Rear main seal repair sleeve on stock 05 motor

Laga

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen/heard of a rear main seal repair sleeve being installed at the factory? My 05 had one on the crank when it was disassembled. I got the car with .9 miles on it in 05. It never had an oil leak.

BottleRocket

Reaction score
No, but it's a great idea. Saves the seal surface on your crank. Maybe someone saw something they didn't like and installed the seal saver as a precaution.

Laga

Reaction score
The machine shop and I think there might have been a leak when the engine was originally started and tested at the factory. Instead of trying to troubleshoot the reason, they throw on a sleeve and push it out the door. The question now is, does it get reassembled with or without the sleeve? There are no marks on the crank.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The machine shop and I think there might have been a leak when the engine was originally started and tested at the factory. Instead of trying to troubleshoot the reason, they throw on a sleeve and push it out the door. The question now is, does it get reassembled with or without the sleeve? There are no marks on the crank.
Find the spec for the oil seal surface diameter. Measure your crank and see if it needs the sleeve. I would not be surprised the factory used the sleeve to fix an out of spec crank, from the factory. It happens. Which means it gets assembled with the sleeve.

Laga

Reaction score
Find the spec for the oil seal surface diameter. Measure your crank and see if it needs the sleeve. I would not be surprised the factory used the sleeve to fix an out of spec crank, from the factory. It happens. Which means it gets assembled with the sleeve.
Just got back from machine shop. There is a difference between the the size of the 2004 crank and 2005. Since mine was made in 3-05, it appears that the factory used a leftover 2004 crank with a 2005 main seal and used the sleeve to make up the difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back