NOT Another...Yes...another auotx build thread

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Update for 10/22/13- more autocross.

So, since the last update, I've done two more events, both pretty different, with promising results, both for me as a driver and for the car. I'm feeling pretty good about the Mustang right now. Read on if you're interested.

Texas SCCA AutoX #8, Texas Motor Speedway infield road course

I was in Dallas the weekend of the 12th and 13th anyway for the Red River Rivalry game (Hook em Horns? is that right?) so I decided to sign up for the autox the day after. After dropping some tires off to make room for humans in my car, I headed off to the hotel, upon seeing my Suzuka GT the valet said "fuck no," and 36 hours of varying states of sobriety and football were to ensue.

Interlude:

SO anyway, OU got creamed. I suppose I don't really have any allegiance in this rivalry, so the upset was cool to see. Also, this game is surrounded by the Texas State Fair, which, I heard, had C7's you could drive. None of my party was too interested in finding them and standing in line though...guess I need new friends, lol. Saw new Chevy truck things, and they all look like shit. I hate the square wheel-well thing. I also discovered fried butter and fried buffalo chicken in a pancake on a stick with syrup on top. Yum.

Anyway, the autox.
So this was a really cool event. Neat venue, tons of fun, I only wish we could have more runs...it was pretty popular, with 170+ entrants. This event is held on the TMS infield road course, with lots of cones put out on the track to make it more interesting. I, for one, think more tracks should do this. I think it's more fun that just driving the track, but I have an irrational love of autocross.

There I was, all ready to give the 315 Kumhos a go on the big(ger) track...and the sky started to leak. On just my heat. Bear in mind, I have never been on a track with R-Comp tires, even of the super-dead variety that my current Kumhos are. It was wet/damp in places, and I needed to drive home 3 hours that day so I could go to work the next day. Needless to say, I was apprehensive. I took the first two runs incredibly easy, trying to figure out what the tires would feel like when they started to lose traction. I found them to be surprisingly progressive and easy to feel (thanks Cobra!!! <--that's me praising having a proper seat) so I decided to try harder on the third run, which is linked here:

...and I proceeded to drop 3-ish seconds on the 50-ish second course. So that was cool. Run 4 came up, looking to be the driest run yet, and literally 10 seconds before I was to start, it started raining the hardest it rained all day. I still almost matched my run 3 time however, even with some drifting action in the last sweeper. [bench racing] I think I probably could have managed times in the 47 or 48 second range if I had gotten to run in the dry [/bench racing].

Anyway, my 50.something time was best in ESP by a lot (no Madarash...) so I got another little cone. I was raw-timed by a street-tire F-Stock 5.0 that got to run in a dry session, and Terry beat me by about 4 seconds. I was more or less able to hang with the pointy end of STX (also ran in my wet session) so I consider this event a moral victory (which is not really a victory at all) if nothing else.

OK SCCA AutoX #9, Remington Park, OKC

The very next weekend was the penultimate local OKC autox weekend. The weather forecast was good, I had an idea of what shock and tire settings I needed to be at, and I was feeling pretty good. When I showed up that morning, my spirits took a hit. Our Miata-driving course designer had set up some sort of god-awful tight, slalom-y MESS. You'll see what I mean when you watch the video. More on that later.

1391581_10200995013979000_2051943087_n.jpg

I started this day with the same shock settings I left off last event, 8 front, 8 rear. As the day went, I realized that you don't need a ton of rebound in the rear with the tires and springs the way I have them, and I needed more rebound in the front to combat a power-on push. The reason this all surprises me is because, with street tires, the shock setting balance was flipped 180 degrees. I needed more rebound in the rear, less in the front, to get the car to rotate. Running this light front and heavy rear rebound setup with the R-comps just makes the car super loose at any turn in, even on slaloms, and an understeer machine leaving any corner. So I'm still wrapping my head around this, but it seems that the new starting points are 75% hard front, 50% hard rear. By my 6th run I had it sorted out (mostly, you can still see and hear a push in the off-camber, power-on sweeper, and in the turnaround near the end that I would judiciously describe as "hairpin") and turned in a 47.911 second lap, which was good for the 5th fastest raw time. Raw results here: http://okscca.blogspot.com/2013/10/2013-event-9-raw-results.html The only cars that raw timed me were a CSP Miata (who set FTD, the course was perfect for that car) a Formula Vee, good old Sam Graff with his unfair-wheel drive WRX, and a beautiful 84 911 driven by an alien.

