Procharged Brothas, Vendors, Tooners in here

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I need a definitive answer to this...

The p1-sc is suppose to be 50 state smog legal. Now, you can send the unit in to get converted to a d1sc. Does anyone know for SURE that you can still pass smog. Since they give you the same housing with the carb plate on it. By looks it should be ok.. But since the sc is almost the same and power doesn't really kick on till 3k+ then can I assume with a good tune that I will still pass smog even in this shitty state?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they change the plate when they do the upgrade. Which means no EO number. However, I was never hasseled when I had the D1 on when I got smogged.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

lostsoul

Reaction score
I was hoping to convince them to leave it.. haha

if they cant maybe superchargersinc will do it, but I have read about some messed up stories from them. I dont know anyone else that will do the upgrade

dlrs14

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of horror stories out there about superchargersinc. I just sent my p1 in to procharger to upgrade to a d1. I've always been happy with their service and am glad that the d1 will come with a warranty. Sorry I can't help with an answer on smog as we don't get smog checks here, but if your choosing between sending your s/c to procharger or superchargersinc I would highly recommend sending it back to procharger.

lostsoul

Reaction score
Ill call them tomorrow and see if they can "leave the plate".

Technically, I dont have to smog because I registered in a non-test counties. Its a little under handed, but I do spend allot of time there anyways.

I just want to do a "CYA" just in case. Also if I decide to sale the car. It has to pass smog.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Can you remove the plate before you send it in, then replace it when you get it back?

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Didn't know it was now riveted. When I had my Procharger back in the day, it was glued on.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The one that's riveted to the housing with the serial number.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Oh ok, yea that is on my P1sc! lol thought it was some kind of weird restrictor plate I was missing, carry on!

lostsoul

Reaction score
looks like riveted.. I dont know how to rip that off..

DSC00922.jpg

Sooooo I called them.. and they told me it $1530 bucks to upgrade!!

they told me they they dont and wont leave the tag.. also they never tested the D1 to see if it will pass smog. He told me they have to go through hell and tons of $$$ just to get the p1 tested.

To me I think a d1 would pass.. if the SC doesnt kick on till about the same 3.5K rpm I dont see why it wouldn't. 1.5K for an upgrade is nuts though. The housing is the same just some $400 or less in parts.. and I might get another 50whp from it....

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Grind the rivets off and send it in for the upgrade. If they call you, tell them you removed it because you're having it polished by a local shop after the upgrade. What are they going to do - refuse to upgrade it?

Then glue the darn thing back on for inspection. Just throwing out ideas...

Last edited:

lostsoul

Reaction score
have you seen my plastic dip attempt? you trust me with a power tool.. haha

I have seen someone on modford post a way they did the upgrade themselfs, but you do need a press and so on.. I just dont understand why vendors here can do it much cheaper. from my understanding the upgrades for vortech and procharger are not that hard for mech heads

dlrs14

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crap! I guess their prices just went up. I just sent mine in a couple weeks ago and they quoted me $1400.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Even if you remove it and make the swap, don't you still actually have to pass the test?

Why not just buy the head unit by itself, swap the plates and sell the old one?

lostsoul

Reaction score
yea... the tag is good to show that its "carb" leagal. that might save me if I get pulled over.. and if they call the ref or sale the car I need to make sure it passes.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
In all reality it will probably pass just fine. They didn't didn't get fucked by Ca to test ea compressor.

lostsoul

Reaction score
well I was very surprised to hear they never even tried. The guy sounded surprised I even brought it up...

hell.. I'm starting to wonder if a damn F1 will pass also.. haha

I found this.. makes sense, but doesnt mean d1 cant pass with a right tune..

" ATI can only get kits legalized in California that include a supplied tune, and the D-1SC kits do not include the tune from ATI. The P-1SC and P-1SC1 complete kits are 50 state legal."

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, they have to supply the tuner and tune as tested by Ca. It's jaskassery at its finest. They have to pay Ca to test the tune and setup to see if it will pass,.......the same thing you do at the smog station. So for the thousands of dollars they have to pay out for a cert, you have to weight how many people will buy the smog legal version. Not many people trying to be smog legal with 1000hp ya know?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back