My nightmare trying to get my 2005 GT to run.

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
Basically here's what's going on.

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang GT. It had a Vortech V-2 Supercharger on it, but somehow the impeller shaft became bent causing the impeller to rub against the housing of the supercharger.

I replaced the supercharger with a freshly rebuilt by Vortech (or so the guy says.. It looks pretty clean and flawless though). It's a Vortech V-1 T-Trim. It's the only one I could find in my area.. so I went ahead and bought it.

I threw it in the car.. and everything lined up. I only replaced the Supercharger, I kept my whole intake, pulley, and piping.

I drove the car and it ran pretty good. Drove it for a half hour, turned it on and off a couple times, and ran it pretty hard. As soon as I got home, I got a CEL. I pulled the codes using my SCT Tuner, and it said "P2196 and a P2198".

The next day I went out to my car and tried to start it.. it started, idled really bad for about 10 seconds, then died. I tried starting it again, but it just cranked and cranked and did nothing. I pushed the gas pedal down to the floor and it finally started.. but it was still pretty rough and died 2-4 seconds later.

I checked over everything I took apart and everything was installed properly. All vacuum lines, connectors, and piping was connected properly.

After messing around on another message board, someone suggested I pulled the plugs. Pulled them, and they look like crap. They're only 5,000 miles old. I cleaned them and put them back in the car.. still didn't start.

Another post suggested I tried disconnecting the Mass Air Flow Sensor and starting the car. I did, and the car started right up. Ran like crap, but it started and idled. So, I went and got another mass air flow sensor and threw it in.. after letting the car idle for a half hour or so, the car was running pretty damn good. Was still starting up weird, but it was running.

I drove it around and got another CEL. This time for a P0600, P2105, P2196, P2198, and U0300. It didn't feel like it was running 100% either.

I'm not sure what to do or what to look at next. I tried spraying down all the vacuum lines and the whole intake with brake cleaner to see if there was a leak and the idle didn't fluctuate at all.

Mods:
Vortech V-1 T-Trim Supercharger
Boost-A-Pump
Larger injectors (I believe 38lb)
Autolite HT0 Spark Plugs
Flowmaster Mufflers
SCT Tuner w/ Brenspeed Custom Tune (until I get it dyno tuned)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other message boards, but here's my post on another site:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ions/662295-now-my-car-wont-start-lovely.html

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Your sig says you aren't sure about the injector size. Do you have a pic of them? What did you tell Brenspeed you had? Have you datalogged anything? I'd start with short term and long term fuel trims to see how close the fuel and maf system is in closed loop.

I'd also get a new set of plugs.

Basically here's what's going on.

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang GT. It had a Vortech V-2 Supercharger on it, but somehow the impeller shaft became bent causing the impeller to rub against the housing of the supercharger.

I replaced the supercharger with a freshly rebuilt by Vortech (or so the guy says.. It looks pretty clean and flawless though). It's a Vortech V-1 T-Trim. It's the only one I could find in my area.. so I went ahead and bought it.

I threw it in the car.. and everything lined up. I only replaced the Supercharger, I kept my whole intake, pulley, and piping.

I drove the car and it ran pretty good. Drove it for a half hour, turned it on and off a couple times, and ran it pretty hard. As soon as I got home, I got a CEL. I pulled the codes using my SCT Tuner, and it said "P2196 and a P2198".

The next day I went out to my car and tried to start it.. it started, idled really bad for about 10 seconds, then died. I tried starting it again, but it just cranked and cranked and did nothing. I pushed the gas pedal down to the floor and it finally started.. but it was still pretty rough and died 2-4 seconds later.

I checked over everything I took apart and everything was installed properly. All vacuum lines, connectors, and piping was connected properly.

After messing around on another message board, someone suggested I pulled the plugs. Pulled them, and they look like crap. They're only 5,000 miles old. I cleaned them and put them back in the car.. still didn't start.

Another post suggested I tried disconnecting the Mass Air Flow Sensor and starting the car. I did, and the car started right up. Ran like crap, but it started and idled. So, I went and got another mass air flow sensor and threw it in.. after letting the car idle for a half hour or so, the car was running pretty damn good. Was still starting up weird, but it was running.

I drove it around and got another CEL. This time for a P0600, P2105, P2196, P2198, and U0300. It didn't feel like it was running 100% either.

I'm not sure what to do or what to look at next. I tried spraying down all the vacuum lines and the whole intake with brake cleaner to see if there was a leak and the idle didn't fluctuate at all.

Mods:
Vortech V-1 T-Trim Supercharger
Boost-A-Pump
Larger injectors (I believe 38lb)
Autolite HT0 Spark Plugs
Flowmaster Mufflers
SCT Tuner w/ Brenspeed Custom Tune (until I get it dyno tuned)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Did you look up the 2 codes? ...says both O2 sensors running very rich.With different air flow characteristics, the tune's probably using too much fuel for the blower you're using.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I vote running too rich...