1375007_10200994994778520_864352732_n.jpg

988740_10200994996178555_1441026974_n.jpg

It belongs in STR...OK SCCA is not too great with classing.

You'll notice, this is first update where I'm not raw-timed by any other Mustang or Camaro, so I consider this to be a nice victory. Actually, the closest Camaro 1LE was almost 2 seconds away. In the end, I was happy with the course, as it kind of caught out the Camaros and their drivers. If you go through the "final" results page, you'll notice that I had 7/8 clean runs, with one spectacular, 360 through the lights, DNF. (technically was just a +5 cone run, as I went back through the hole I made, but, whatever.) Camaros hit A LOT of cones that day...heh.

1375315_10200995019379135_1735347222_n.jpg

Camaros need camber plates...

1378006_10200995093380985_231043304_n.jpg

Beautifully restored 2nd gen that autocrosses all this time...love this car
1374067_10200995070140404_363980825_n.jpg

Rest of the season:
-Final OK SCCA AutoX
-Final Texas SCCA AutoX
-Eagle's Canyon Raceway toy run charity track day

That may do it for 2013, depending on whether I do the odd BMWCCA autox here or there, and then, it's decision time.

Decision time?! I'm getting to the point of cost/benefit ratio for mods done to my car being too high to stomach. I'm now to the point of weight reduction, aero, Watt's link, AC/radio delete, and other things that will make this car very difficult to sell. I'm mostly sure I'm done modding it. So, it's one of those deals where my car is not for sale, but, everything has a price. I plan to hold on to this car as long as I'm able, unless someone shows up with a briefcase full of $28k sometime.

What's next?

I'll bring you all back to this picture:
20130613_115943-X2-M.jpg

STU? But...not in my Mustang. I'm *probing* the market for a 99 or 00 C5 coupe. I've done some tinkering around with gearing calculators, and have found that with a 285/30/18 tire, a manual C5 will do 80-ish in second. That seems pretty ideal to me, I have NO F**&#NG IDEA why the SEB thinks this car is "not geared well." Last I checked, they do ok in AS, and when I say "do ok" I mean, 7 of the last 11 AS National Champs were in vettes. I figure that, with coilovers (or even just shocks), wheels, tires, and a seat, the vette will be a great STU car. It's light, great chassis, short wheelbase, LS1 so 400hp is EASY, etc etc etc. Or, with the addition of the street class, it would probably be lots of fun in A Street.

Other options: 2016 GT350, C6 Z06, C7(?) ....actually that's the list. Early GTR's are coming down in price too....anything from this sentence will not be for a couple years however.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Kind of an addendum...the Cobra seat has been a huge hit. I had probably 20 people sit in my car Sunday and they all loved the seat.

Kinda makes your wonder why OEM's can't put a half decent seat into anything that's not an frs, evo, or sti.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
STI seats suck, just saying lol. After seeing what I could sell my recaros for, I've been super tempted to upgrade my seats lol

How are they for daily driving?

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
STI seats suck, just saying lol. After seeing what I could sell my recaros for, I've been super tempted to upgrade my seats lol

I didn't even have my Recaros sold and I did this upgrade. The day I post them up for sale I got an "I'll take them" right away for 2k + shipping.

