Paul's 2011 Race Red GT Build

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
hmm. Seeing how it replaces the lower box makes me want to swap the Barton for one. The Barton just replaces the top half, and their brackets go onto the stock lower box. If they keep making improvements on them though, I may just wait until I've done everything else I need to do in the next couple of years.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
@ Paul. I've seen on another forum that the MGW with the new design doesn't fit on the premium package without modifying the boot and/or shifter knob. I did notice that you have the GT500 boot. Did you have to do anything to make yours fit?

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
@ Paul. I've seen on another forum that the MGW with the new design doesn't fit on the premium package without modifying the boot and/or shifter knob. I did notice that you have the GT500 boot. Did you have to do anything to make yours fit?

Nope. Whoever said that is crazy.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Last edited:

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmm.

I have the Shelby shifter boot, not the premium. I did ream out my boot just a tiny bit when I installed it with my stock shifter. This was long before I installed the MGW, but it was more to accommodate the way the premium polished shifter ball seated into the boot. It didn't have anything to do with the shifter. (at the time)

That said, if the user isn't capable of reaming out a few thousandths worth of plastic, they likely aren't cut out to handle the MGW install either.

Long story short, mine fit like a champ with the 2014 MGW shifter, the Shelby boot, (which was previously reamed out - whether it needed to be or not) and the polished premium OEM shifter ball.

So maybe I am the crazy one. :)

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
So I finally finished my 2013 Shelby brake install. I received these way back in June of 2013. The trouble with being a perfectionist is that I won't install anything unless it's just right. I did the rear brakes a long time ago, and they went in without a hitch. Took about a day (because I'm slow), pulled the axles, installed the bigger anchors on the axle housing, swapped the big rotors on, and boom... done.

The fronts were super easy - except that I wanted to paint them because I didn't want boring black brakes. The flat ugly gray on the stock 14" Brembos was boring, and I wasn't going to go to all the trouble to swap on new ones unless I blinged 'em up a little bit. :) I went to the paint store and bought expensive automotive paint in 2000 Ford Mustang Sunburst Gold and 2011 Ford Mustang Race Red. I had the paint put in aerosol cans, and ordered custom-made Brembo logo stencils so I could paint the logos back on instead of using lame stickers. The trouble was, the first few times I tried painting the logos, the stupid cheap black spray paint I was using for the "Brembo" lettering kept peeling off or feathering at the edges when I pulled the stencils. The high quality Race Red paint was coming off perfect. After trying multiple times to get red logos with black lettering, I gave up and went with all red lettering. I'm actually really pleased with how it came out. I sprayed eight coats of clear on it too, which toned down the gold a little bit, and made it kind of similar to factory Brembo gold.

Here's the completed calipers after reassembly.

This is how I started off this morning...

The factory 14" 4-piston Brembos were looking a little sad, oxidized a bit from the wheel cleaner my detailer uses.

I pulled everything off, and installed the tiny new heat shields, which essentially just protect the tie rod end from the heat of the rotor.

Here's a bigger shot of everything pulled off. My old calipers are hanging on a bunjee cord.

All my old brakes piled up on the floor.

This is the GIANT 15", 32-pound rotor installed, and my new caliper hanging from a bunjee cord.

Couple pics of the new brakes installed.

After I finished the install, my buddy Richard came by to help bleed them real quick. The kit from Ford even came with some new motorcraft fluid - it's a really nice complete kit. Here's what everything looks like with the wheels back on and the car on the ground.

...and the whole car with the fancy new brakes. I really like them!

Other than buying some 2-piece rotors, I can't think of much more that I'd like to do to the outside of the car. I'll probably clean up and paint the rear brake anchors and calipers a dark mineral gray at some point for a clean look, but that's minor. I really happy with the way the car looks now, and I'm really glad I stuck with the gold calipers despite all the haters. I could've done Race Red on the calipers with white lettering, but I didn't want them to blend - I wanted them to stick out. I like this color, and don't think it's over the top.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Yes, I've decided to sell my stockers. I've kept all my factory parts to this point, but when I sell the car, I'll just sell the brakes with it. The cost differential isn't enough to make swapping back worth it. I can't decide if I'm gonna paint up my old brakes all nice and sell them for more, or just sell them the way they are now.

Paul.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
You need to fire your detailer!!!! He ruined the finish on your factory Brembo brakes and that's unacceptable IMO. He'll also ruin your 6-pot setup too if you let him.

Car looks great!

