Oil filter adapter leak

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed I have a small oil leak coming from the factory oil filter adapter. I have read I need to drain the oil and coolant to replace the gasket. Have any of you guys had any issues swapping the gasket? There doesn't seem to be much info on the internet about replacing the gasket on 3V engines. Most of the stuff refers to older 4V or 2V 4.6L engines.

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I have remove and re-installed that piece a few times now when I have R&R's engines in my car...piece of cake and it is actually the same piece as on the 2V engine since my current iron block had it's original one and it matched the one I took off my last aluminum 3V block. Very easy to do (but I have only done it with the engine out of the car) but can't see it being difficult in the car either.

Just clean off both the surfaces (block and adapter) well and you can even put a small amount of black RTV on both sides of the gasket if you want.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Nothing difficult about it. Like you said, drain the oil and coolant and replace the gasket.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also threw some black rtv on there with the gasket when I reinstalled mine. Held the gasket in place while I put the adaptor on and helped seal it up good.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I used the factory Ford gasket on mine when I built my motor. You can catch your oil and coolant in clean containers and reuse them. I use a paint strainer for fluids when reusing them.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
The oil I will as I just changed it with Mobil 1 but the coolant is old and needs changing anyway. I picked up two gallons of distilled water and two gallons of G-05 Zerex for this weekend.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You shouldn't lose much oil as most will be in the pan anyway. Less than a quart as you can save most of the oil in the filter.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Damn you Bruce for being the voice of reason!! No honestly I haven't. It needs the coolant changed anyway as it has 111,000 miles on it and as far as I know never been changed.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Well finished this little project. Boy was it fun. Damn hoses after 111k were practically welded on there. The gasket was totally failing around the water outlet side and the coolant was suprisingly clean though. I used 1 gallon of distilled water and 1 1/4 of G-05 to refill. Total capacity is 3.6 gallons and since I didn't touch the heater core or what was in the block I figure that was about right. I burped it according to a guide I found online so it seems good. I will keep an eye on it for a few days. Also tightened up and loctited the sway bar end link as they were clunking last night. One worked loose.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back