Need to get back into detailing

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Im looking to get back into detailing now that I have insurance back on the summer car. I have quite a few products leftover from a year or so ago and I am just asking for a refresh on my thoughts, I may have a few out of order.
I have leftover - chemical guys car wash, new mild clay bar, V7 spray detailer, blacklight polish, and lava wax.

Is my order correct? wash car, clay bar with leftover turtle wax quick detailer spray, wash car, blacklight polish, and lastly my wax?

Would a cleaner wax be needed or beneficiary prior to my polish?

I have taken the best care I have been able to on the past and swirls are not really prevalent to my eyes and I dont have a DA, so applications will be done by hand. Im not attempting to do any paint correction, im just trying to make what I have work for me.

Thanks.

Last edited:

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Curious as to peoples experience with the ole clay bar - never tried one.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score

When you feel all the junk that gets on the clay, it will make you think about it. i always went with a mild clay, plenty of quick detailer, and not much pressure on the surface.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
You would use the V7 after your wax if needed as it is just a quick detailer. So you would wash, clay, wash, blacklight, wax, and then V7. Keep in mind blacklight really isn't a polish it's a glaze. You may remove some minor defects but all your doing wiht blacklight is "filling" the defects.

28ONE

Reaction score
You would use the V7 after your wax if needed as it is just a quick detailer. So you would wash, clay, wash, blacklight, wax, and then V7. Keep in mind blacklight really isn't a polish it's a glaze. You may remove some minor defects but all your doing wiht blacklight is "filling" the defects.

In addition to the above, I'd suggest adding and IronX decon before claying. This will give the paint a deep cleaning...

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score

Watch AMMO NYC (DRIVE/CLEAN is the same guy), AutoGeek, or ChemicalGuys videos on YouTube about clay bars. Clay bars won't solve all the issues that an actual Paint Correction process does, but it is a step in prepping the surface for PC. Even if you just do a proper wash and clay, the car can look better. It removes a lot of the contaminants that regular washing can't.

VVV That picture in the sig was just wash and clay, before I was able to do PC VVV

gtman

forum member
Reaction score

Sounds good, I was considering adding a cleaner or polish to the mix before the blacklight. I had so many polishes in the past, I dont know what happened to them.

I may need to buy a polish to throw in the mix.

28ONE

Reaction score
Sounds good, I was considering adding a cleaner or polish to the mix before the blacklight. I had so many polishes in the past, I dont know what happened to them.

I may need to buy a polish to throw in the mix.

Tryout HD Polish

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Just found my old meguiars polish, hope this will do before the blacklight and lava wax.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help.im going to try and get my shit together and start next week.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Tryout HD Polish

HD Polish from 3D? I love their products. HD Adapt and HD Speed are my goto for a majority of my detailing customers that aren't paying for my higher end detail jobs. I just used HD Polish on my wife's Audi S5 the other day actually in order to prep it for the coating it got. Phenomenal product line.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
HD Polish from 3D? I love their products. HD Adapt and HD Speed are my goto for a majority of my detailing customers that aren't paying for my higher end detail jobs. I just used HD Polish on my wife's Audi S5 the other day actually in order to prep it for the coating it got. Phenomenal product line.

I saw one selling for like $26 for a 32oz bottle. Would this be a great addition to my lineup? I read about the micro abrasives in it and other stuff, but I figured most of my current shine was coming from the coats of blacklight, which would be used after the hd polish if I bought it anyway. Thats why I was under the impression that a polish with a better filling agent would be better off for me?

Idk, is the hd polish that good even for me to use before blacklight? Oh, and I know this isnt the best way, but I dont own a da and I do all my applications by hand.

Thanks guys. Would place the order this week if the feedback is that good on the product.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Spend the $100 and get a DA! HD Speed with a green or orange pad (depending on severity of the light swirls) on speed 5-6 yields awesome results!

Yes, HD Speed is worth the investment, to me. I use it on 90% of the cars that we do and follow it up with CG Butter Wax, DuraSeal, or WG's Deep Gloss

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Spend the $100 and get a DA! HD Speed with a green or orange pad (depending on severity of the light swirls) on speed 5-6 yields awesome results!

Yes, HD Speed is worth the investment, to me. I use it on 90% of the cars that we do and follow it up with CG Butter Wax, DuraSeal, or WG's Deep Gloss

Thats some good products you use there. I know i need a da, I used to be a full time detailer before college.
My problem is, I was used to the big bucket professional volume stuff and not all this new technology/nano/synthetic/sealants type of products.

Anyone else have great results with the hd polish?

Thanks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back