What I am saying is do it.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

I guess I could tolerate it. As I've said before, I may choose an Imola over a Suzuka for daily driving.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Because sidewall height (and hence tire outer diameter) depends on the tire section width times the profile ratio.

In 285 width, the 285/40 is the OE height of about 27" (and was the OE rear tire size used on the 2008 GT500's).

Those 285/30's are pretty short at around 25" tall.

285/35's are right in the middle at around 26" tall. That's short enough that almost everybody would probably notice something being a little "off" right away, but wouldn't be as extreme as those 285/30 race tires.

At autocross or at a road course track day, appearance is of very little to no concern at all if you're even semi-serious, although the number of revs/mile might matter enough to force a choice. Most people would rank appearance considerations higher for a dual-purpose car that they aren't swapping a dedicated set of tires on just for auto-X or track days.

Norm

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Update for 10/22/13- more autocross.

STU? But...not in my Mustang. I'm *probing* the market for a 99 or 00 C5 coupe. I've done some tinkering around with gearing calculators, and have found that with a 285/30/18 tire, a manual C5 will do 80-ish in second. That seems pretty ideal to me, I have NO F**&#NG IDEA why the SEB thinks this car is "not geared well." Last I checked, they do ok in AS, and when I say "do ok" I mean, 7 of the last 11 AS National Champs were in vettes. I figure that, with coilovers (or even just shocks), wheels, tires, and a seat, the vette will be a great STU car. It's light, great chassis, short wheelbase, LS1 so 400hp is EASY, etc etc etc. Or, with the addition of the street class, it would probably be lots of fun in A Street.

Other options: 2016 GT350, C6 Z06, C7(?) ....actually that's the list. Early GTR's are coming down in price too....anything from this sentence will not be for a couple years however.

I don’t know Auto cross classifications but a better purchase would be a 2004 C6 – Many Very nice low millage cars – can be found for less than $20,000.00 and with a little work will be quick.
I ended up purchasing my 2008 V6 mustang for $ 5,000.00 because I thought the C5 / Z06 would be too fast to be used for a beginning training tool to eventually run in TT events. I built our mustang to be a solid starting TTC car. Never got to the point of upping the HP to match the class – Would have been fast enough to have fun in a competitive class but not to fast to get into too much trouble for the driver.
With the new body stile Corvette coming out, the C5 Vets will drop in value even more – Just about the best bang for the buck out there -

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Z06 is not classed in any ST category at this time. Base C5s are.

I would like to add that I like corvettes....they make the best parts cars.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Last AutoX of the year

Alright so I've done the last autox for 2013.

Texas SCCA Event #9

I decided to run in STU on RS3's...mostly because I'm lazy, and because STU would be a field of 7 with good competition rather than the field of 2 in ESP.

So I'll keep this short and make one point- gotta have 3.31 gears.

As you'll see in the video, there was one section where I was on the limiter in 2nd for a while, and another section where I had to shift to third and back. So...that slowed me down. A lot. I am pretty confident with bench racing a win for me, had I the 3.31's. Anyway, I've got a set ordered, and they're going in December 6th!!!

Interesting read about shifting in autox:
http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_upshift.php

So- I placed third out of seven in STU. The guy that got first was gone...over half a second. I took second on my last run (best run, all personal best sectors) so that was cool. The guy in the E46 M3 took second back by a tenth or so with his last...damn.

Video:

Results:
http://texasscca.org/2013_solo_results/tr13_9_final.htm

Anyway...fun season. I look forward to STU(?) next year...maybe ESP?? Who knows...I sure don't.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Fun with catch cans/track day in DECEMBER..brrr...

So it's been a while since I've posted...and it's been a while since I've done anything.

I decided to work on catch cans- here's a brief history of my axle vent "solutions"-

My catch can history-

1- No fix, factory setup. Fluid everywhere. This sucked.

2- Did the Ford sex toy/turkey baster TSB. Fluid everywhere, this sucked.

