opinions needed

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i am installing a modified GT500 hood on my 08 bullitt mustang.
i have welded the windshield washer holes shut, cut out openings for trakspec hood vents and cut and modified the hood to install aerocatch hood pins where the outer stops are.

my question is should i weld in the part that rises in the middle of the hood?
pic of what i am thinking about welding up. NOT MY CAR copied a image of the internet.
65861d1458688263t-gt500-hood-stock-gt-gt500.jpg

as you all know a stock GT the front edge is straight across and doesn't bow up in the middle like in the pic.
i have the metal strips to weld in, i think i will trace the front edge of my hood to get the contour right. i have been practicing on a scrap hood and am confident on being able to do it. i am about 80% sure i will do it. i just need a push to decide and some free time at work, about 4 hours, to actually do it.
my biggest concern is the front line on the hood will be about 1 1/2"- 2" wide in the center and look odd.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS about doing this. i have a thick skin so i can take criticism.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You could reshape that part of the hood and take the hard angle transition out instead of making it more bull nosed to lower the underside hood line

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i wish i could do that.
on a GT500 hood. the 1 1/8" body that goes straight over the headlamps like a GT hood. then after the headlamps curves upward over the grill.
under the body line is 2 layers of metal to support the hood. on a GT there is only 1 layer. of metal. the 2 layers of metal are right next to the top skin.
to reshape i would have to completely cut off the front 3" of the hood, reshape 3 layers of metal and then weld everything back together.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
with the tracspec hood vents and air dams on the sides of the radiators to direct air thru the radiators i will get plenty of airflow.

46addict

Reaction score
Does your hood bow up in the middle section like the hood in the pic? I would leave that as is. Welding something in would make it look like every other GT but the bowing up in the mid-section makes it look unique. I didn't know GT500 hoods do that.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
yes ALL stock 07-09 GT500 hoods bow up in the middle like in the pic.
in my mind the idea behind welding it up makes it look like a GT but it's modified to look like a GT500. honestly if i weld that bow up it will probably be the only car in existence that has that done to it.
you could call my build- project bullitt 500.
it's a 08 bullitt mustang that will look like a hybrid gt500/ bullitt mustang.
i have modified my front bumper by welding in gt500 fog lamps and lower chin spoiler.
i have welded up the antenna hole in a extra rt fender. welding done just not painted and installed yet.
i will install a new trunk lid with a gt500 spoiler. not painted and installed yet.
i will install a new gt500 rear bumper with gt500 mud flaps. not painted and installed yet.
i will install gt500 rocker moldings. have but not installed yet.
i will install modified 07-09 gt500 wheels. 10" wide in the front 11" in the rear. have but not installed yet and still need to buy tires.
i have installed a TVS 2.3 supercharger with a DOB intake. already done.
i have installed a 6060 6 speed trans. already done.
i have 14" 6 piston baer front brakes with 14" 4 piston rear brakes with ford racing FR500 abs module. already done
i have a shelby gt500 center dash gauge pod not installed yet.
i also have a NOS GT500 dash pad that i haven't installed yet, not sure if i will install it.
i have but not sure if i will install boss 302 side exhaust pipes. also have BMR full subframe connectors. i will have to modify them to work with the side exhaust. maybe next years project.

the stock bullitt has gt500 front seat covers.
i also hope to install a 6 point cage with racing seats and 6 point harness next year.

here are 2 threads on some of the mods i have done.
http://www.imboc.com/forums/225-08-09-mods/354849-0898-finally-gets-some-more-mods.html
http://www.imboc.com/forums/225-08-09-mods/335969-my-custom-front-bumper.html
i never really cared for big area below the bumper. i have modified the bumper to make the lower grill opening larger to take the gap area away.
i also removed the centers of the mesh on the bullitt grill for more air flow.
i also removed the center of the openings on the lower grill sides and modified silverhorse racing center inserts to fit the 2" wider lower grill i made.
iCq0UZW.jpg

i have added about 2" to the lower grill opening. here is some extra scrap bumper pieces i have started welding in. i still need to trim the edges that the lower grill snaps into.
fyO9ltc.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back