N/A Engine Belt Squeak

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question about belt slip after installing the under run pulleys. I have had the pulleys installed for a while with no problems. Now that it is in the high 40’s / low 50’s and damp in the morning, when the car is first started the belt squeaks a few times. After about 120 seconds it stops. I tried replacing the belt with a factory replacement, but I have the same issue. In the heat of the day it's fine.

Any ideas? I don’t see any adjustments on the tensioner. Do you know if I can adjust the preload? Should I get a shorter belt?
.:giveup:

spyder7724

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question about belt slip after installing the under run pulleys. I have had the pulleys installed for a while with no problems. Now that it is in the high 40’s / low 50’s and damp in the morning, when the car is first started the belt squeaks a few times. After about 120 seconds it stops. I tried replacing the belt with a factory replacement, but I have the same issue. In the heat of the day it's fine.

Any ideas? I don’t see any adjustments on the tensioner. Do you know if I can adjust the preload? Should I get a shorter belt?
.:giveup:
sounds to me like you need a shorter belt. i had to get a belt that was 4-5 inches shorter when i switched to the lower UDP/e-w/p setup.
if you go to the auto store have them measure your belt(should be 101.5" then get one like 98.5" or 99.5" and try it.
i use a 98.5" belt for street use and the 85" belt for the p/s delete when i race.

06roush

forum member
Reaction score
soaps always worked for me on my parents cars.. i havent had the problem on my mustang but whenever the belt got sqeeky, id turn on the car, take a bar of soap and let the belt run over the soap.. after a couple seconds, the noise would go away.. idk if itll work cause you might need a new belt but idk its worth a shot..

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
sounds to me like you need a shorter belt. i had to get a belt that was 4-5 inches shorter when i switched to the lower UDP/e-w/p setup.
if you go to the auto store have them measure your belt(should be 101.5" then get one like 98.5" or 99.5" and try it.
i use a 98.5" belt for street use and the 85" belt for the p/s delete when i race.

Cool, i'll take it down and get a few to try. I think once i switch to FI, I am going to have fun figuring out SC pulley and belt size. Love the UR Pulley though. Never would have thought I would "feel" the improvement, but I did. Most noticable cruising around town, not so much at WOT. Saw a consistant 1/10 of my times too.

Hey, slightly off topic, will your DS work on my car with the FFRP FR500C system? Check this out for a bit more details. It's pretty low.

Check out this post... http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43638&postcount=6

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
Cool, i'll take it down and get a few to try. I think once i switch to FI, I am going to have fun figuring out SC pulley and belt size. Love the UR Pulley though. Never would have thought I would "feel" the improvement, but I did. Most noticable cruising around town, not so much at WOT. Saw a consistant 1/10 of my times too.

Hey, slightly off topic, will your DS work on my car with the FFRP FR500C system? Check this out for a bit more details. It's pretty low.

Check out this post... http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43638&postcount=6
how low is it from stock?
if it's 2"or more you will definitely need to adjust the pinion angle. i've had my car lowered 2.75" from stock with no clearance issues after the p/a was corrected. thats probably close to the limit with my driveshaft though.
it you really like the car slammed and it's 3" dropped then i suggest keeping the stock shaft in it.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
how low is it from stock?
if it's 2"or more you will definitely need to adjust the pinion angle. i've had my car lowered 2.75" from stock with no clearance issues after the p/a was corrected. thats probably close to the limit with my driveshaft though.
it you really like the car slammed and it's 3" dropped then i suggest keeping the stock shaft in it.

Sounds like you are lower than I am by about a 1/4 in. so I should be good. I have to throw some Adj LCA's. The upper isn't cutting it.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Sounds like you are lower than I am by about a 1/4 in. so I should be good. I have to throw some Adj LCA's. The upper isn't cutting it.
i actually raised mine up some so it works better at the track. i'm only about 1" lowered all around now

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back