Positive Battery Harness

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a write up, video, or anything on what all it takes to do this job.

Issue is on 2013 GT, positive battery cable was fine, then out of nowhere car decided to not want to start, then noticed cable/terminal was seriously corroded...I'm guessing the hot/cold fluctuation with the more than usual rains aided in the problem

I have searched for days, and am having no luck as to if I should spend the like $700 to have the dealer do it, or if it is something I can do, from what I've found, it seems like it could possibly be pretty easy as is unplugging one harness and plugging in the other, but also the motor may be in the way of getting to some, in which I have no way to handle.

Please help!?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
On my '09 it was no big deal. The harness has two leads, one from the battery to the fuse panel and the other is routed from the battery down to the starter. Just follow the lead and disconnect all the attachment points, then reinstall the new cable routing it the same way. You will need to jack up the front of the car and possibly remove the right front wheel for access and better visibility. Obviously use jackstands before crawling under the car.

coop6

forum member
Reaction score
I had this done on my car. The battery was over charging which caused heavy corrosion. One day the cable broke! Not happy and was just past the warranty. The harness was on back order for a few months. A buddy that works at a dealership did a temp fix (would've worked fine for a long time) just didn't look perfect. Once the harness was in ( got for almost cost) he installed it. Took him 3 hours with all the parts needed and know how. The harness connects to a lot of things! If you would be comfortable changing a converter or cams, install it. If you're like me and only feel comfortable changing cai, springs and control arms... Pay! Don't let them screw you on the prove though. It can easily be done in 4 hrs. They'll tell you 6-8hrs. BS!!! Check on tasca for the parts cheap. Good luck! May need a new battery if you're getting corrosion. Ford had an issue with our batteries.

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
I had this done on my car. The battery was over charging which caused heavy corrosion. One day the cable broke! Not happy and was just past the warranty. The harness was on back order for a few months. A buddy that works at a dealership did a temp fix (would've worked fine for a long time) just didn't look perfect. Once the harness was in ( got for almost cost) he installed it. Took him 3 hours with all the parts needed and know how. The harness connects to a lot of things! If you would be comfortable changing a converter or cams, install it. If you're like me and only feel comfortable changing cai, springs and control arms... Pay! Don't let them screw you on the prove though. It can easily be done in 4 hrs. They'll tell you 6-8hrs. BS!!! Check on tasca for the parts cheap. Good luck! May need a new battery if you're getting corrosion. Ford had an issue with our batteries.

Thanks! I am good doing stuff, but would like a write up or something just to make sure I don't miss anything, and what all is involved...If I can get to it without having to do anything with the motor and trans I'll be fine, but don't want to have to undo anything(not a big fan of working with electronics)...If you think someone with experience taking 4 hrs, I have a pretty good feeling that it is more involved than undoing plugs and bolts, and putting them all back via new harness.

I would figure with the issue seeming to be common, someone would have a write up somewhere!

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
On my '09 it was no big deal. The harness has two leads, one from the battery to the fuse panel and the other is routed from the battery down to the starter. Just follow the lead and disconnect all the attachment points, then reinstall the new cable routing it the same way. You will need to jack up the front of the car and possibly remove the right front wheel for access and better visibility. Obviously use jackstands before crawling under the car.

http://http://www.rockauto.com/cata...rch+for+MOTORCRAFT+WC96240&blanktemplate=true

See the part, I wish it was that easy!

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
you can get a new battery terminal end that has lugs ports on it,
then ya just need to cut wires @ battery and strip back then insert into
1 of the lugs/port .
they are used for stereo hook ups with multible wires going to battery .
the one i got is from kicker and i got it @ my local sound shop 12 bux !!! !
Amazon.com: Kicker BT4 Positive/Negative Competition Battery Terminal with 1/0-8 Gauge and 4-8 Gauge Output: MP3 Players & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ch1OAW8jL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Ch1OAW8jL

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
you can get a new battery terminal end that has lugs ports on it,
then ya just need to cut wires @ battery and strip back then insert into
1 of the lugs/port .
they are used for stereo hook ups with multible wires going to battery .
the one i got is from kicker and i got it @ my local sound shop 12 bux !!! !
Amazon.com: Kicker BT4 Positive/Negative Competition Battery Terminal with 1/0-8 Gauge and 4-8 Gauge Output: MP3 Players & Accessories

Would like to keep it stock, planning to trade it in soon, need a family vehicle, 3rd kid on the way

did you look at the service manual?

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710

I for some reason couldn't get it to work, but now that I tried on my work computer it works, go figure...will look it up!

Mine did the same thing but I just rigged up a standard battery cable end to work. I'll try to snap a pic tonight.

Don't want to "make it work" said reason above!

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to lift up the car and check where exactly things are, a few of the parts of the harness, look like they are difficult to get to.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Changing the harness is pretty easy to do. The hardest part is getting the harness routed down between the body and engine, which isn't really all that hard. There's two main branches that go under the car. One side goes to the EPAS and alternator and the other goes to a ground on the motor mount, starter, and transmission. In the engine bay the harness plugs into the PCM, and the plug on the strut tower.

This is the same harness that's needed to do a 6R80 swap so if you search around you might find some pics.

jpbaily1

Reaction score
I did the Autozone brass battery terminal w/ wingnut & bolt option. Worked fine and if you did not know you would think it came form Ford that way. Plus all of this is hidden under the pos bat cover.

I did find some stock complete wiring harnesses pulled from the recycling yard online for a reasonable price. Way under 700.00 but I am sure this was an installed price with new parts from ford @ ford.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back