popping noise when accelerating or turning right only quarter of the time???

hugh

Reaction score
i know this is a very common problem but i dont know what else to do besides just take it to a shop ive read thru many forum and most guys with this problem have aftermarket suspension ie lowering springs, coilovers ect
i am all stock except for bmr rear lower control arms and a ford performance driveshaft
this popping sound is hard to describe but its not the creaking sound ive heard from other forums sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the car i lifted the front of the car and nothing was loose and everything was firm, tomorrow i will get under the back and check the lCAs hoping maybe they are loose or something it reallly feels like something is loose, like if the car is at a dead stop like a light and you give it gas and you feel the front end lift a little and the rear squat it will pop most the time ( just started this a week or so ago) had the LCAs for 5 months, any suggestions id really be thankful this is really bothering me im going to park it until i get it straightened out because it seems to be getting worse. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.. im just hoping someone has dealt with this in the past and fixed it, either way i will post what it is when i figure out thanks

DieHarder

Reaction score
Check the sway bar upper links where they bolt to the body. If they're not tight or holes for the upper links are hogged out the shift in weight can make them move and you'll hear a clunking sound. Can be fixed by various means including welding in washers/ sleeves and ensuring bolts do not have any play in the mounts. I find as long as mine are tight (without crushing the mounts) that usually takes care of it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Check the top nut on the strut. I had it back off and cause an intermittent rattle.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you lube the poly bushings? If so did you use silicone or synthetic grease on them or just standard petroleum grease? BMR poly bushings are only to be lubed with silicone or synthetic grease. Standard grease will errode the poly bushings and BMR may not cover them under warranty. If you haven't greases them...grease them and see if that helps.

Did you torque properly to 130 ftlb or just tighten them to what you thought was 130 ftlb? If the latter properly torque them.

Last poly bushings on occasion simply fail. Popping is a common sound they make when this happens. If you are suspect of this put the factory CLA's back on is see if the problem goes away. Its that simple.

NVH will be heard with the harder bushing material. Some things you may be hearing are simply due to that. Rear noise will be more noticeable.

Enjoy

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Many moons ago, when we had "soccer mom vans" it was a broken motor mount...maybe check yours as well b/c it had same symptoms.

Jeff Lee

Reaction score
I second DieHarder and Redfire's suggestions. I had the same issue. At times in sounded like a gunshot it was so bad. Found my front sway bar wasn't tight enough. I thought I had it tight but it wasn't really close to the 130 lb/ft torque value. Once I got it torqued right, no more pops, clunking.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back