Nitrous System Recommendation Please

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
My buddy recently purchased a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS and called me two nights ago about drag racing at a friend's runway (guy owns a crop duster business). Well, as we know the Camaro is packing 426 hp and I'm at about 285 rwhp. I need to even up the playing field and am thinking nitrous. I'd like to get some recommendations from folks in the know. Here are my parameters...

1. Run a system that minimizes risk to motor
2. 75 shot max
3. No permanent modification to interior of vehicle
4. No permanent modification to trunk is a plus
5. I am open to changing my CAI if necessary (have JLT2 now)
6. Does not require dyno tuning (email tune only)
7. Right now, cost is not a factor

I've got a 2007 Mustang GT, manual trans, 3.55 gears, delete plates, JLT2, 91 octane tune

If I need to provide more information, don't hesitate to point that out!

Thanks!!

usafimj

Reaction score
If you do a search there was a thread with around 20 pages just talking about nitrous. Might be more

Kankakee

I dunno.
Reaction score
I would say for that purpose run a Zex kit with the 100shot. This is because from what I hear the Zex 100shot is = to about a 75 shot from other kits such as the HSW kit.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
get you a zex kit with a bottle heater and purge. with a 75 shot, i would order a 93 octane tune for your setup right now. with only a 75 shot, you wont even need to take any timing out.

beat him, fall in love with the kit, buy you the rest of the zex accessories and some colder plugs, put in your 125 shot jets and get you a dyno tune for it and live happily ever after...lol

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i would do an hsw kit.you are gonna fall in love with the instant power.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into Zex, HSW and the nitrous thread on here. Keep the comments coming! :)

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
First hit the search button and as Usafimj said, there are numerous threads about this subject.

If costs and interior aesthetics are a concern get the compucar Nitrous in a bag kit. Super easy install, nothing going on inside... everything is powered from the cig lighter.

Lastly, if you want to do this properly get the HSW as 08gt4u said that is the best kit out there for our cars. Using a ZEX kit is the equivalent of using AOL to still get on the internet.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Just saw this:

ZEX Kit: http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21569

ZEX DRY NITROUS KIT, MODIFIED WITH THE PURGE INTAGRATED ON THE SYSTEM, IM CURRETLY GETTING THE BOTTLE POLISHED.
IT INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING. PRICE $400

THE BOX WITH THE SOLENOIDS INSIDE
1 NOZZLE
1 NITROUS PRESSURE GAUGE
1 SET OF BRACKETS
1 ZEX BOTTLE HEATER
1 zex blow down tube

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
i would order a 93 octane tune for your setup right now. with only a 75 shot, you wont even need to take any timing out.
I don't know about that statement there? according to zex your safe to run the 75 shot on the Stock tune only. I'd talk to a tuner about that.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
i would never trust a mail order tune for nitrous. thats just me though. im sure people have done it, or are doing it now but why risk it?

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I don't know about that statement there? according to zex your safe to run the 75 shot on the Stock tune only. I'd talk to a tuner about that.

i ran my 75 shot on a 93 octane tune. brenspeed told me that they had done the exact same thing for a while now and that was actually on stock plugs as well. I would never tell anybody to do this unless i had it backed up by a knowledgable tuner.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
When the wow factor of my v8 has faded I'm leading towards a ZEX kit (for ease of install (I'm really lazy)) and a nano 3000 universal kit.

chopstix

Nitrous Tech
Reaction score
just make sure the camaro ain't packin' a bottle also.....

A guy I know in Dallas just went high 10's with nothing more than headers, cat back, CAI, and nitrous.

For the OP's question, for ease of install and the least intrusion to the car, go with the ZEX kit. 3 wires to connect...that it.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
I like this picture from the HSW website...I could just remove that little trim plate inside the console to route the wires and it would be hidden and clean! I did some snooping around various forums today and see a lot of praise for HSW nitrous systems from folks on the GM side also. Hrmmm....

switch-plate-05mustang-centerconsole-02-large.jpg

spraydstang

Reaction score
harris speed works has the best kits for our cars zex isn't any safer then any other kit it has 2 solenoids in a box i wouldn't waste my money u can do a similar setup to mine cheap.

hsw 150 shot plate kit
standalone fuel cell
colder plugs
no tune care is bone stock except miner exhaust mods

i will have some pics up of the setup soon

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
harris speed works has the best kits for our cars zex isn't any safer then any other kit it has 2 solenoids in a box i wouldn't waste my money u can do a similar setup to mine cheap.

hsw 150 shot plate kit
standalone fuel cell
colder plugs
no tune care is bone stock except miner exhaust mods

i will have some pics up of the setup soon

How much did your setup run you Stand alone fuel systems are a little pricey aren't the? How easy was the Micro Edge to setup and install?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back