No more piston cooling jets

TheRookie65

Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread and comparing the photographs from the old and new pistons. It appears the new pistons have a dry film coating applied to them, and this makes them look darker than the old pistons. Dry film lubricant is usually a molybdenum disulfide coating which helps reduce scuffing of the piston skirt, as it lowers the coefficient of friction. Both pistons appear to be squeezed formed hypereutectic pistons. The differences in the ring lands is interesting. I used to work at Cummins engine and did a lot of work on piston coatings and mechanical properties of different piston manufacturing methods. Anyone from Ford online that can explain the reason for the additional land?

I would also be interested in seeing 30X magnification photographs of the damaged V8 blocks and pistons. I perform metallurgical failure analyses for a living and recently helped one vendor analyze problems with their aluminum driveshafts, resulting in an improved product, and more competition for 2011+ V6 mustangs.

Was this you? http://v6mustangperformance.com/news/shaftmasters-3-7l-mustang-driveshaft-issues-resolved/

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bumping this.

Sam have you found out anything about the late 12 pistons? Any pictures of one?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Bumping this.

Sam have you found out anything about the late 12 pistons? Any pictures of one?
'12 piston
v12engine.jpg

'13 piston being lowered in the hole
piston-in-the-emma-maersk-engine.jpg

:poke::la:

BHD

forum member
Reaction score
though its an old thread, but I spent my night reading and thank you guys for the great thread, specially Sam

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back