Pretty Crappy results from the track

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just cant seem to get anything good going on with the car since i switched from the FRPP shocks and struts to the tokicos. nothing i try works. i went from consistent 1.60-1.62 60 foot times to 1.75-1.85 60 foots. nothing has changed really except the shocks and struts. i wish i had the FRPP ones back.

best run of the day today was a [email protected] with a 1.81 short time and it wasnt even that good a run

Video: http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/94tbird/?action=view&current=DSCN0391.flv

I had more missed shifts today then i ever have since i started racing. at least 5 missed shifts today with 2 coming in the same pass. all the misses were from 1-2 with the second one coming from the 2-3. The shifter feels a little mushier than it did before, but otherwise its shifting fine. not sure whats going on there.

Needless to say if it wasn't for some smoking hot chicks at the track today, and my buddy netting a 13.22 in a 07 auto with just a JLT Intake and a Bama Tune, it would have been a horrible day.

Last edited:

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speaking of smoking hot, it looks like smoke coming from under your hood before the launch? Sell the Tokico's and get another set of the FFRP's. Nice video anyway.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speaking of smoking hot, it looks like smoke coming from under your hood before the launch? Sell the Tokico's and get another set of the FFRP's. Nice video anyway.

that was from the burnout. i did a nice long one. if you look at the burnout video i got on youtube, you can see smoke coming from under front tires, under front grill, from hood ect lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
What are you using for a shifter? Stock?

As far as 0-60, put the Ford Racing stuff back in. The only mod I made to my suspension is the lowering kit (shocks and springs) from the FR500C sieries, and I'm pulling 1.85's on stock tires pretty consitantly now.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it is because of the shocks Ron.

I have gotten 60' in the 1.57 sec. range on 17" rims and et Streets.

When I was going 2-3 times a week to the track I was able to pull off great numbers. Now that I go 1-2 times a month I can't.

Practice Practice Practice

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it is because of the shocks Ron.

I have gotten 60' in the 1.57 sec. range on 17" rims and et Streets.

When I was going 2-3 times a week to the track I was able to pull off great numbers. Now that I go 1-2 times a month I can't.

Practice Practice Practice

you could be right i did get a ton more runs in by this time last year. at least a few hundred, but still, i just cant seem to get them dialed in at all. its pissing me off

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that was from the burnout. i did a nice long one. if you look at the burnout video i got on youtube, you can see smoke coming from under front tires, under front grill, from hood ect lol

Did you remember to close the vents lol. I remember the first serious burn out flooded smoke into the car from the air vents.

Ron, I think that those of us with lowered cars have a difficult time getting proper weight transfer, PERIOD. But heck, I remember not that long ago when an 11.xx pass was very impressive; my how our expectations have changed.

BTW, was that the tony hawk helmet cam strapped to the passenger seat?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
haha no it was my nikon camera. i used velcro to make a strap and strapped it down to the headrest pretty tight. worked out pretty well if i do say so myself.

as for weight transfer, i think it is either im out of practice, the shocks/struts not dialed in correctly, or both. with the FRPPs i saw consistent 1.60-1.62 60 foot times

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Ron;
I have been setting my Tokico's front at 6 1/2 turns and the rears at 3 1/2 turns While I just got my slicks that has seemed to be working really well for me. Just a thought. I would think the fronts should allow enough weight transfer to offset any problems the rear shocks are having. To me if you adjust everything at 5 1/2 turns it feels like I have the stock struts and shocks back in.
I'm thinking about going to test and tune tomorrow night just to give it a try with the new slicks, but the line loc's wont be in until Wednesday.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks man. im gonig to stiffen the rear to at least 4 or 3.5 on sunday

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
No problem, It looks from the video you spun a lot at the line...did you get a chance to try both lanes? Maybe the track prep was just bad?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
pro 5.0 as listed in the sig

Cool. I see a lot of stuff in sigs and have no idea what they are talking about.

My first American car was a 64 & 1/2 Mustang back in 1983 (wish I still had it). I have been running imports for the last 20 years. Mostly RX7's. So I am playing catch-up now that I am back in an American Muscle car.

I agree with thump_rrr when it comes to being out of practice. Most of the time I am at some track 2 or 3 times a week. I didn't race for about a month and when I went back I pulled 2.1 and 2.2 60' times my first 4 or 5 runs. I'm not even gona tell you my shitty RT's.
:boohoo:

Good luck with the tuning.

Spaz

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the track a couple hours ago. I'm running high 11's also, with consistent 1.6xx 60' times. Had a best of 1.598 sec today, as the track seemed really sticky.

I have the Tokicos, Eibach Pro-Kit, FRPP rear sway bar, and no front sway bar. Pretty much the same setup as you, except my battery is in the trunk, and I have subframe connectors. I run 5 turns out in the front, and 4 turns out in the rear. Launching at 3,000 RPM on 17" MT drag radials. Today I feel I could have launched at least 3,500 RPM due to the traction. But since I was in trophy class, I didn't want to screw around. I need to get out there one of these days and go for another best ET. When I bracket race, I drive conservatively so I can be consistent.

Anyhow, I drove like crap today too. Slow reaction times, and poor top end tactics. I got knocked out on my second race.:tdown: MUST PRACTICE!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back