S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
From what I have seen the biggest difference in the front from our cars is the spindle and having two ball joints that make it more like a lower a arm instead of just one ball joint and arm which looks kinda flimsy compared to the new arms.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks for the large picture, Whiskey. It made this one little detail a whole lot more visible than in any previous underside view.

I know it's only loosely related to powertrain, but as a retired pipe stress engineer (and occasional DIY exhaust system fabricator) I found it interesting to see a flex section in use on something besides transverse-engine FWD cars. Why it took them so long to do something like this is the real mystery. Thermal expansions of exhaust tubing can be a bitch, especially where connections to other components or gasketed joints are concerned.

norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture11049-s550-underside.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Speaking of exhaust, that is quite the crossover pipe. Looks like an oversize prochamber. I wonder what it looks like on the inside....

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
monotube shocks? Maybe a Ford engineer rode in a Camaro ZL1 or 1LE and decided it was possible to put passable shocks on a car from the factory? Blasphemy...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
From what I have seen the biggest difference in the front from our cars is the spindle and having two ball joints that make it more like a lower a arm instead of just one ball joint and arm which looks kinda flimsy compared to the new arms.
As far as what the new arrangement "looks like", its looks are closer to the original 1960's Mustang/Falcon front suspension, except that the strut rod is now ball-jointed to the knuckle instead of being bolted directly to the lateral link.

Functionally, the S197's L-arm is a true "A-arm", while the new double ball joint design is really a virtual A-arm. The true lower pivot for the steering knuckle is not at either of the real ball joints but is somewhat outboard of them . . . and moves around in space as the wheels are steered and the links also wobble around a little.

Norm

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I'm appreciating the aero at the front...among other things.

Norm-why do you think there is only one flexible exhaust part and not a match on the other side?

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Just a guess, but that is a lot more aggressive and shorter radius's on that side that has the flex piece

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
I'm not liking all the bends in the exhaust on the new car at all. The aftermarket will have their hands full trying to straighten that thing out.

The upside is that there is probably quite a bit of weight savings to be had by ditching that Prochamber looking thingy. I bet that thing weighs at least 20lbs or more.

Am I seeing things or does it look like Ford ditched the two piece drive shaft also? It appears to be quite a bit shorter also which is certainly a plus.

In any case, the new car still looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Still a 2 pc driveshaft. You see the second shaft start at the end of the exhaust chamber.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Still a 2 pc driveshaft. You see the second shaft start at the end of the exhaust chamber.

What does that matter? The car does not have a live axle. Once that angle is set, it should be good to right? It thought that was one of the things that IRS folks don't have to worry about...the whole necessity of gross pinion angle adjustment for ride heights and bushing changes.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Norm-why do you think there is only one flexible exhaust part and not a match on the other side?

Only one side needs to flex for thermal expansion. If they were both solid it would put stress on the resonator/crossover box but by allowing one side to give that takes the stress off of the resonator. If they were both flexible it wouldn't support the resonator as well.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
What does that matter? The car does not have a live axle. Once that angle is set, it should be good to right? It thought that was one of the things that IRS folks don't have to worry about...the whole necessity of gross pinion angle adjustment for ride heights and bushing changes.

Doesn't really matter to me 2013DIBGT asked about it above.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Found another picture:
attachment.php

Cross-axis joint lateral link with integrated air deflectors for increase brake cooling.

Interesting, obviously they can get away with it since the lateral link provides very little in the way of NVH due to handling the lateral loads exclusively.

attachment.php

Belly pan air channels. Obviously doesn't work as well as proper cooling ducts but I wonder how well it actually will work out on the track. God knows those 15" Brembo's aught to woah the car down pretty quickly.

It really is impressive how much S197 DNA is in this car though. That front K-member mounting area and the floor pan in general just screams S197 because it really is. There are a few minor differences such as the area on around the center differential carrier bearing on the S197 has that recessed area in the stamping that conveniently mounts a torque arm without welding which is absent on the S550. Gas tanks are pretty similar but the area aft of it is significantly different. You can see the IRS sub assembly mounting points and the good news is they look pretty far apart. Hard to tell if they are solidly mounted or not. If it is solidly mounted that means the soft gooey bushings are in the control arms, which SUCKS.

Speaking of soft gooey bushings. Norm, that lower arm in the IRS with the bushings not being in a line, I would imagine Delrin and hard poly bushings would be a bad thing correct? Would rod ends work without binding up in both or has Ford given us the giant shaft with regards to aftermarket bushing replacement?

NVH through the driveline is still present. That is the only reason the S197 came with a 2 piece driveshaft as making the drive shaft 2 piece actually increases the angle that the u-joints and CV joints have to work through on a live axle car during bump/rebound. The heavier 2 piece driveshaft has a different resonance than a 1 piece drive shaft due to the added weight and it keeps that resonance from coming through all of the suspension bushings. I doubt these cars will make it 6 months before someone puts a 1 piece on them.

That said, I can guarantee the S550 will still have pinion angle changes as I doubt Ford is going to use anything but big ole gooey bushings everywhere on that IRS assembly which means pinion angle changes...

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Only one side needs to flex for thermal expansion. If they were both solid it would put stress on the resonator/crossover box but by allowing one side to give that takes the stress off of the resonator. If they were both flexible it wouldn't support the resonator as well.

Ah. The temp exchange can transfer at the crossover. I didn't think about that when I first looked at it. I was thinking one side should put out close to the same heat as the other side, but I get it now. Thanks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Ah. The temp exchange can transfer at the crossover. I didn't think about that when I first looked at it. I was thinking one side should put out close to the same heat as the other side, but I get it now. Thanks.
Even if both pipes expanded identically (symmetrically - almost), their lateral expansion (the slanted portions of the piping runs) will still heat up and expand a whole lot more than the engine block and heads ever should (if the engine ever did heat up that hot, an exhaust system failure would be the least of your worries).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Speaking of soft gooey bushings. Norm, that lower arm in the IRS with the bushings not being in a line, I would imagine Delrin and hard poly bushings would be a bad thing correct? Would rod ends work without binding up in both or has Ford given us the giant shaft with regards to aftermarket bushing replacement?
It's not a situation where I'd want poly or Delrin either.

I need a better picture than what I've seen so far, but it might be possible to use one spherical if the bolt axis to the other connection passes through the center of that spherical, and I think then you could use the one hard cylindrical bushing.

That said, I can guarantee the S550 will still have pinion angle changes as I doubt Ford is going to use anything but big ole gooey bushings everywhere on that IRS assembly which means pinion angle changes...
Yup. But maybe the aftermarket will release some firmer diff bushings to hold even a smallish PA change down still further and make a 1-piece d/s even more attractive. Should probably package the d/s and the bushings together.

Norm

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Ford had talked about the Belly Pan ducts in their "Aerodynamics" video. Supposed to be a Perf. Pkg. only option.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
yeah...so I don't think those "belly pan ducts" will be worth much, but what do I know? I'd still run some actual ducts.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back