Pictures of 275/40/18 on all 4's?

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
As the title says.... anyone with picture of 275/40/18 on all 4's. I am moving away from a staggered setup and have my eye on these Hankooks but I would like to see it on another Mustang first if possible before I pull the trigger. Thanks

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...leSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&oEvent=event5

hk_ventus_v12evo_ci2_l.jpg

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
275/45-18 continental extremecontact dw on stack racing saleen reps (18x9).

I went with the 45 profile vs the 40 due to the fact that it fills the fenders in a little better, and I wanted a little more sidewall for off-the-line hook.

temporary-2.jpg

(thumbnails)

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you... is that factory height? I am running the Eibach Pro Kit so I am dropped about 1.5". 275/40/18 may be pushing it on a 8.5" rim though so this is why I'm trying to get some pics together

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
FRPP K Springs, so the same as your Eibach springs iirc. 1.5" drop. 275/45 may be pushing it, yeah. They sit just about even with my wheels that are 9", maybe even a little bulge, but the contis have a soft-ish sidewall

jsnyng

Reaction score
what about handling

That's not a fair fight comparison coming from me. I had a very good suspension (Koni/Steeda) with less than stellar 275/40 tires (Sumitomo HTR Z III). Now I've got an even better suspension (KW V3 coilovers) with great 275/45 tires (Continental DW).

If you want me to "bench race" comparable tire to comparable tire in my head, the 275/40 gives you a lower center of gravity and faster acceleration. I'd give the nod to the 275/40 in an apples to apples comparison. Please keep in mind that tire compound means everything in handling. Example: same day same autocross course - 255/40 Pirelli PZero was 1.5 seconds faster than 275/40 Sumitomo and a 285/35 Hankook RS 3 was 1.5 seconds faster than the Pirelli which worked out to 3 seconds faster than the Sumitomo.

jsnyng

Reaction score
PS The Hankook V12 is a fantastic tire for the money. It has very good dry handling but not as good as the Hankook RS3. Where it really shines is that it is lightyears better in the rain and cold compared to the RS3 which was batshit scary in either of those scenarios.

killermustang

forum member
Reaction score
That's not a fair fight comparison coming from me. I had a very good suspension (Koni/Steeda) with less than stellar 275/40 tires (Sumitomo HTR Z III). Now I've got an even better suspension (KW V3 coilovers) with great 275/45 tires (Continental DW).

If you want me to "bench race" comparable tire to comparable tire in my head, the 275/40 gives you a lower center of gravity and faster acceleration. I'd give the nod to the 275/40 in an apples to apples comparison. Please keep in mind that tire compound means everything in handling. Example: same day same autocross course - 255/40 Pirelli PZero was 1.5 seconds faster than 275/40 Sumitomo and a 285/35 Hankook RS 3 was 1.5 seconds faster than the Pirelli which worked out to 3 seconds faster than the Sumitomo.

is your 285/35 on your PF01's to small/uncomfortable for the street or you only using it for competition?

jsnyng

Reaction score
is your 285/35 on your PF01's to small/uncomfortable for the street or you only using it for competition?

I ran that combo on the street and competition from June-October last year. Once the temperatures outside were consistently below 45°, it was like trying to drive roller skates on ice. Now the PF01's are sporting 295/30/18 Hoosier A6 tires and have been relegated to race duty only. The 285/35 is a short tire.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
PS The Hankook V12 is a fantastic tire for the money. It has very good dry handling but not as good as the Hankook RS3. Where it really shines is that it is lightyears better in the rain and cold compared to the RS3 which was batshit scary in either of those scenarios.

We have desert conditions here and it is parked for the winter. I have heard good things about these tires and they are priced right.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running 275/40/18's on my car the last 3 years. I think they're the perfect size on our cars if you're wanting to run the same on all 4 corners.

(These are old pictures):
rr11.jpg

rr7.jpg

rr2.jpg

gt500-3.jpg

photobucket-31744-1338662726605.jpg

dallasracewayedit.jpg

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
275/45-18 continental extremecontact dw on stack racing saleen reps (18x9).

I went with the 45 profile vs the 40 due to the fact that it fills the fenders in a little better, and I wanted a little more sidewall for off-the-line hook.

temporary-2.jpg

(thumbnails)

Nick,

You ever take the car down the dragstrip on those? Reason I ask is I do have drag radials BUT we have an event coming up where I MUST run street tires and the tires youve got are the same as mine. Just need to know if you found a happy PSI level for them when letting air out.

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
Honestly I haven't made it to the strip this year yet. My 2nd gear synchro is essentially shot, so it's rather demotivating at the strip. I know street/strip launch is COMPLETELY different, but for what its worth, at 32PSI I can damn near straight dump the clutch at ~3k RPM on the street and go WOT instantly with a hint of wheel spin and that is all.

I'm in awe with these tires. When I do go up to the strip, I'm going to air them down to 20-22PSI. They have stiff sidewalls, but not nearly as stiff as a lot of the summer tires out there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back