Oil Consumption? Anyone else burning a TON of oil?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
A lot of these are burning oil, including Ford's test car(Verified by the engineering dept). Don't also jump on the #8 bandwagon as everyone else usually does. My cylinder 8 is perfect. I was running an AED tune, the car went totally back to stock and no improvement on oil consumption. As I stated previously my tune has no effect on the oil usage.
If you killed #8 switching back to stock tune would not fix your oil consumption either.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
The valves design itself is faulty, I have checked several different of the 5.0's including a brand new valve and they are all identical.
But have you replaced it? Seems logical to me if yours is allowing that much blow by and mine is not yours has gone bad prematurely.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A PCV will not allow all that oil into your intake unless you already have excessive blow-by caused by bad piston rings. The oil has to get into the crankcase in order to be passed into the intake tract via the PCV (assuming this is not a boosted motor we're talking about).

What I've been trying to tell you is that there might be something wrong internally with your engine. If it's still under warranty, you might want to try getting it replaced.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Something else has to be going on to cause that excess blowby....I have modified my PCV system completely removing the valve that is built into the 3v driver's side valve cover and have both sides plumbed into a breather catch can. With this set-up and no restriction/valve I barely get any oil in my catch can what-so-ever. I crack the valve to see if anything will drain maybe once a month and I have yet to get anything out. I pulled the breather off the top and looked in and there's just a very light oil coating on the walls of the can.

EDIT: One possibility is that the rings haven't seated correctly yet. After I had my engine built and up until I put the supercharger on I was getting a pretty good amount of blowby and oil accumulation. Once I put the blower on my oil blow-by has gone to nearly zero. Before the blower I would use close to 1/2 quart every 1000 miles.

Last edited:

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I hit wot and brought it to 6k rpm and then idle into the driveway and shut it down

A cloud of white smoke followed

I pulled out all the plugs

All the ends looked perfect (yes I know how to read plugs)

The ONLY thing i found was the #8 had oil on te threads and no other plug did

I know either #8 is scarred up or the rings aren't sealing

I'm bone stock now and at 4350 miles

I'm bringing it to ford next week

If they determin it was my fault then I am going to rip it apart and replace te rods an pistons with forged

.030 over and since I have it apart I will probably do a mild port job on the heads

I plan on keeping the same compression and running the rebuild on the stock tune if everything checks out unroll the rings seat and then I will be doing hellion turbo

If ford fixes it imbgoing strait to the turbo lol

stang281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I hit wot and brought it to 6k rpm and then idle into the driveway and shut it down

A cloud of white smoke followed

I pulled out all the plugs

All the ends looked perfect (yes I know how to read plugs)

The ONLY thing i found was the #8 had oil on te threads and no other plug did

I know either #8 is scarred up or the rings aren't sealing

I'm bone stock now and at 4350 miles

I'm bringing it to ford next week

If they determin it was my fault then I am going to rip it apart and replace te rods an pistons with forged

.030 over and since I have it apart I will probably do a mild port job on the heads

I plan on keeping the same compression and running the rebuild on the stock tune if everything checks out unroll the rings seat and then I will be doing hellion turbo

If ford fixes it imbgoing strait to the turbo lol

oil on the threads it's normal but if you have oil on the electrode this is a problem.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
White smoke is associated with water burning. Blue smoke with oil. Black smoke with the car running rich. Oil was on the threads of all 8 of my plugs with less than 1500 miles.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
White smoke is associated with water burning. Blue smoke with oil. Black smoke with the car running rich. Oil was on the threads of all 8 of my plugs with less than 1500 miles.

This is true, but it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between white and blue smoke, depending on the ambient lighting conditions.

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
My smoke is oil I can tell it has a tint to it grayish blue and smells exactly what oil smells like

And since im losing oil and not water that pretty much tells me the answer

Also removing the oil cap I can SEE THE BLOWBY

And no there was no oil on the electrode, BUT I ran it up to 6k WOT right before I shut it off so it probably burned it off

If its NOT #8 then its not my fault lol

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Im seriously debating starting a build thread and skipping ford and ordering rods pistons gaskets and bearings

I already have a good machine shop and a place to build it I lol

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My smoke is oil I can tell it has a tint to it grayish blue and smells exactly what oil smells like

And since im losing oil and not water that pretty much tells me the answer

Also removing the oil cap I can SEE THE BLOWBY

And no there was no oil on the electrode, BUT I ran it up to 6k WOT right before I shut it off so it probably burned it off

If its NOT #8 then its not my fault lol

Were you running a tune? From whom?

Reaction score
Were you running a tune? From whom?

My car didn't burn oil the first 2500 miles

I put jlt intake
Lund 93 octane tune
offroad H and axelebacks
I have 3900 miles now and last night I smelled oil
got a friend to drive behind me and its smoking
Stopped pulled the oil cap off at idle and it was puffing

Bad blowby

Sooooo im gonna figure this thing out

lund

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back