Procharged Brothas, Vendors, Tooners in here

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well.. this was fun.....not

I got the new ebay filter and it looks like above. the screen seems to be the same and not hard steel mesh like I was cutting my fingers with.. but it does seem stronger. The seller told me its good up to 30psi..

Since then I have been trying to setup a time to hit a dyno and do before and after test.. but everyone seems to be busy and not much play time. So I figured out that I can at least do a little temp test. The boost, a/f, hp will have to wait later. Basically, I wanted to do a test going down the same road at the same speed without kicking on boost or my meth injection.. everything pretty much the same around the same time.

1) So I started by leaving everything as is and warmed up the car. took it to the back street and stated the log. The Ambi temp is very wrong.. it was 101 here, not 77. Dont know if the out side temp thing works at all.

2) As you see in the first few lines of my log I start down the street with IAT= 131deg

3) Next section is a over a minute of driving @ 30mph(thing is set for mps for some reason) then ended the log

4) Stopped the log went to the house and swapped the intake for the mini mesh and left for the back road.

5) Because I stopped the car as you can see the starting IAT is higher because of heat soak. It takes about 2 minutes to get to the back road, but this is when I noticed something was not right. Even with that 2 minute of driving the temps didnt drop like I thought it would..

6) Got back to the street and stated it with IAT at 141deg.. From there you can see I did about the same time of driving and speed..

Conclusion:

With big ass stock Anderson filter over hot headers = 131-129 = 2deg reduction

With mini mesh filter = 141-138= 3 deg reduction

Sooooooooo someone tell me wtf. I know 30 mph is not much but hell I thought not having the air filter over the headers alone would have made a difference. Its almost like no matter where the filter is in the engine compartment, the air "pocket" temp is about the same. Maybe the air vol changed, but temp doesnt seem to change. Disappointing for sure. Later I will test for boost and hp change.. but I dont see how.. I'm so full of fail... ahhh

IMAG0877-1.jpg

airlog.jpg

Any heat being sucked in from the Chineese copy of a Russian tractor air intake is being taken away with the air to air intercooler. I'd venture a guess that it's also not as hot at the air filter as a person might think with all the fresh air coming in from under the car while driving.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
the intercooler is good up to 800hp. Everyone says you should be 20 or so at iat, but I'm closer to 40. At 60-70 I'm sure it will drop lower but Damn it like this racing filter don't do shit and that just leaves a new hood or some goofy air filter routing.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
A little input.... keep in mind, my P1 to D1 experi nice was on the 4.0L V6.

First, get away from the plastidip. I know it's already been said, but you probably should throw it away entirely. J/K.

Second, the D1SC upgrade was the best thing I did for my V6 back in the day, for several reasons. The main reason is that is makes about 4psi more with the same size pulley. Of course, more boost at lower RPM, means more boost at max RPM, but for reasons unclear to me, my torque was much better. There was a bigger difference in HP and Tq with the P1SC. Switching to the D1 raised HP, but the Tq was where I was really impressed. I'll see if I can dig up the dyno sheets.

Overall, the D1 just felt better. It made power so much easier. The P1 always felt 'overworked'. Now, I got my upgrade for free, as I already had the stage 2 plumbing and IC in place. The P1 I had went back 3 times for leaking. ATI decided to give me a new blower altogether, and that's when I petitioned them for an upgrade for my hassle. I ended up entering a little agreement with them where I would test out different revisions of D1s for them. I ended up testing at least 10 different combos of gearsets and seals for them. The result was the helical cut gears they now offer as an option. If you have that choice, jump on it. It is a much better sounding blower. Quiet at idle with less gear rattle (which is normal, BTW).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
Two questions?

What hood do you have?

What grill as well.....

I remember back when our cars came out.... There was a guy here in town with a saleen. He had some sort of the same problem of heat soak. He added some vents to the hood to let the heat out... If I remember correctly, he said they saw approximate 50 hp gain at times. Now I never saw the dyno sheets but this was the story he told. But we do know that heat soak is on of our enemies... So I would assume that there is some truth to his story.

The other point I that your grill might be blocking some fresh air from entering the radiator and engine compartment. We were talking this past week.... The new gt500 has NO GRILL... Maybe??? That would leave the radiator unprotected. I am not convinced that is truly practical.

But ford said that they saw 30% better flow with the new design of grill or lack there of. I am not saying to take the grill out ..but I do know for sure that I am
Cutting out some of the grill for some better flow to the radiator and engine area. This seems pretty logical and an easy mod to do....

Hope this helps....

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
First, get away from the plastidip. I know it's already been said, but you probably should throw it away entirely. J/K.

The result was the helical cut gears they now offer as an option. If you have that choice, jump on it. It is a much better sounding blower. Quiet at idle with less gear rattle (which is normal, BTW).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

haha.. trust me.. I did drop the plasti-dip.. hell I messed up painting the damn tail lights a month ago in DIY section.. I cant even do that right..

I plan on doing the D1 upgrade later, after a few pay checks, I'm going to hold off on buying a new stang till a year or 2. I'm sure a D1 will make me feel better about that.

As for the helical cut stuff its not my style. I like the loud noise and turbine deceleration. I like pulling up to ricers and not having to say a thing, letting them know not to even try. With the p1 and my mondo I like the sound.. I cant wait to hear what its like with the d1.

Two questions?

What hood do you have?

What grill as well.....

I have the stock hood on right now.. I had this one with my plasi-dip.. haha

IMAG0434.jpg

I cant test it now because I just gave up on the hood.. That hood was in an accident 2 years ago and a rleative tired to fix it. Even when I put it on it was not fitting right and the damage was still visible on the corners. Add a fucked up plasi-dip attempt and that was it. I'll have to get a new hood later. I think your right, once I get something with an opening it will release that hot pocket of air a little bit( I hope). Of course that takes more $$$

As for the front grill I already got one from moss a long time ago that opens up the front more.

IMG_0482.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back