Oil catch can Question for Paxton SC. Suggestions?

Skips

Reaction score
First off let me say I have read many threads on this and used the search. So many different applications and different ideas . For my SC application, my general consensus was you need to mount it on the driver side and you need a one-way check valve if you have a supercharged application. My question is, Can I get a normal style catch can like this one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.uprproducts.com/amp/05-10-ford-mustang-gt-billet-oil-catch-can/ from UPR and install one-way check valve myself? I see you UPR sells them. Which line does the check valve go in, the one to the intake? Thanks folks!

Skips

Reaction score
Paxton Novi 2200SL with air to air intercooler.

07 Boss

Reaction score
IMO I would just run breathers and delete the pvc system. But yes, if you want to run a catch can you need to run it on the driver's side as that is the only outlet for crankcase gases to flow.

If I may be so bold as to suggest one of those oil cap breathers with a check valve. This way when you are under boost there is somewhere for the positive crankcase pressure to be relieved.

Laga

Reaction score
I also deleted the PCV valve and run catch cans with breathers on both sides. Catch cans do not catch all the oil fumes. The PCV valve is inside drivers side valve cover and needs to be cut out. You then plug hoses going into throttle body. This eliminates 100% of oil fumes going into engine and keeps engine compartment cleaner than just breathers.

Skips

Reaction score
IMO I would just run breathers and delete the pvc system. But yes, if you want to run a catch can you need to run it on the driver's side as that is the only outlet for crankcase gases to flow.

If I may be so bold as to suggest one of those oil cap breathers with a check valve. This way when you are under boost there is somewhere for the positive crankcase pressure to be relieved.
I did order the CFM oil cap breather with the check valve, it's just not here yet. I am also going to install catch can with the check valve. Does the the oil line with the check valve go to the intake?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have used two different catch cans with the stock PCV valve an not been happy with either one. They both captured oil and still allowed mist to pass through and lubricate my air intake. I am eliminating the stock PCV valve and venting both valve covers to a common, vented catch can. No more ingested oil.:driver:

Last edited:

Stoenr

forum member
Reaction score
I had and still have my JLT catch can. Brenspeed installed my Paxton and said its just fine. So far no issues. Just about filled up at oil change time before and after the SC.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I did order the CFM oil cap breather with the check valve, it's just not here yet. I am also going to install catch can with the check valve. Does the the oil line with the check valve go to the intake?

Why do you need a check valve in place of your pcv valve? They are one and the same. Here is the issue that I see with centri and turbos with the stock pcv system. Once you pressurize the manifold there is no more vacuum to draw out crankcase gases. So any pressure has to be released or you blow seals. You have gotten the oil cap breather coming which is helpful but some of these crankcase gases may flow out from the passenger cover into the intake pre blower or turbo. Basically the flow reverses. So, if you want to run a catch can with the stock system intact and a centri, I would run a separate catch can on both sides with no check valves. But I think Breathers are the way to go. Plus they look nicer. Here is a pic showing all 3 breathers, it's a much cleaner look.

Skips

Reaction score
Thanks. After some more thought I am going to do a vented breather tank. Any oil will have a place to collect and both sides will be vented.
Why do you need a check valve in place of your pcv valve? They are one and the same. Here is the issue that I see with centri and turbos with the stock pcv system. Once you pressurize the manifold there is no more vacuum to draw out crankcase gases. So any pressure has to be released or you blow seals. You have gotten the oil cap breather coming which is helpful but some of these crankcase gases may flow out from the passenger cover into the intake pre blower or turbo. Basically the flow reverses. So, if you want to run a catch can with the stock system intact and a centri, I would run a separate catch can on both sides with no check valves. But I think Breathers are the way to go. Plus they look nicer. Here is a pic showing all 3 breathers, it's a much cleaner look.

FrancoGT

Reaction score
Perfect timing on this question and the responses. I also have a new Paxton set up on my 07. I noticed my JLT catch cans are trapping more oil. Breathers now seem like the better answer. Also, cleans up the bay.
Now I need to research breathers and install. My winter projects just expanded.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I noticed my JLT catch cans are trapping more oil.
I replaced my JLT with UPR separator and the oil carryover was reduced but not eliminated. I don’t want oil in my intercooler, on my valves or on the piston domes. There is a large assortment of fittings and adapters in the Summit catalog that can be used to create a breather system. The biggest problem is finding a place to put it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back