just remember to pray before she backs it out I the driveway! Lol! Jk!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you what to do on this but I will share some of my experience with 18 yr old daughters! Bit, first I have to ask, why in the he'll do none of you guys teach your kids to drive? My father taught me before I was 10, and I started teaching mine at about 10!! Of course I live in the country.
When my daughter and step daughter were in high school they needed a car to go to school in, rum around in etc. I couldn't afford two so, at the time I had a 89 LX fox vert. that I had bought cheap and planned to modify. It was 5.0-5 speed, they both knew how to drive a standard well and it was stock but strong!! So I said what the heck they're good girls, I can trust them. So I did, and they drove the car for their sophomore - senior years of high school. No wrecks, no tickets, no problems right? Until about 5 yrs after they got out of high school I was at a friend house who had a son about their age and a few of his friends were there and they start telling me about my girls and their "racing legend status" among that generation in the area!!!!!!

And that my friend is all I'm going to say!! Trust your daughter in your 700 hp mustang if you want to, but be prepared for the stories you will here later!!!!! Good luck!!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
She can be the smartest kid in the world, but peer pressure is peer pressure. Don't say "not my daughter" because kids are stupid the end.

As you know from your own experience, it doesn't take much pedal pressure to go into boost with a positive displacement blown car, I'd say a big no to this one.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
^^And that's what happens when your using someone else computer...

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone given any thought to what happens on prom night lol. id hate to see some love stains in my car hahaha. sorry, i had to. in all seriousness though, even if she can control the car in a normal situation what if,,,,,,

someone at school has a grudge against her, or the car and vandalizes it?
she gets caught up in the moment, punches it show off and over corrects?
what if the guy she is with pressures her into showing off, or doing something stupid?

that said i still think its a cool idea. what about a compromise? toss her the keys to the car, follow her in another car to the prom. she makes her arrival, her friends see it etc. she goes into the prom, you take the 2nd set of keys and bring it back home. when the prom is near over, have her call you to bring the car back so she can leave the prom in the car. this way you keep tabs on it, on her, and ensure she is safe and noone vandalizes it

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
Just reduce the journey down. You drive her three or four blocks from the date's house, get out and let her drive the rest of the way. She picks him up and you follow in a second vehicle. And have her call you when she's leaving to take her date back home so you can follow her.

Of course my daughter is only 4, so I'm super paranoid. lol

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
Id think if she started driving it now and drove it enough before then she'd be used to it/ able to handle it. Biggest thing id be worried about is the dumb asses around her, would really suck to have some other 18 yr old hit the car or do something stupid to it just cause its a nice car. then again someone could hit you with you driving it. good luck with whatever you decide

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Ask your tuner to send you a tune limited to 2.5K rpms and 35 mph !!!!!!!!!!! (same as a valet parking tune some guys use)

Oh and GL to your daughter too.

Id also say no to the Mustang, its cool for you to trust her a lot, thats great, but then again 700hp is not safe in any means to someone who is starting to drive stick, well even if it was an auto that'd be dangerous lol ... just my 0.02

Last edited:

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
perhaps with a 25 mph limiter.

haha my wife wanted to drive mine, I just grabbed my sct and set it to 40 mph tops.

was still nervous, as she's never driven a car over 80 HP...she thought she had to give it gas....terrible terrible trip to the road, then I told her get out!
But forgot my speed limiter SMH

But unfortunately I'd have to agree...no

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Id also say no to the Mustang, its cool for you to trust her a lot, thats great, but then again 700hp is not safe in any means to someone who is starting to drive stick, well even if it was an auto that'd be dangerous lol ... just my 0.02

Agreed. Trust is great...but it only takes a millisecond to get into some serious trouble with 700+ hp in a street car...especially for someone not that experienced nor familiar with the car.

Rent her a Mustang. Giving her your car is like handing her a loaded gun and telling her to be careful. She may very well be fine, but the consequences for a minor misstep seem pretty severe.

FWIW - I am the father of 15- and 12- year-old daughters.

Back