on the road having trouble need suggestions

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm on the way back from Kentucky having picked up my new JDM Shortblock.
About an hour into the return trip I made a 1hr stop for lunch.
Upon starting the car back up I immediately got a P0174 (System Too Lean Bank 2).
I have never seen this code before and I just finished driving 1000 miles with no issues.
I reset the code and hit the road. about an hour later I noticed some hesitation on light acceleration and what seemed like a misfire when lifting off the pedal. The CEL then came on again.
I pulled over at the next exit and put more gas since I only had 1/4 tank left.
I reset the code and got back on the road.
It drove fine for about 10 minutes then the same symptoms reoccurred.
Since this car has gone through a bunch of alternators in the past I took a chance and swapped the alternator that I brought along as a backup.

Same thing 10 minutes then the car feels like its missing again.

To make a long story short I drove it all the way back to Summit Racing near Akron. The fuel economy went from 19.5 mpg cruising at 80mph down to 15 MPG.

When looking at the exhaust it looks pig rich.
Since we were already at Summit Racing I grabbed 2 front O2 Sensors since I suspect that the car has a bad one.

Is there anything else that I may have missed?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds like driver's side O2 sensor or a big header leak. Computer is dumping lots of fuel trying to compensate for the lean. Of course you know this already.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say (exhaust leak upsteam of the o2 sensor). Just fixed my Dad's header gasket, which was causing a o2 stuck lean, yet running rich (from computer over-compensating). Good news is that you just may have to tighten the bolts/nuts but if it still isn't right, you need to replace it.

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
I had that same code and it was my alternator. My car felt like it was missing also, I had all the same stuff going on as you. I couldn't believe that's what it was.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How old is the battery?

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I was nuts dropping off a 6060 trans in ten with the Stang how did you get a shortblock in there

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Update and added info

OK first things first.
It was the drivers side O2 sensor.

I forgot to mention that the battery was replaced 2 years ago.
It's an Optima yellow top.
I brought the battery to Autozone in Columbus after replacing the alternator and it was load tested and found to be fully charged.

As I mentioned earlier I bought 2 Bosch 15716 O2 sensors at Summit Racing. My plan was to find a garage to replace them in the morning since it was raining late Saturday night.

I woke up and searched online for a garage near my hotel that was open on Sunday morning.
I found that there was a National Tire and Battery located in Beachwood (Cleveland) across from my hotel and would be open at 9:00 am.

I was there at 8:50 waiting for them to open.
At 9:00 the manager and 1 employee show up and the manager asks how he can be of assistance.
I explain to him that I am 4 hours into a 15 hour trip and that the car is running rich but showing lean on Bank#2 which is the drivers side.
I also told him that I had bought 2 O2 sensors at Summit Racing because I was already there to pick up an order.
Right off the bat he informs me that it's a national corporate policy they cannot install customer supplied parts.
I am in the HVAC business and I will install a customers supplied parts if I am not responsible if they do not function. At that point I just wanted to get the car done so I could get on the road.
I told him that I was willing to pay for them to replace the drivers side O2 sensor with one that they would supply but I was concerned that they may not find one being Sunday.
It is at this time that I was informed that I would need to wait till 11:00am for his technician to arrive to do a diagnostic for $85.00.

I had the feeling that he was trying to sucker me in and that the bill would keep getting bigger once the car was on the lift.

To make a long story short I drove 5 miles to Walmart and bought a pair of 3 ton jack stands an adjustable wrench, and a bottle of Techron injector cleaner for under $50.00.
The box that the jack stands came in doubled as a mat to lie on and in 15 minutes I had the 2 O2 sensors replaced and the tune re flashed.
Gas milage at 75MPH increased to 22.5mpg and to 20.3mpg at 85mph

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I was nuts dropping off a 6060 trans in ten with the Stang how did you get a shortblock in there
Pulled the passenger seat out, folded down the rear seats and placed the original crate minus the top cover in there.
I then strapped it down and re-installed the front seat.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Especially the part where you didn't give the pos garage any money.

The thing that bothered me was that I was willing to pay for his O2 sensor up to the point he tried to pull the diagnostic fee stunt on me.
I drove 1,000 miles and spent a good deal of money to get the shortblock so another $100 or so to replace the O2 sensor wouldn't have bothered me if I was able to get it replaced and on the road quickly.

I now hope others will read this and not darken the doorstep of this national chain of store.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just a scumbag trying to squeeze you for every dime since he figured he had you over a barrel. Good for you doing it without their help. Assholes like that make me feel dirty even after I walk away.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea that's crap. U wanted a specific part replaced, simple, didn't ask to figure out the issue.

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
Damn I did the samething I took out the passenger seat and that's where I put the tranny but damn if I would have read this earlier I could have helped as I am in Columbus right off 71 I am a tech at Firestone or you could've done the work at my house

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I also told him that I had bought 2 O2 sensors at Summit Racing because I was already there to pick up an order.
Right off the bat he informs me that it's a national corporate policy they cannot install customer supplied parts.
It is at this time that I was informed that I would need to wait till 11:00am for his technician to arrive to do a diagnostic for $85.00.

I had the feeling that he was trying to sucker me in and that the bill would keep getting bigger once the car was on the lift.

Yeah, once the car's on a lift and the work has started, they've got you over a barrel. First they want to charge you for a diagnostic that you don't need 'cause you already know the diagnosis, and then they want you to buy their parts (no doubt for a handsome premium).
Glad you didn't fall for it but anyone who doesn't have the same DIY skills might not have a choice especially on a Sunday morning, and that's when these garages take advantage.

To make a long story short I drove 5 miles to Walmart and bought a pair of 3 ton jack stands an adjustable wrench, and a bottle of Techron injector cleaner for under $50.00.
The box that the jack stands came in doubled as a mat to lie on and in 15 minutes I had the 2 O2 sensors replaced and the tune re flashed.
Gas milage at 75MPH increased to 22.5mpg and to 20.3mpg at 85mph

Great job!

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn I did the samething I took out the passenger seat and that's where I put the tranny but damn if I would have read this earlier I could have helped as I am in Columbus right off 71 I am a tech at Firestone or you could've done the work at my house

Actually when I stopped at the Autozone in Columbus, I was still thinking that it was an electrical issue. Only after driving towards Cleveland and seeing the amount of fuel that I was consuming did my thinking go towards the O2 sensor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back