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
link to said paint you used? looking to do this to my brakes

I just bought it at a local automotive paint store. If you look back in this thread, you can see the process I used and my materials. It wasn't cheap - my materials cost me over $200 if I remember right.

I still have I think 1.5 cans of Sunburst Gold and almost two whole cans of Race Red left over, plus a bunch more stencils. All I need is another can of clear coat and I could do several more sets. That's why I thinking of doing my old brakes before I sell them. It's kind of fun - I like doing this sort of thing. Finding the time can be tough though...

Nice meeting you Friday night at the track.

If you didn't find it yet, here is the 1/2 mile race stuff
http://www.omegamotorsport.com/#!noflyzone-arizona/cxwa

Good to meet you too Nick. I was happy with my new times. Now I need to get back there and try to improve my 60' and get into the 12.50s. I'm gonna check out that website. It would be fun to run flat-out for a 1/2 mile.

Looks professional Paul :thumb:

Thanks man! I take pride in my work.

You need to fire your detailer!!!! He ruined the finish on your factory Brembo brakes and that's unacceptable IMO. He'll also ruin your 6-pot setup too if you let him.

Car looks great!

Nah, my detailer is awesome. He's the lead at Schumacher Mercedes here in Scottsdale, and has been supporting his family with that job for over 14 years. Needless to say, he knows his stuff. The reason the brakes are oxidizing is because Ford wasn't smart enough to paint them. The new ones will be fine. I've seen lots of other cars with the same thing.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, and don't use that VHT caliper paint for the stencils... It doesn't work for shit.

28ONE

Reaction score
Huge improvment! Never liked that flat grey look of the Brembos...would've liked to paint mine but I'm lazy and just don't have the time...

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Attended No Fly Zone Arizona over the weekend - a half-mile top speed run event at an airport just outside of town. This was the most fun I've had at a car event in quite a while. You get to go flat-out for a full half-mile on the airstrip, then you have another half-mile to stop. My buddy Jamie and I went out there. He was in his 700 hp Shelby and me in my slow Coyote. I was pretty much the slowest car in the place, since pretty much everyone is making at least 600 or more horsepower. It was nuts. There was a twin turbo Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera that went 208.5 mph. Holy shit.

Anyway, here's some pics.

I didn't take many pics, but here's a few:

I was following Jamie on the way out to get used to his taillights, which would become a theme the rest of the day.

Richard and Jamie

Nasty ZR1 that went 175 mph

Couple shiny new vettes. I raced the black one a few times.

Blue one.

Lots of GTRs out there running.

They have gold brakes, so they must be fast.

A picture of Jesus and some other lesser vehicle.

Shiny red viper. Don't think he was running.

My GF got a ride in this Viper. It went 153.

A new mustang parked where it belongs.

Black GTR. Notice the brakes.

There was a badass Mustang out there with probably the best brakes in the universe.

When this car rolled out of the trailer people were all like :shock:

I got ancy as soon as cars started to run. I yelled at Jamie "let's light this candle" and off we went. He thinks I'm peculiar.

This is what it looks like when Jamie's Shelby runs against a scaled-down version of God.

Me vs myself... since that's the only thing I could beat out there.

Me giving my old mom a ride in Jamie's car.

...and my car headed out.

I ran this black vette quite a few times. He never outran me by much, and I pretty much always had him outta the hole.

My GF is even sexy wearing a helmet.

GTR Goodness. (notice the brakes btw)

Some white CTS-V. I lost by a lot less that I thought I would against this car. The wrap on it was nice. Good looking car.

Random cars.

Ricers.

Nice ass.

The best looking, best sounding, and all around bestest car out there. It was the best.

BEST.

...along with the plebians trying to measure up.

The professional photographer took a few great pics - I had to buy these.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and results...

My stock Coyote managed 135 mph. My buddy's Shelby did 158. There was a ZR1 there with 1000 or so horsepower running 175. Bunch of cars in the 150s in general.

Here's a vid of me vs a 517 rwhp supercharged M3. I had her the whole dang time, until right at the end when she drove around me and pulled 2 car lengths. I had most of the cars until the 1/4 mile mark when their horsepower took over and I got smoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnL8Mmip0lo

Paul.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I'll be in the bathroom for a few minutes:

Ferrari458_zpsa51ebfb2.jpg

There are some videos of the LaFerrari doing airstrip runs on YouTube. That thing can f**king fly. The Veyron has trouble keeping up.

Back