New engine knocking? Metal in the Oil?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Can running the same break in oil for 400 miles cause damage to the internals

Just depends on the amount of metal in it. A little metal leads to more metal which leads to a lot of metal which leads to engine failure. That's worst case obviously, but it's certainly important to have clean oil.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Just depends on the amount of metal in it. A little metal leads to more metal which leads to a lot of metal which leads to engine failure. That's worst case obviously, but it's certainly important to have clean oil.

I plan on changing it again in about 5-600 miles to see what its looking like

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
next time you get the vibration feel, press in the clutch and see if it makes any difference. You should be able to rule out flywheel/clutch that way as well...assuming you don't have engine damage.
You could have a vibration that's not at all related to the engine; exhaust is one, driveshaft another, etc.

But SD's the expert; take it one step at a time. He builds good shit.
I certainly hope someone didn't f'up the bottom end.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thread cleaned up... let's stay on topic please

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would go buy an oil catch pan with a paint strainer. Jack the car up with the front end about 2-3 feet off the ground and flush the motor with fresh oil. Buy a couple gallons of cheap oil and flush everything out with the strainer to catch everything coming out of the oil pan. Then add some fresh oil to it and go drive it. I would hate for more damage to happen from driving it with metal particles still in the oil.

This is just my opinion but may be the smartest thing to do to be sure everything is out of the pan. If they have particles floating around in the pan it may be picked up buy the oil pump tube and sent through the motor.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Did you reuse the same oil pan from the blown engine? Just curious..

usafimj

Reaction score
If it was me I would go buy an oil catch pan with a paint strainer. Jack the car up with the front end about 2-3 feet off the ground and flush the motor with fresh oil. Buy a couple gallons of cheap oil and flush everything out with the strainer to catch everything coming out of the oil pan. Then add some fresh oil to it and go drive it. I would hate for more damage to happen from driving it with metal particles still in the oil.

This is just my opinion but may be the smartest thing to do to be sure everything is out of the pan. If they have particles floating around in the pan it may be picked up buy the oil pump tube and sent through the motor.

Great idea. I'd definately do this

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I think you better throw in some nachos too. Peppers on the side.
Nachos rule!

You might be forgetting about those pesky little metal shavings in your oil. :thumb2:
Initial break in oil. Quit giving the kid nightmares.

On the first page is a pic of the drain plug. The tip was caked in metal shavings and there were still some on the edge of the drain hole after the oil drained out. Is that an abnormal amount of metal?
Considering how long the oil has been in there? Yup.

Also, was the block new or used? I noticed on my new block I had to really go to town with a deburring tool. There was a LOT of burrs and "hanging" metal all over that block. I would have been surprised if I didn't find metal in my oil on the startup oil change.

Splitting open the filter is a good idea, as a lot of the metal in the oil is probably aluminum which a magnet wouldn't pick up.
Block was new. Did quite a bit of deburring but when I shipped the engine it was not complete (sealed). Didn't have the oil pan or front cover. No telling what the shop assembling the rest has done.

thread cleaned up... let's stay on topic please
What did I miss???? Who was talkin' shit????

Get a magnetic drain plug and see what that pics up also.
He has one, thank you. Read the entire thread and try to keep up, will ya?

FastOrange

forum member
Reaction score
A spark plug that has backed out because it wasnt in tight enough will make an intermittent puffing sound from the engin compartment. I had that happen to my car, it ate the spark plug strap when it happened and low and behold there was metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug when this happened. Give them a check too. This just sounds eerily familiar to a situation I've experienced.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
A spark plug that has backed out because it wasnt in tight enough will make an intermittent puffing sound from the engin compartment. I had that happen to my car, it ate the spark plug strap when it happened and low and behold there was metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug when this happened. Give them a check too. This just sounds eerily familiar to a situation I've experienced.

I'll check that out, thanks!

just curious about that oil pan......looks like a home made job......

It def is not a home made job, it is a Moroso pan, just painted real shitty with a rattle can

Dr Detail

Reaction score
Man I hope this turns out to be a minor problem........Good Luck!!

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
That sounds very close to how I described what turned out to be my exhaust hanger banging off the transmission crossmember bolthead. I thought I had something loose or a bolt was rattling around the engine.

Exact same thing happened to me with my offroad H - an intermittent loud banging on the floorboard. Use a cutoff wheel or a sawzall and get rid of the hangers. You don't need them.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me with my offroad H - an intermittent loud banging on the floorboard. Use a cutoff wheel or a sawzall and get rid of the hangers. You don't need them.

I just zipped a tyrap around the hanger to act as a cushion between the hanger and the bolt. worked great.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Got some good news. Took the car out today and I'm about 100% positive it isn't coming from the motor, but I have no idea what it could be? Maybe a loose brake or something? I took some video though and luckily you can hear it in the video but my little canon records in hd so I gotta compress the vid first, hopefully someone here knows what could be causing it!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back