SCT Support tells me Advantage won't work with McAfee

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So, I've been having issues with Advantage 3 tuning software for awhile.

Did a remote hookup with SCT and when they couldn't figure it out they told me McAfee doesn't work with Advantage.

I did tell the tech that it only became a problem recently after 9 years of success with both programs. He replied that he didn't write the McAfee software so there was no way he would know what was causing it to not work with SCT Advantage 3 tuning software.

At this point it probably doesn't matter since the car just sold. I still wanted to have access to the tuning software for reference.

I'll try to reload it on a computer that doesn't have McAfee.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just temporarily deactivate McAfee when you run SCT. If that doesn't fix the problem, you know SCT is full of crap.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Just temporarily deactivate McAfee when you run SCT. If that doesn't fix the problem, you know SCT is full of crap.

The fact that it worked for many years with McAfee is what caused my doubts.

The root issue is that I did a ssd drive swap about 1.5 years ago. Ever since then I would have to .exe from program files because a few hidden SCT files wouldn't copy over.

The easy fix would be to uninstall Advantage and reinstall it fresh. However, I can't because the file needed to start uninstall is one of the hidden files that didn't copy.

When I try to reinstall over the current Advantage version I get a message from the SCT installer that says a more current version of Advantage is already on my computer and it halts the install.

Even with all of that going on I was modifying the tune with Advantage for a cam install just two weeks ago.

It was working two weeks ago and now it doesn't.

I'm having flashbacks from Windows 3.1 days.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did the McAfee update recently? I've had some issues like that with software in the past.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
If you did the SSD swap using a copying utility , you shouldnt have those issues as it does a raw copy of the partition unless it was one that did not boot off a CD , then I could see that happening.

I just did the same thing in my tuning laptop running SCT Adv 3 and have no issues. I don't use McAfee though , my company provides Sophos Home free for us to use. But I dont have the *.exe issue as well.

travelers

Reaction score
Why would you run McAfee in the first place? One of the worst AV programs ever.

did the McAfee update recently? I've had some issues like that with software in the past.

When I was still with the AF we never used McAfee. It's the worst out there like Skwerl said.

They send updates all the time and if your's is set to update automatically, you probable didn't see the update.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back