Plugged the Sound Tube

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
After over 3 yrs of owning my Mustang, I finally plugged the stock intakes sound tube and hole in the firewall. Sounds soooo much better with my PypeBomb exhaust. Now I can just hear the exhaust and not all this other random intake noise. I had no idea how much quiter it would make the interior. Ford should've just put a louder exhaust on in the first place instead of engineering that whole mess of tubing. Cleans up the engine compartment, drops a few pounds off the front end, and sounds better inside (all for $11 and 5 min of work).

Zodiac

forum member
Reaction score
After over 3 yrs of owning my Mustang, I finally plugged the stock intakes sound tube and hole in the firewall. Sounds soooo much better with my PypeBomb exhaust. Now I can just hear the exhaust and not all this other random intake noise. I had no idea how much quiter it would make the interior. Ford should've just put a louder exhaust on in the first place instead of engineering that whole mess of tubing. Cleans up the engine compartment, drops a few pounds off the front end, and sounds better inside (all for $11 and 5 min of work).

I recently did the same thing. It's a huge improvement for overall interior noise, now it's just full on exhaust. Can't believe I waited 6 months to do it lol.

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh, the GT500 exhaust. What Ford should've put on the Mustang to begin with instead of adding this ridiculous device.

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, 2010+ models. It's a cleaner engine compartment, slightly less weight and quiter at some rpms. My wife actually noticed the difference at idle. Well worth the $11. I know what some of you spend on mods and this is even in my wife's words, "well worth it's cost."

Think about it. Would Ford actually spend the time and $ if it wasn't actually fulfilling a noticeable purpose? But, like I said before, placing a GT500 exhaust on the regular GT would've taken care of the issue up front.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
What did you use?

I was sold a JLT intake in the classifieds here and the plug was missing. I contacted JLT to order one, but what they sent me doesn't seem to want to stay in.

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
I had the stock intake, so not sure it's the same. But, I used a 1 3/4" plug found in the specialty fasteners section at Lowes. It's supposed to be a cap for furniture feet I believe, but works great with the stock intakes clamp.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Are you talking about on the intake or on the car itself? I need the one for the car itself.

Did you just leave that hole open?

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought a $6 master cylinder gasket to plug the firewall hole. Haven't installed it yet but online people say it fits perfectly.

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, bought the Ford master cylinder gasket plug for the firewall. It's $6, fits perfectly and looks like it was there all along. Part # 42098.

Here's a post I used to do mine. I just searched 2010 Mustang GT sound tube delete. I just copied and pasted this post from another forum, so I deserve no credit or ridicule from it.

"I have had trouble finding a list of parts that will workfor the sound tube delete other than a bunch of posts about buying the parts online for $15 + shipping. Today I decided to run to advance auto parts and Lowe's while waiting on the family and found some parts that work.

Disclaimer: Currently I am running stock intake so the intake plug may not work for aftermarket intakes, but the firewall plug should work on every mustang.

The intake plug came courtesy of Lowes and is found in the specialty fasteners section. It is a 1&3/4 inch plug cap. Pics to follow.

The firewall plug came courtesy of advance auto parts and is a brake master cylinder gasket for ford vehicles, found with other brake rebuild parts.

I reused the stock hose clamp and a 10mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the sound tube on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217480@N08/6565809559/
2010 GT 17 by aelia2008, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217480@N08/6565809885/
photo 2 by aelia2008, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217480@N08/6565810019/
photo 3 by aelia2008, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217480@N08/6565810157/
photo 4 by aelia2008, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217480@N08/6565810293/
photo 5 by aelia2008, on Flickr

I hope this is useful for everyone."

Last edited:

Vin302

forum member
Reaction score
Only good part about the sound tube is ford already gave you a nice hole on your firewall to run wires through.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I noticed a huge difference - the intake sound was annoying, but I was running an aftermarket CAI.

I'm running an AEM intake. I notice zero difference with or without the sound tube.

My exhaust is also rather loud, however.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back