O2 Issue

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
The other night I had a slight mishap happen with my one of my heater lines, started driving, did a pretty decent pull and turned out on the highway and noticed smoke pouring out from the back end(I was screaming shit faster than what I thought I could), however I thought I popped the motor, got out the of the car and smoke pouring out from everywhere then realized it was steam from coolant. So I hightailed it back to work and found one of my coolant lines popped off, no problem I said, popped it back on, then filled all of my coolant and went on my way. Now I am having some issues with the bank 2 front O2 sensor, it will pop codes for high voltage and running rich, the car will run like shit specifically at cruising speeds, idle and WOT it doesn't seem to bother me. I did notice on the scan tool the voltage for the O2 crossing over the 1.0 Volt mark, however I am curious if this is all happening because those wires for the O2's are just covered in coolant. Plausible solution?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's signal voltage and heater voltage. Signal voltage will range between 0-5 volts when the car is running (idling). Heater voltage should be at 12v, although that'll give you heater codes if there's an issue there.
Wires covered in coolant or water should not matter.
That's driver-side front, so you might just visually check the connector into the harness and maybe unplug and replug it back in (make sure the ends of the connector are dry).
And although it shouldn't matter, it's possible the sudden dousing damaged the sensor.

With an improper O2 signal, it will run like crap.

Last edited:

jays86lx

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on my 98. I had a radiator hose break and I got coolant everywhere and the end result was my engine light would not stop coming on. What I did was buy some electrical cleaner spray and just go through and unplug the connections make sure they were dry spray a little of the cleaner on them which also helps take moisture away and plug them back in. I just spent a day drying and cleaning then reset the codes and problem was fixed. Once electrical items get a little wet you never know what could happen.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back