Need Power Source with KEY ON only for Camera.

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have an in-dash Raxiom unit with an extra A/V port for a Frontal-mount camera..Just need the power supply...want to use a power supply with Key On only.

Any suggestions as to the most convenient wire to use for for Key On power supply. The camera is running from the front grille around the fender to the inside, to the back of the unit, so even a power supply close to the front of the car with Key On would work. If you know of one behind the console, I will just run the power wires along with the RCA wires from the front to the back of my Raxiom unit.

Thanks
RC

Vin302

forum member
Reaction score
Passenger side kick panel fuse box the convertible top fuse will be empty if your car is a coupe. Im like 98% sure its a switched power source, cant recall from 2 years ago.

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Passenger side kick panel fuse box the convertible top fuse will be empty if your car is a coupe. Im like 98% sure its a switched power source, cant recall from 2 years ago.

How do you physically connect the wires to that spot? You can connect the positive and ground? Do you use a fuse in that spot? Sorry, don't want to blow up anything.
Thanks
RC

Vin302

forum member
Reaction score
any part store should have a add a circuit set up. Make sure its a mini not a standard blade.plug it in the blank fuse spot then add a fuse to it and crimp your power lead to the butt connector and your all set.
If you put the fuse in and its not working put the fuse in the other location.
$_35.JPG
thats what they look like.

And for the ground just use a eyelet connector and screw it to the chassis, or just find a factory ground remove the bolt and put the eyelet through the bolt with the other eyelet and thats your ground.

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
the convertible is hot all the time. You can try the video camera port #F29 which is switched if your car doesn't have factory camera.

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
any part store should have a add a circuit set up. Make sure its a mini not a standard blade.plug it in the blank fuse spot then add a fuse to it and crimp your power lead to the butt connector and your all set.
If you put the fuse in and its not working put the fuse in the other location.
$_35.JPG
thats what they look like.

And for the ground just use a eyelet connector and screw it to the chassis, or just find a factory ground remove the bolt and put the eyelet through the bolt with the other eyelet and thats your ground.

Couple questions on this particular piece:
1. Do I remove a current fuse and insert this one?
2. Does it matter the amps on that fuse slot or the amps on the fuse I use for my setup?

Thanks
RC

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score

Ok, I didn't know the local auto store had these so I picked one up. I looked at the Manual and it said that 32 and 33 are "EMPTY SLOTS" I took the tester and checked the circuit is closed with the 2 additional amps on top then plugged it in. Got 0v with key off and 11.5ish with the key on. Used slot 33. I showed the picture there. When I get the camera Thursday, I can just wire the RCA jacks to the back of the Nav unit then find a ground connect the hot wire to that extension.
Thanks for the replies.
RC

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
<thread-jack mode>

Is there a similar 5-volt, switched slot in that neighborhood?

I want to hook up my new "head-up" MPH display. It comes with a 12-volt lighter plug that transforms the 12-volt to 5-volt. Is there a small in-line 12v to 5v transformer I could splice into a switched 12v line?

</thread-jack> <apology mode>

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
where did you get the camera?
http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameras/Front-Facing-Car-Camera-Bullet-Camera
<thread-jack mode>

I want to hook up my new "head-up" MPH display. It comes with a 12-volt lighter plug that transforms the 12-volt to 5-volt. Is there a small in-line 12v to 5v transformer I could splice into a switched 12v line?

I would think since everything powered in the car comes from a 12v battery that all the connections would be 12 volts. Show us a picture of that transformer thingy you're talking about.
RC

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameras/Front-Facing-Car-Camera-Bullet-Camera

I would think since everything powered in the car comes from a 12v battery that all the connections would be 12 volts. Show us a picture of that transformer thingy you're talking about.
RC

I'd guess the chances of finding a 5-volt place to tap is small. The lighter-plug is big and clumsy, but it's possible to wire such a receptacle somewhere out of sight. The 12v to 5v "USB Type" adapter cable is large and stiff. Perhaps there is a cable like this that is more flexible and terminated on the source end with something other than a lighter plug.

No hurry, no worry. The GPS speed display works well, even in direct sun. I'm going to try it with a double layer of the film, that looks like regular window-darkening material, so the background reflections don't show through as much.

HeadsUpdisplayDrawings.jpg

HeadsUpdisplayText.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
probably the best way would just be to buy a 12v to 5v converter and wire it in as such

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
probably the best way would just be to buy a 12v to 5v converter and wire it in as such

Thank you.

A little research reveals such devices are under ten dollars. One of those and a tap-a-new-circuit plug should do it.

Not as big a challenge as I had expected.

Thanks again.

travelers

Reaction score
<thread-jack mode>

Ok where did you get the HUD setup???????

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Searched Amazon.com for
"GPS Head-Up Display Speedometer"

Chose the one by SEI. Several others available.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back