No exhaust threads any more.

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by eighty6gt, Aug 31, 2019.

1. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

2. ghunt81

ghunt81 New parts on old junk! S197 Team Member

Let's see I need a couple sheets of drywall...a few 2x4's...a pound of nails, oh and of course, a Borla axle back.

I have noticed more and more of these store websites are like Amazon now...if you can buy it online they list it on their website.

3. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

I've chosen the most difficult/interesting path. Stock Bullitt mufflers. Delete the resonators. Make my merge with 3" inlets and 2-1/2" outlets (headers have 3" collectors,) put a 3" 3 bolt flange on the side of the merge box, put an electric cutout on it, and make a constant cross section outlet that comes out in front of the right rear tire. When the cutout is fully open, the clutch switch for the wotbox will be enabled (relay.)

Quiet for sneaking out of the neighborhood on Sunday mornings, or ridiculous.

Example image chosen because I found it on a site for sale with the notes written on there, hehehehe

A7700127.jpg

4. dotskip

dotskip Junior Member

Borla S Type sound great and are quiet while cruising and off the throttle :)

5. 06 T-RED S/C GT

06 T-RED S/C GT forum member

Except when cruising between 60-70 MPH on the highway in 5th gear at 1800-2000 RPM, the S-Types have a terrible drone with the stock manifolds and stock catted mid-pipe. After nearly 2 years, I finally replaced the Borla S-Types with the Borla ATAK mufflers which made a noticeable improvement.

6. ghunt81

So I put on my MBRP's with my little bitty resonators. Sounds pretty good, not too bad inside the car, but from the driver's seat it sounds like there is some serious trumpeting at WOT. Funny thing is I punched it on a narrow bridge with jersey barriers on both sides and didn't hear it? So i dunno.

7. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

I'm really enjoying my stock mufflers again LOL.

I think the cutout idea I'm building is going to be pretty ape as well. No resonators, not a god damn thing. Open headers. I'll post a sketch around here when I get the design started.

8. ghunt81

I thought about reinstalling my stock mufflers to see how they were but don't really feel like wrestling them back on. I took them off 7 years ago and still remember what a bitch it was getting at those hanger bolts on the bottom of the frame.

I also thought about cutouts but a) they're technically illegal here and I'd hate to fail inspection for that, and b) knowing me I would never use them, unless I got electric cutouts but I don't want to pony up for the super expensive ones that won't leak.

9. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

10. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

11. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

12. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

The two step will make flames. You can open the cutout any amount you'd like. Get the "exhaust leak on a grain truck" effect all the way to "dodge slant 6 with zoomies in the staging lanes on friday night."