S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Common Core Math happened

Or Edmunds was misfed information or just lied. From what I can recall Ford never said that it will be lighter than the S197. That may have been their goal but they never said it will be. It was all the magazines and journalists that kept the weight reduction rumors alive.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I'd never trust information from Edmunds anyways. I always found them feeding consumers a bunch of misinformation when I was selling cars.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Common Core Math happened

I sent one hell of a letter back to the teacher when I found out my son was learning partial quotient instead of long division. but anyways...

from day one had a feeling the car was going to be heavier. it has to be. they want to make the chassis stiffer, more safety, more options, IRS, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, how in the hell were they going to drop "hundreds" of pounds?

but I still remained hopeful that they had something up their sleeve.

As far as assuming the new stangs will handle worse then the outgoing model simply because of weight, that has yet to actually be seen. If it does happen I will say "yeah you were right", but I doubt it will work out like that when comparing option for option, stock for stock, 14' vs 15'.

P.S. oh yeah, and design it to dampen NVH so the car can compete with BMW, while dropping hundreds of pounds, forgot about that one.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Aluminum....it's calling...and it's not being answered except for in the damn trucks.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Here is the video for the ecoboost from Ignition. Including lap around Willow. I think it did pretty well considering its company in track times. But it's mentioned major down fall is weight unfortunately. But I think the aftermarket will take very well to the ecoboost and possibly earn Ford a whole other genre of customer with it.

2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost: SVO Reborn? - Ignitio…: http://youtu.be/niNQxUvKNmk

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am about to watch the video - but, before watching....I will say, tests really need to be performed tire for tire. I mean, at the end of the day - a wheel tire package is likely the best modification you can do to a factory offering (car) - for handling duty.

The 1LE comes with 285's on all 4 corners.

Now, to watch the video.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I am about to watch the video - but, before watching....I will say, tests really need to be performed tire for tire. I mean, at the end of the day - a wheel tire package is likely the best modification you can do to a factory offering (car) - for handling duty.

Now, to watch the video.

True, but Ford had the option to supply the GT PP with better tires and didn't. GM did, and the price point with a wash between the two.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score

Now, to watch the video.

True, but Ford had the option to supply the GT PP with better tires and didn't. GM did, and the price point with a wash between the two.

Ford has always put tiny tires and soft suspension on the stangs, I get why, I realize they have to make a whole group happy and not just enthusiasts.

What ticks me off is when they add a "Performance Pack" that is soft and lacking vs the competition.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
What ticks me off is when they add a "Performance Pack" that is soft and lacking vs the competition.

This! ugh. When you add up +200lbs, soft springs, under dampened, and under tired on a freaking Performance Pack. It just really chaps my hide. I wish I wasn't such a huge Mustang fan, then I could just "meh" it.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that the tires on the Camaro made the biggest difference. The mustang suspension did seem to throw itself around a lot more than the Camaro's suspension did though.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Cool video.

A few things that stick out to me are the gearing choices, wheel/tire combos, and the IRS systems.

The Camaro has a rather large CI powerplant, with an excellent TQ curve, and is geared substantially higher at 3.91 vs the DOHC Mustangs 3.73.

I have always been under the impression that DOHC engines perform better in just about any environment, with a steeper gear in comparison to an equally powered (peak) pushrod / larger CI engine.

The wheel & tire packages are also vastly different. The Camaro is sitting on 10" front, and 11" rear wheels....all 4 corners wrapped in GY Supercars of the 285/35 variety. The Mustang on the other hand, is sitting on 9"F and 9.5"R wheels wrapped in 255/40 up front, and 275/40 out back. This particular comparison peaks my interest, because I would highly enjoy seeing the difference in the Mustang's handling with the equivalent size wheel&tire package. Props to GM on shipping those 1LE models with square 285's.

Another difference that intrigues me - is the IRS Systems. The Camaro's IRS is completely different in design, compared to the S550.

I am not sure how much this affects the performance difference - but in watching that video, it seems as if the entire package on the 1LE is a winning combination (for what it is)

Personally, I think the IRS system in the 2010+ Camaro is nice. I am not sold entirely on Ford's decision to go with the single 1-Piece LCA, but I think time will tell.

I did find it quite funny how the cars weighed in within 70lbs of each other. I agree with Terry, in that, that is a shame. Model for model, I would like to have seen Ford keep that spread at around 100lbs, minimum.

Last edited:

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, trust me - I agree with your notion.

I just posted some notes on what I saw in the video. Like stated, props to GM.

A 15' base GT 300A w/ PP is $35,420. Ford website.

A 15' camaro 1SS trim 1LE is $38,000. Chevy website.

Cheapest i could build either.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ Correct. We ordered a 300A with PP.

We got a $500 preferred discount, because we buy so many cars.

Our price is $34,920.

Personally, I use X-Plan pricing...but that is another topic.

Nonetheless, good info Zero!!!

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Cool video.

A few things that stick out to me are the gearing choices, wheel/tire combos, and the IRS systems.

The Camaro has a rather large CI powerplant, with an excellent TQ curve, and is geared substantially higher at 3.91 vs the DOHC Mustangs 3.73.

I have always been under the impression that DOHC engines perform better in just about any environment, with a steeper gear in comparison to an equally powered (peak) pushrod / larger CI engine.

Somebody do the math but I think the final drive is a wash with the way the MT82 is geared vs the 6060 plus overall tire diameters being larger on the 1LE.

2 reasons we own an S197, solid axle and my big giant head with a helmet fits better in the mustang.....true story, took our helmets to the dealerships to try on cars. Otherwise I heart pushrod V8s

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back