Replacing a convertible top

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for this. Tried searching and only came up with a thread where the guy got his top slashed (still cringed reading that thread) but there is not any info on replacing the top. Anyways, there is a tech bullentin out that addresses this problem but of course I am out of the warranty period. Basically my top has been getting pinched along the edge of two of the braces. Now it has worn right through in two spots.

I have located a replacement top at a couple of different vendors ($599) but none of them seem to have instructions on how to install. Is this a DIY type install? I try to do all the work myself and I am reasonably handy at it as well. I am also wondering if I should be replacing anything else while I do this repair.

The biggest concern I have is that it requires special tools or some other unplanned issue. There is no way that i could afford to have it done by someone else anyways.

Are there any repairs out there that can buy me some time? The holes (2 of them) are not very big and with that right repair may not be noticable. Suggestions on repair ideas would be awesome.

I don't really drive in the rain or other bad weather but I would hate to get caught in the rain without having this issue resolved.

Can anyone help with some ideas?

Thanks

PS - will take pictures tonight if it helps

Last edited:

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Here's the pictures....

IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that our tops are extremely tough to replace without the proper know how and tools. With previous models, changing a top wasn't a great ordeal as they just folded like an accordian but ours fold up differently. LMRS sells convertible top replacement tutorials for the fox, sn95 and new edge... just not for the S197. There should be an easy fix like a patch for the holes seeing as how they are really small. I would call up your local upholstery shop and see if they can assess the damage for you. Probably will be worth your while. Good luck

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that our tops are extremely tough to replace without the proper know how and tools. With previous models, changing a top wasn't a great ordeal as they just folded like an accordian but ours fold up differently. LMRS sells convertible top replacement tutorials for the fox, sn95 and new edge... just not for the S197. There should be an easy fix like a patch for the holes seeing as how they are really small. I would call up your local upholstery shop and see if they can assess the damage for you. Probably will be worth your while. Good luck

Thanks. I had been thinking repair would buy me some time but what I am worried about is that I haven't really solved the problem. Also, to replace the top I STILL haven't fixed the problem.

C

chopper_man

You can repair it pretty easily. My 06 had a vinyl top like yours and I got a hole similar to you had. I used flexible gorilla superglue gel, just the smallest amount. Put a piece of electrical tape over it and will smooth it out. Do just a bit at a time, let it build up gradually. Mine held for over a year before I sold it. My new one has the cloth top, knock on wood, it's holding up real good thust far.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a TSB on 05 and up vert tops. Holes can develop right around the 4th or 5th support bow on the sides of the top near the side window area. Is that where yours is? I've been watching my top for issues. None so far.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that our tops are extremely tough to replace without the proper know how and tools.

Call me crazy :crazy: but I've heard the opposite. The previous models had 2 piece tops, where ours is 1 single piece. If you have the garage and a DD, I'd say go for it.

I just had mine replaced because my back window was smashed. Total cost was ~$1700, I only paid $100 through my insurance though.

Also, its a good idea to shave down the foam on the sides, because the top will rub against that and cause wear as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back