Anyone had success w/ non motorcraft steering racks on their 2011-14 V6?

chambersaviator

Reaction score
Hello!

My steering rack on my 2011 V6 is getting pretty rattly and I figure it’s time to replace it. Motorcraft DR3Z-3504-BE racks for 18” wheels seem to be out of stock across the internet and at any ford dealer I call. Has anybody used any of the BBB industries or other rebuild options with good success? I always like to get ford parts when I can, but it may be a while before they come back in stock.

Reaction score
Hello!

My steering rack on my 2011 V6 is getting pretty rattly and I figure it’s time to replace it. Motorcraft DR3Z-3504-BE racks for 18” wheels seem to be out of stock across the internet and at any ford dealer I call. Has anybody used any of the BBB industries or other rebuild options with good success? I always like to get ford parts when I can, but it may be a while before they come back in stock.
What do you mean by "rattly"? if your steering is loose it is probably your tie rod ends. Is your rack throwing codes or something?

chambersaviator

Reaction score
Tie rod ends were checked and drivers side replaced. Turned out there was a lot of play in the rack, so we replaced it. Less noise now, but there’s still a slight clunk when turning or hitting a bump, may be sway bar related.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Check your sway bar links. Notorious for loosening up and making clunks. Next are ball joints and strut bearings. Worth getting it up off the ground and manhandle the front wheels to check if they have any movement or not. Or, have an alignment shop check for you. Like you, had a bad tie rod and a bad ball joint. Changed out both LCA's with GT-500 units. Been good since.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Tie rod ends were checked and drivers side replaced. Turned out there was a lot of play in the rack, so we replaced it. Less noise now, but there’s still a slight clunk when turning or hitting a bump, may be sway bar related.
Remember these are all REMANUFACTURED. The are not new.

chambersaviator

Reaction score
I knew it was reman, but I went with the motorcraft stock rack DR3Z3504BE, finally came available on rock auto. I’m pretty happy with it so far, didn’t have to get it programmed or anything, plug and play.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back