Optima Yellow Top Battery Failure

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
My Optima Y/T battery croaked 1 year to the day since I purchased it. I really expected a longer life from a $200 battery. No other starting or charging system problems. Anyone else experienced short life from the Optima battery?

I do not have an electric water pump that I run after the engine is shut off, nor do I run the I/C pump or fan after the engine is shut off. The vehicle does sit for extended periods of time but has a battery tender on the battery 24/7.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Optima Y/T battery croaked 1 year to the day since I purchased it. I really expected a longer life from a $200 battery. No other starting or charging system problems. Anyone else experienced short life from the Optima battery?

I do not have an electric water pump that I run after the engine is shut off, nor do I run the I/C pump or fan after the engine is shut off. The vehicle does sit for extended periods of time but has a battery tender on the battery 24/7.
does 2 months count? I just killed one recently with a single deep discharge (car sat for a month).

Have not gotten around to investigating further yet, but it is dead - 10.8V won't take a charge at any current...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I can charge mine up to 100% and one cranking cycle will kill it completely. Very disappointing.

I threw the OEM battery back in, took it to the dealer, and they replaced the original battery with another Motorcraft BXT-40R battery under warranty.

Another paperweight for my desk. It can sit next to my Granatelli coils.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Bummer... I'm surprised mine is still alive. I've killed it a few times already, but it takes a charge and comes back good as new.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I even made sure my battery tender was on the correct setting for a deep cycle battery.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a red top in my 65 that died but it was replaced under the warrenty and no issues since. I think I just got a defective one.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My red top has worked flawlessly.

I'd get in touch with Optima, and get a replacement under warranty.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back