You said when you pushed the pedal all the way down, it started. What that does is actually clean the system out and lets you crank it. Once you get it running, hold it above 1500rpm or more (whatever it takes to stay cranked). You should only have to do this for about 20seconds or so. It should then hold an idle. If this works, you have a cold start issue with the fuel tables too rich. Or it could be completely rich across the entire table.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know I am being Captain Obvious here but, get the thing on a dyno and tune it and get it running perfect..There is no better feeling when driving my car knowing that I have a badass tune...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Did you look up the 2 codes? ...says both O2 sensors running very rich.With different air flow characteristics, the tune's probably using too much fuel for the blower you're using.

It has to be over 26% to get those codes which is why I think the wrong injector data is in the tune. A value file maf xfer wouldn't be that far off. A picture of an injector with the part number would go along way towards identifiying what he has.

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
Just got home from work and tried starting the car with the new mass air flow sensor.. and the car wouldn't start. Which is weird, yesterday it would. But, it starts when the mass air flow sensor is unplugged.

Brenspeed is saying that the two superchargers are almost the same and that there is no difference in the tune for them as long as I'm using the same pulley, which I am. I agree with the running rich ideas, but I just don't know why all of the sudden. Heck, go back a couple months ago and people on the forums were thinking I was running too lean since I was running the stock fuel pump -_-.

I haven't datalogged anything, I'm not sure how to do it or what to look for on it.
I don't have a picture of my injectors either.. but they're light blue and have this number on them: "0 280 156 127"

I totally plan on having it dyno tuned in the next week or two. Just gotta wait for my tax return to get here so I have the money to get it done.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Glad you made it over here to make a post man.

Did you say on the other forum that you bought the car with the vortech already installed? Are you still running the tune that came on the car when you bought it? If so do you know the specifics of the tune and that nothing else has been changed since that tune was written?

Aren't the blue tipped injectors the 80s? I know my 80s are black with blue on them.

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
Glad you made it over here to make a post man.

Did you say on the other forum that you bought the car with the vortech already installed? Are you still running the tune that came on the car when you bought it? If so do you know the specifics of the tune and that nothing else has been changed since that tune was written?

Aren't the blue tipped injectors the 80s? I know my 80s are black with blue on them.

Thanks for recommending I come over here!
The vortech v-2 was installed on the car before I got it. I'm not sure what tune it had (if it had one at all), but I went and got a brenspeed tune on it. I know my brother found out what injectors it had, I just can't remember what they are now. The car has been running on this tune for the last 5 months (5,000 miles) and has been fine. Haven't gotten any check engine lights or had any problems.

The injectors are completely blue. No black on them at all.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for recommending I come over here!
The vortech v-2 was installed on the car before I got it. I'm not sure what tune it had (if it had one at all), but I went and got a brenspeed tune on it. I know my brother found out what injectors it had, I just can't remember what they are now. The car has been running on this tune for the last 5 months (5,000 miles) and has been fine. Haven't gotten any check engine lights or had any problems.

The injectors are completely blue. No black on them at all.

That part number is for a bosch 39 lb @ 3 bar.

Hold on now, it just went bad after getting the brenspeed tune? Sorry I didn't go over to MF but I'm on a self imposed ban from there.

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
That part number is for a bosch 39 lb @ 3 bar.

Hold on now, it just went bad after getting the brenspeed tune? Sorry I didn't go over to MF but I'm on a self imposed ban from there.

Nope. It has been running the Brenspeed tune for the past 5 months / 5,000 miles without any problems. No check engine lights, has been running pretty good.. Just started doing this after the S/C Swap

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
Everythings tightened up. All clamps are tight and everything is on how it's suppose to be.. The only vaccum line I unplugged is plugged back in (goes from the T at the fuel pressure regulator to the "blow off valve" (not sure what the actual name is)). The only connector I disconnected was the mass air flow sensor.

I've reinstalled the tune, that didn't help. Left the battery unhooked for 24 hours, then reinstalled it again.. still didn't help

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Does the maf wiring need to be extended on a vortech kit? Just thinking out loud here...

Jrd761

Warranty = Voided
Reaction score
Does the maf wiring need to be extended on a vortech kit? Just thinking out loud here...

I don't believe it is extended. I modified it when I did the IAT relocate kit 5 months ago, but all the wiring looks fine.

Checked all the fuses, they're good.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
I would go through the install checklist and double check you didn't fuck something up.

I had a dead miss after my KB install and after chasing it around for a month I found the coil wires comepletly cut in half. I have no idea how or why it happened, but it did.

If you were running the same tune as before and never messed with it, there something mechanically wrong with your car.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back