New Alignment Parts From Ford Racing

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed this new Adjustable Bolt Kit from Ford Racing. It is designed for 2005-2014 Ford Mustangs to allow for Caster/Camber Adjustments. All of the Bolts are eccentric and with minor adjustments allow the Tech do Dial in the Alignment more specifically on lowered vehicles. Less expensive alternative to upper plates.

The Kit itself retails for 99.95

M-3B236-A.jpg

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
What do these do that a pair of $30 camber bolts don't do? I know that sounds kinda assholey but I am actually curious.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
these look eccentric on the heads, dont other ones use an eccentric section in the middle of the bolt that pushes against the knuckle?

wheres the short ones used?

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
What do these do that a pair of $30 camber bolts don't do? I know that sounds kinda assholey but I am actually curious.

Caster and camber.

these look eccentric on the heads, dont other ones use an eccentric section in the middle of the bolt that pushes against the knuckle?

wheres the short ones used?

They replace one of the a-arm bolts at the rear bushing per side. Allowing the a-arm to be rotated in or out, moving the ball-joint forward or back. IIRC, one of the mounting holes on the OE k-member is slotted as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The ones that put an eccentric section in the middle aren't nearly as strong as these (and can't be torqued down nearly as much, so the joint wouldn't be as tight).

Norm

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
This is good info to know. I may have to add these to my list of things to do to the car.

Too bad I lit'rally just paid $70 to have my car aligned like three weeks ago.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The car we installed them on was a 2014 with a Front Suspension noise. There is a TSB covered for Lower Control Arms if the car is within the 3-36000 Mile Base Warranty. The Hydro Bushing on the Lower Control Arm dries out and makes noise. They are replaced with new arms and a special heat shield to keep the convertor heat away from the new bushing. This car was also slightly lowered so the customer asked us to install them while we had the old ones out. Allowed my Alignment tech to really maximize the alignment adjustments. He can be cranky at time because he is an old school Flat Rate Tech. He liked them so Maybe it is a good thing. Little more effort but more satisfied customer.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Just did another set with very good results. Allows to get more critical wit alignment adjustments. Here in South Florida Caster is a huge concern. We don't have underground drainage. Our roads crown slightly to the passenger side. With this said Caster is used to steer the car straight down the road.

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Camber bolts are janky.

Any known failures on an s197, or are we just throwing this out there? As mentioned above, the Ford bolts are a lot nicer (stronger) than others. IIRC these bolts can be torqued to OE spec.

Camber bolts allow for additional negative camber without affecting the kpi/caster ratio. At least from a handling perspective, my understanding is that assuming tire/wheel to strut clearance isn't an issue, it's best to get as much camber as needed without moving the top of the strut (and therefore increasing kpi).

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually, more KPI is beneficial for handling to an extent. Increased KPI increases the scrub radius and increases steering feel.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...ur-caster-king-pin-inclination-and-scrub.aspx

Use of camber bolts can affect strut clearance when running wider (285+) tires upfront (depending on wheel offset, etc.) Those things are just crash bolts--the chintzy solution to making a car's alignment back in spec after a teenager humps a curb with it.

So, yes, you can use crash bolts if all you want to do is put your car's alignment back to factory spec after lowering it a bit. But it is not the solution for good handling.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Any known failures on an s197, or are we just throwing this out there? As mentioned above, the Ford bolts are a lot nicer (stronger) than others. IIRC these bolts can be torqued to OE spec.
Actually there have been, but you've got to go back a few years to find discussions about it. As far as I know, this only involved the early coarse-thread OE bolts, but it should be noted that Ford has changed the strut to knuckle bolts twice since (and the knuckle once that I know of).

Usually when "camber bolts" are mentioned, it means those half-strength $30 aftermarket things. I don't have any issues with adjusting camber at the knuckle attachment, and I have actually done this myself . . . together with a fairly positive (DIY) means of holding the camber setting.

... tire/wheel to strut clearance ...
If that's not an issue (or at least very close to being one), the wheels/tires aren't wide enough.

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back