New steering rack...

sweir69

Reaction score
I'm about to replace my rack and pinion on my '07 GT Stang. When I get the new rack, how do I know that it is "centered" or properly timed to my steering column? I know that I cannot turn the steering column while the column is disconnected, but how do I know that the new rack is in the proper relative position to the column and ready to hook back up? Thanks!!

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Ian going to pull mine out to go to a manual rack.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I'm about to replace my rack and pinion on my '07 GT Stang. When I get the new rack, how do I know that it is "centered" or properly timed to my steering column? I know that I cannot turn the steering column while the column is disconnected, but how do I know that the new rack is in the proper relative position to the column and ready to hook back up? Thanks!!

You can turn the steering shaft itself all the way in one direction and then turn it all the way back. Count the rotations of the shaft. Turn back half way.

sweir69

Reaction score
Where are you located? Ian going to pull mine out to go to a manual rack.
Wichita, Ks.

You can turn the steering shaft itself all the way in one direction and then turn it all the way back. Count the rotations of the shaft. Turn back half way.
WOW...simple...but makes sense! Thanks!!:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
It should be shipped to you centered. Center your steering wheel prior to removing the old one and don't turn it. The steering shaft should slide right over the new one with very little movement.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It should be shipped to you centered. Center your steering wheel prior to removing the old one and don't turn it. The steering shaft should slide right over the new one with very little movement.

In a perfect world. Always check first. Easier to check than do the job twice.

sweir69

Reaction score
In a perfect world. Always check first. Easier to check than do the job twice.
While I HOPED that it would be shipped centered, I agree with YOU...in a perfect world. Your earlier advice is simple, and makes sense. I know about the airbag clockspring, and centering the wheels. Your technique for checking the centering of the new rack seems spot on!!

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
I've changed 1 entire steering rack and got it centered perfectly on the first shot... when i was done with the install, the steering wheel was perfectly centered as it was before the install and the toe alignment was virtually unchanged.

1. What you need to do it get a pen and paper.
2. Center the Steering wheel.
3. Remove the rack with the tie rod ends still attached.
4. Break free the tie-rod lock nuts and count how many times you had to rotate them before they fall off the inner tie rod, then write it down.
5. Re-install the tie rods onto the new rack using the same amount of turns to get them on as it took to remove them from the old rack, Then lock them in with the lock nut.
6. Install the Rack and attach the tie rods to the wheel hub.
7. Now before installing the column onto the rack, make sure the front wheels appear to be as straight as they were before you removed anything.
8. Check the steering wheel and verify its perfectly straight and then connect the column to the rack.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Am I completely wrong here? Not sure why you need pen, paper and all that. The shaft slides onto the end of the rack one way and only one way. That's the only way it can go in and the bolt can go in. Doesn't really matter if it's centered or not?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
its just so your toe isnt wildly in/out, still recommend an alignment after but you would be able to drive it without having the tires tear themselves to shreds/crash

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
its just so your toe isnt wildly in/out, still recommend an alignment after but you would be able to drive it without having the tires tear themselves to shreds/crash

Exactly. because 1/4 turn difference on putting the outer Tie Rod Ends back on will cause a Toe issue with the alignment. If not corrected it will accelerate tire wear!

sweir69

Reaction score
Am I completely wrong here? Not sure why you need pen, paper and all that. The shaft slides onto the end of the rack one way and only one way. That's the only way it can go in and the bolt can go in. Doesn't really matter if it's centered or not?
First off, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade. So I am used to repairing, disassembling, reassembling mechanical devices. Yes, the input shaft of the steering rack and steering shaft itself can only mate up one way...but lets say just for example, the rack was two full turns to the left but lined up in relation to the steering column, they WOULD mate up...but your steering rack and your steering wheel (and hence your front wheels ) would be in TOTAL disagreement with each other. So I originally just wondered how I could make sure that the rack was EXACTLY centered to begin with. The advice given to turn it fully one way, then to turn it fully the other way while counting the turns makes perfect sense to me. I don't have a new one in my hands yet, nor have I removed the leaking one from my car yet(as it's not leaking much as of yet)...I only just noticed it a few days ago. And since I've never actually held a dismounted one in my hands, I didn't know if it would be easily visible to the naked eye if the rack was (or was not) centered.

Last edited:

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score

So that you dont forget how many turns it took to remove the tie rod ends... and since the shaft goes in only one way, then ill give you that, but i was just detailing every possible hurdle.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
So that you dont forget how many turns it took to remove the tie rod ends... and since the shaft goes in only one way, then ill give you that, but i was just detailing every possible hurdle.

I was under the assumption that it would be a complete steering rack with tie rod ends already on it. I see now why you would want to check that, unless you are replacing the whole assembly.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I was under the assumption that it would be a complete steering rack with tie rod ends already on it. I see now why you would want to check that, unless you are replacing the whole assembly.

Just an FYI.....Even if it is a Long Rack as they call it. Always check to make sure it is centered before install.

Back