3- Tried a $10 fix. Fitted a booze flask with an NPT barb and some oil resistant line, pushed the other end of the line on Ford's axle-barb fitting. This worked ok for a while, eventually the thin walls of the flask started to leak by the fitting I put in there. Note- the picture was a test fit. Yes, I did eventually tape it.

4- The "real" fix. I bought a catch can at Smiley's and put it in the trunk. The AN fittings are probably overkill, but I REALLY don't want to be smelling gear oil inside the car. Shit smells BAD. Drilled and tapped the axle for an NPT hose barb. The barb fitting that Ford uses is some weird straight-thread fitting. The threads are filled with some nylon or something, and it's a one-use thing. Once you remove it, it never fits tight again. Also- the barb on Ford's fitting fits neither a -6 or a -4 hose...so...yeah. I ran a long line from the top of the catch can back under the car and zip-tied it to the swaybar. I figure, if I fill that can and overflow to that point, I'm having worse trouble than putting oil on the track. This setup got its first test at a track on Staurday and performed flawlessly! Thanks to Olof@Vorshlag for helping me out getting this completely finished.

You can see the 90 degree brass fitting on the axle, just barely.

I also bought the Bob's autosport catch can and fitted it with some nice looking Russel fittings and line. In retrospect, I should have gotten a little straight fitting for the head-side hose, as the swivel fitting is too long for the hose to go directly to the right angle fitting in the valve cover...

And the track day- I did the Eagle's Canyon Raceway Toy Run this last Saturday. It was too cold for pictures or video. It was a good time though. The morning sessions were lead-follow for all of the non-red groups as the track was so cold/wet...and I was slipping around even while plodding along behind some Miatas. I did take a ride-along with an instructor in an E92 M3, and the phrase I'm going to choose is "four wheel drift." This M3 had the dual clutch box which was....pretty cool I have to say. I can see how not having to think about shifting would make you a lot faster.

By the afternoon, the sun had come out, and I moved to a more advanced group where there were no leader cars and passing was allowed. This was my first time pushing the car on a big track since I've had:

-Cobra seat
-6-point harness
-R-S3's
-Lightweight wheels
-Correctly adjusted swaybars
-A non-leaking axle vent
-Completed brake ducting
-Motul 600 fluid
-A real corner balance
-Correct rear control arm angles

...wow I didn't realize that list was so long until I just typed it. Anyway, the car felt REALLY GOOD!!! SOO much more controllable and neutral, much easier to feel what the ends of the cars were doing (seat...) and I could pound the brakes hard the whole session and they felt firm and grabby the whole time. I linked up with a group of two 350z's and an E92 M3, all on good tires, aftermarket suspension, real brakes, etc...with fairly experienced drivers, and the four of us ran nose-to-tail for a couple laps. Lots of fun. I pointed the car behind me by and looked at a couple different lines through a couple corners for the rest of the session. (for those that know ECR, turn 7/8 complex and turn 10) VERY productive day, rescued from what, early on, seemed like it was going to be a snoozer. Bonus- I won a set of XPEL headlight films. hooray.

Now, I think I'm actually really done for the year.

Now- new dilemma, and new choices-

Choice 1- be done modding the 2012, buy an ORANGE 2015 in early 2015, mod it lightly and go run F Street with it and use the 12 as a track car in more or less its current form.

Choice 2- Go nuts with the 12. Aero, flares to accommodate huge wheels and bigger tires, turbo (?), built shortblock, T56, yank some interior stuff, go play in street mod and lose to some Evos, do track events as well, and make the car not-very-streetable, but still a "street car." (this is the frontrunner idea, and probably a 2-3 year project)

Choice 3- Sell the Mustang and buy a C7 or C6 Z06 in a year or so.

Last edited:

Justin_H

Blingy Convertible Driver
Reaction score
Choice 1 makes the most sense, but you might want to see what the 2015 Z07 Corvette is like before ruling out choice 3.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back