Pinion bearing issue

63XL500

Reaction score
I have a 2007 GT/CS with only 63,000 miles. I was surprised to find yesterday after putting the car on my neighbors lift that the whining noise coming from the drivetrain is coming from the pinion gear bearing. We verified with his stethoscope. It has been driven spiritedly since it has a Roush TVS2300 but has only been drag raced once or twice in its life. It also has full BMR racing suspension and an aluminum one piece driveshaft. The question I have for the tech folks is should I check out anything when replacing the bearing, any issues known with these rear ends? I will basically just rebuild the rear end. I did a quick search and didn't find anything but of course may have missed something. I has been on a chassis dyno a half dozen times but I wouldn't think that could cause and issue with the pinion bearing. Thanks for any info.

cjb7804

Reaction score
Bearing can pit out along with the races, making the noise. Seen it a lot on dodges and jeeps lately. New bearings and races and check your clutch packs and new fluid with friction modifier, you'll be good to go.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Also check the shim under the larger bearing. I've seen one where the bearing would spin on the pinion shaft and it wore down the shim.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Once inside do a complete visual inspection of everything you can see. Pinion Bearing can be a common issue once any type of power is applied to the differential. You also don't show a complete list of mods. With the Blower, was a gear change done? If so what brand bearings were used?

63XL500

Reaction score
It is the factory rear end with 3.55 gears. At HPP it made 511 to the wheels in January 2012 but then a little timing was pulled out in June of that year when detonation could be heard in hot weather under partial throttle acceleration. I am going to retain the 3.55s since its a fair weather daily and doesn't see any track use, at least not yet. Since it will be apart anyway I guess the thing to do is go ahead and have it built with extra clutches and change out axle bearings. I do plan on running drag radials when I do make it to the track so I might as well do everything now so I know its ready to go. I wondered about changing out the axles but I think the stock axles will live with this much power and not doing any redline launches on slicks.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
IMO: replace all bearings and seals with oem components, inspect the clutches, ditch the crush sleeve for a solid pinion spacer

63XL500

Reaction score
OK, I actually hadn't heard of a solid a solid pinion spacer before. What is the biggest advantage of the solid spacer, removing slop from pinion location? Being here in Fort Worth I was thinking about either going with GearHeads or Fort Worth Gear and Axle. There is also a guy on the local Mustang forum that a couple of people have recommended. If anyone has a suggestion let me know.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
OK, I actually hadn't heard of a solid a solid pinion spacer before. What is the biggest advantage of the solid spacer, removing slop from pinion location? Being here in Fort Worth I was thinking about either going with GearHeads or Fort Worth Gear and Axle. There is also a guy on the local Mustang forum that a couple of people have recommended. If anyone has a suggestion let me know.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/fordspbs.htm

the oem crush sleeve can crush further on hard launches causing improper pinion bearing preload. this will eliminate that

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since you're in there....Isn't that what we all say? You may want to consider a TrueTrac...then you don't have to worry about the clutches.

63XL500

Reaction score
Yep, just like a friend of mine that ended up with a crack in the 302 block in his 82 GT, bought another 302 block to just replace it, however last week bought a 408. It never ends but is a lot of fun! I will definitely consider a TrueTrac, that is a good idea if I can afford it.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

Biggest advantage is it won't crush further.

Second advantage is easy install. Just torque it until it won't turn anymore, then check preload. Add or subtract shims and do it again. You don't have to use a new one because you can't over crush it

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Biggest advantage is it won't crush further.

Second advantage is easy install. Just torque it until it won't turn anymore, then check preload. Add or subtract shims and do it again. You don't have to use a new one because you can't over crush it

Worth doing for that alone

63XL500

Reaction score
Interesting that the rebuild kit I bought from Late Model says it comes with an upgraded GT500 inner pinion bearing. Once it is torn down hopefully the issue will be obvious.

oh5gt

Reaction score
I have a therory on what might have happened. You state you have a one peice driveshaft. Is this shaft one with the addapter piece at the pinon, or is it one which the whole pinion flange is replaced with a flange (from a 03, 04 cobra or the like)?
If the flange replacement type, I'd question the installation. Some people manage to get away without removing pinon and installing a new crush washer. Others are not so lucky and the pinion never gets its proper torque and sooner or later the pinion bearings fail.

Just a theory...

63XL500

Reaction score
Its a DynoTech aluminum driveshaft. Everything was already on the car when I bought it but that certainly could be the problem. I'll have to look up the details on that one.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I would just replace the bearings. The kit is cheap and the install is easy so long as you keep track of all your shims

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I won't let gearheads touch my car again. they did the gear install twice and both times I had a failed opinion bearing. second time I took it to a different shop and they showed me pieces of the failed bearing in the rear end. iit also took out my posi unit. gearheads didnt help and I actually still had to pay them for both installs. they discounted the second. I even filed a credit card complaint

Last edited:

63XL500

Reaction score
Thanks, I had heard both good and bad about Gearheads. However you are the second person to recommend first hand to not take it to them. I am going to take it to a guy off the DFW Mustang forum that has done lots of gear installs. When I lived in south Texas I took my cars to Pyle Bros. in Baytown but I knew there had to be someone local here in north TX.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back