10 amp power source in cabin?

Enfield

Reaction score
Upholsterer installed heating elements when refurbishing my front seats, but he declined to hook up the wiring. The kit he sold me comes prewired with switches, controllers, and relays already assembled; all I need to do is connect them to a switched 12v circuit. With console and center stack removed, it's easy to see candidates for that connection.

That leaves the connection of the fused 16-gauge power leads to a suitable source. Is there a terminal inside the cabin that I can use for this purpose, or should I just run them to the battery + ? I'm a bit hesitant to plug them into a spare fuse socket in the SJB via add-a-circuit.

All suggestions appreciated, and I hope this question meets criteria for Tech forum.

Enfield

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
It’s real easy to run a heavy 10 gauge wire directly from the battery into the cabin and get a small add-on fuse box from Amazon that has 4-6 spots for additional circuits . Hide it behind glove box.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
You should use a 12v / 30A relay to switch the power on and off. Otherwise your heated seats could stay on with the ignition turned off. One side of the relay connects to any switched source. This activates / deactivates the relay and the other side of the relay routes power directly from the battery through the relay, to the seats. Always have an appropriate fuse at / near the battery. In your case probably a 20A or 30A fuse.

Relay: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NF0ICS...bc_BY9NJHNXD0HH3F8AFXXD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Enfield

Reaction score
1. Where is the best place to run the 10 ga. wire through the firewall?

2. As it happens, there was a relay with the exact same terminal markings sitting on the upholsterer's desk when I paid him. He was vague about its provenance, but I took it anyway. [Guess the guy just doesn't want any liability assumed or expressed when it comes to wiring heated seats.] Is there a universal scheme for connecting to terminals arranged thus?
86 87a 85
3. From vendor:
The Black wire is your Ground. The thick red wire is for your constant 12 volt 10amp minimum power. The thin red wire is your remote/trigger wire that is to be attached to an ignition switched power source. The unit has its own built in relay so wiring it in this way allows it to become a switched accessory.
05_seatheater_wiringharness.jpg

This makes it somewhat unclear as to whether the external relay is needed, but if it can be included there is that much more protection.

Thanks for the advice; please keep it coming.

Enfield

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
If it has its own internal relay then you don't need a second one. The big 10ga wire can go direct to the battery, and the smaller wire for accessory power can be connected to just about any source that has 12v + when the ignition is on. Lastly... Ground goes to chassis bare metal

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Laga

Reaction score
There is a rubber grommet underneath the battery that goes through the fire wall. I used a piece of 1/4" rod with a sharpened end and a little silicon grease. It is very easy to poke a hole through this and run a wire. There is another one on the drivers side next to the steering column, but you need to remove wheel and fender liner to access it.

Enfield

Reaction score
There is a rubber grommet underneath the battery that goes through the fire wall. I used a piece of 1/4" rod with a sharpened end and a little silicon grease. It is very easy to poke a hole through this and run a wire. There is another one on the drivers side next to the steering column, but you need to remove wheel and fender liner to access it.

Found the grommet behind the battery about 1" up from bottom of its tray, but can't see it from the cabin side. Do you have to remove the blower motor?

Laga

Reaction score
It’s below the tray. Remove the battery and tray. 5 minutes.
IIRC , it’s oval in shape. You should be able to see it from the inside with a flashlight, just to the left, towards center of car, of the blower.

Enfield

Reaction score
At a guess, convertibles have their firewall through-puts in slightly different locations. Even with a 3" pick through the oval-shaped grommet behind [not below] the battery there was no finding it from inside. Went with the one behind driver's side fender liner, with all connections mounted in front of the glove box. Ended up using "Ideal" push-in connectors and 12-gauge from the battery with inline fuse at source; still good for 20 amps.
Thanks for the support, Enfield

teeje

Reaction score
I would get one of those add a fuse things. I bought some awhile ago. They have two fuse slots. One for your added accessory and the other for the stock power source. I can post a link if you'd like. I think I used the third 10amp fuse on the bottom row of the sjb.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Damn saw this one too late. This is the grommet I think they were talking about. It's behind the front passenger side fender liner

PXL_20210311_153704267.MP.jpg PXL_20210311_155615859.jpg

Enfield

Reaction score
Too late for the passenger side grommet, but the one I used is fine for the purpose. The SJB 3rd fuse from bottom left is what I used: mirror, and it's switched. So, heated seats just in time for warm weather, but my old back is still thankful.
Enfield

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back