Noise after suspension changes?

webb06gt

Reaction score
I installed the BMR lowering kit this weekend (springs, LCA relocation, panhard) and now have a knocking/chattering noise when I go over bumps at low speed. Anyone have any clue as to what causes this or had similar issues? Everything is tight and nothing is broken. I am not really looking for a fix just the cause. I thought it could be due to the different type of bushings in the panhard.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I installed the BMR lowering kit this weekend (springs, LCA relocation, panhard) and now have a knocking/chattering noise when I go over bumps at low speed. Anyone have any clue as to what causes this or had similar issues? Everything is tight and nothing is broken. I am not really looking for a fix just the cause. I thought it could be due to the different type of bushings in the panhard.

The bushing difference in the panhard will NOT give you clunks or chatters. There are a three things that come to mind right offhand. First, with the car sitting level, either on the ground or on stands, loosen and then re-torque your LCA and UCA mount bolts. Add locktite while you're at it. Once you drop the car, you will put all those parts in tension unless you re-torque. Second, go to your local dealer and buy and install four new front swaybar link nuts. They cost around $4.00 each, and are DEFINATELY one-time-use parts. Third, if you didn't replace the strut bearing plates when you installed the front springs, pull the struts and install new stockers, or better yet, order up some camber/caster adjustment plates instead. The strut bearing plates do not take well to being reused. Those are the three classic "oops" issues that pop up after doing a suspension kit on our cars. If you still have issues after doing the above, then try and narrow it down to front or rear, left or right, and come on back in with more data.

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Steven...we put new strut bearing plates on right? I'm betting its the fact that the upper isolator rubbers got left of the front springs! Replacing the sway bar links nuts might not be a bad idea..I only disconnected the TOP nuts on the sway bar links so you will only need to replace two..not all four! Let me know what you find out..call me if you have any questions or I can help! (Got the stuff from Whipple to hopefully solve my belt issues..once I'm sure it works I'll be installing the 8 rib kit I got from GI Joe and then putting in the new dual disc ram clutch..gonna be a busy weekend next week!)

travelers

Reaction score
I hope you did lube the bushing before you installed them. They can chatter because they don't want to give and when they are forced to then chattern then. Just an Idea

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a clunk in the passenger rear a few weeks after installing my suspension. The LCA had come a bit loose. Re-torqued it to 129 ft lbs and has been fine for a year.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back