No more piston cooling jets

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A guy on another site says the 13 manual still say's to use 5w20.
Looks like some one may be pulling a fast one...

That's a picture of a race red boss. Why do you think the intake was blocked out of the picture?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
That's a picture of a race red boss. Why do you think the intake was blocked out of the picture?

That is not a boss engine in the picture.

Grey coil covers, boss has blue. If anything its someone using a GT500/Boss oil cap on a GT engine.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
My Ford system shows the same cap for 2011 and 2013 for the GT. Only the Boss shows a different cap.

I think someone has swapped caps around. The 2013 GT should still use 5w20.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That is not a boss engine in the picture.

Grey coil covers, boss has blue. If anything its someone using a GT500/Boss oil cap on a GT engine.

Boss302R.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'll take a Boss 302R... Although, yes that is a "Boss" with grey coil covers, it's not a production Boss as referenced.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'll take a Boss 302R... Although, yes that is a "Boss" with grey coil covers, it's not a production Boss as referenced.

Ah... The details. As I understand it the r motor is also used in the 302s. I'm wondering what the pic posted by ultra is of?

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This may be true but it's like the idiots that go and buy a Bama tune, a tune which wasn't designed for THEIR CAR, and expect the engine to hold it. WTF? Ford designed their engine to do what they designed it to do. They made a tune for it and it worked, beautifully within the design parameters. Getting your panties bundled because your "tuned" car took a grenade and you didn't have a knock sensor or a wideband and honestly had no idea what was going on in that engine. Bama (just using as an example, could be any mail order tune guys) could have sold you a totally faulty tune. Why blame Ford for the mistake? Hell you loaded the damn thing on to the ECU or had someone else do it.

WILECYOT, Bama does build their tunes from the ground up for every customer's individual PCM code, mod list and octane/tune-type requests. We get hundreds of logs each week from our customers, whether it be just to verify accuracy or maybe to tweak a shift schedule for the way they like it.

The factory 2011+ widebands are extremely accurate, and so we're even getting lambda readings from customers included in their datalogs. Not just Bama, but Lund, BBR, Brenspeed, Torq, any of the big name Mustang tuners will be able to dial in the car, and get real-world condition feedback from customers including knock, timing, air/fuel, etc.

We offer a warranty on our tunes, so we aren't putting the blame on Ford. If our customers want to blame Ford, they can. However, that doesn't change that we're backing our product in the event of a cylinder #8 failure that Ford deems is a byproduct of our calibration. There have only been a handful of cylinder #8 failures anyway (less than 10 confirmed) and have included pretty much all of the major tuners, whether they actually publicly surfaced or not.

This is an interesting thread and this forum does have some really bright minds and people with engineering backgrounds, so this is going to be the closest thing to an actual explanation from the source. I'd keep an open mind, and soak up what everyone is saying.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
WILECYOT, Bama does build their tunes from the ground up for every customer's individual PCM code, mod list and octane/tune-type requests. We get hundreds of logs each week from our customers, whether it be just to verify accuracy or maybe to tweak a shift schedule for the way they like it.

The factory 2011+ widebands are extremely accurate, and so we're even getting lambda readings from customers included in their datalogs. Not just Bama, but Lund, BBR, Brenspeed, Torq, any of the big name Mustang tuners will be able to dial in the car, and get real-world condition feedback from customers including knock, timing, air/fuel, etc.

We offer a warranty on our tunes, so we aren't putting the blame on Ford. If our customers want to blame Ford, they can. However, that doesn't change that we're backing our product in the event of a cylinder #8 failure that Ford deems is a byproduct of our calibration. There have only been a handful of cylinder #8 failures anyway (less than 10 confirmed) and have included pretty much all of the major tuners, whether they actually publicly surfaced or not.

This is an interesting thread and this forum does have some really bright minds and people with engineering backgrounds, so this is going to be the closest thing to an actual explanation from the source. I'd keep an open mind, and soak up what everyone is saying.

He to hijack the thread but since its impossible to get ahold of you. If this is chris rose's account. i been talking to the other chris you have me locked out of my x cal for gear changes and tire revs. i am having gears put in this week. I need you to either unlock it or email me my tune with 4.10 gearing.

sorry everybody again for the hi jack pms didnt work.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
He to hijack the thread but since its impossible to get ahold of you. If this is chris rose's account. i been talking to the other chris you have me locked out of my x cal for gear changes and tire revs. i am having gears put in this week. I need you to either unlock it or email me my tune with 4.10 gearing.

sorry everybody again for the hi jack pms didnt work.

Did you try getting ahold of them by calling them or emailing Bama directly? Also, did you try ordering a updated tune through the site?
Chris is usually real easy to get ahold of.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
Did you try getting ahold of them by calling them or emailing Bama directly? Also, did you try ordering a updated tune through the site?
Chris is usually real easy to get ahold of.

iT was a dyno tune and he has me locked out of the gear rations and the options for running taller tires.

Rich_S

Reaction score
Some more information. Go to this link and search for pistons:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#Search

The old piston:

Engine Piston
MOD 5.0L-4V Dual Over Head Cam SEFI NA ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$36.16 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date before: 12/7/2011

The new piston:

Engine Piston
MOD 5.0L-4V Dual Over Head Cam SEFI NA ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$36.72 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date after: 12/8/2011
But wait, there's more. The Boss got a piston revision for late 2012s (and presumably 2013 as well):

Engine Piston
5.0L V8 32V Dual Over Head Cam EFI Modular ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$83.66 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date before: 12/11/2011
Engine Piston
5.0L V8 32V Dual Over Head Cam EFI Modular ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
Call Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date after: 12/12/2011
I hope to fucking god it's just the old forged Boss piston plus this new coating and that Ford didn't cheap out and try to get away with a coated hypereutectic on the new Bosses.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Some more information. Go to this link and search for pistons:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#Search

But wait, there's more. The Boss got a piston revision for late 2012s (and presumably 2013 as well):

I hope to fucking god it's just the old forged Boss piston plus this new coating and that Ford didn't cheap out and try to get away with a coated hypereutectic on the new Bosses.
The Boss pistons are unchanged. They're still Forged Mahles. There are two part numbers, but one is .001 bigger or something like that for rebuilds.

FYI, Fordparts.com sucks balls. It lets people order obsolete parts, incorrect part numbers, and commonly has incorrect pricing. Whatever info you get off that site, take with a grain of salt.

frankr

Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread and comparing the photographs from the old and new pistons. It appears the new pistons have a dry film coating applied to them, and this makes them look darker than the old pistons. Dry film lubricant is usually a molybdenum disulfide coating which helps reduce scuffing of the piston skirt, as it lowers the coefficient of friction. Both pistons appear to be squeezed formed hypereutectic pistons. The differences in the ring lands is interesting. I used to work at Cummins engine and did a lot of work on piston coatings and mechanical properties of different piston manufacturing methods. Anyone from Ford online that can explain the reason for the additional land?

I would also be interested in seeing 30X magnification photographs of the damaged V8 blocks and pistons. I perform metallurgical failure analyses for a living and recently helped one vendor analyze problems with their aluminum driveshafts, resulting in an improved product, and more competition for 2011+ V6 mustangs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back