San Diego Area: CA legal

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I live in CA, passing smog with my mods was no problem. I do have all the CARB stickers in a folder just for smog. Just make sure your CARB stickers are up to date because somethings the number changed. You could call the manufacturer and ask for updated stickers.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Any and all tunes that are legal must have a approved California Air Resource Board Exemption Order number. Which will usually be sold with a decal that can be affixed somewhere in the engine compartment or door jamb that the vehicle has an aftermarket tune and it is approved for use on the vehicle. As far as fuel pumps and injectors unless they look radically different then stock most will not notice them. Out of sight out of mind for the most part. Now I have seen someone who has one of those decals running another tune which is not 'approved', a more aggressive tune if you will and pass smog because the tuner knows you still have to have all parameters turned on and functioning in the tune.

Wow even the tune requires a CARB number?

How do they even verify that the tune loaded is the one the CARB number is issued for? Especially if its running a E85 tune and/or running cleaner than stock?

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Now you are getting it Jinx ;). Unless the tune has some emissions parameter turned off or you are not running cats or have LT headers they really cannot.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Now you are getting it Jinx ;). Unless the tune has some emissions parameter turned off or you are not running cats or have LT headers they really cannot.

Good to know. I have no idea what these commie smog stations look like. I figured they had similar equipment that a Ford dealership used to tell an aftermarket tune was installed. Now, you say that, it doesn't sound that bad.

Someone could run an 72mm pulley, VMP elbow, with E85 and nothing would seem out of place.

If you feeling frisky after a game of hacky sack a person could run an off-road pipe and open style CAI with a larger VMP TB with a more aggressive tune.

DERRY90

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know. I have no idea what these commie smog stations look like. I figured they had similar equipment that a Ford dealership used to tell an aftermarket tune was installed. Now, you say that, it doesn't sound that bad.

Someone could run an 72mm pulley, VMP elbow, with E85 and nothing would seem out of place.

If you feeling frisky after a game of hacky sack a person could run an off-road pipe and open style CAI with a larger VMP TB with a more aggressive tune.

If you have a smog legal supercharger (carb eo) 99% of the time technicians won't know that you've made adjustments to the unit, unless that VMP elbow has the brand name on top. They could question you for that. But I doubt the tech is gonna get a microscope to look for a brand name since the supercharger has a carb number, they usually stop questioning after that. Just be aware there are extremely anal techs out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back