SCT x4 not uploading tune to car

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I wanted to try out the Lund Cam tune. I already have the Lund 93 race tune on the car. So after Lund sent the tune to me I uploaded it onto my X4 and then tried to install the tun on the car. After selecting program vehicle and selecting the Lund cam tune, it goes right into downloading the tune. There is no option screen that appears like it did with my Lund 93 race tune. After the device says the tune download is complete, I start the car and it is definitely not a cam tune.

Any ideas? I updated the X4 firmware.

Here is a YouTube video showing what I'm doing.

Last edited:

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I was watching some YouTube videos and my X4 should say "writing tune to vehicle". Mine says "ECU-Downloading tune".

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that's the first step, first it will download the current tune, then it should upload the selected file. I have no experience with the X4, however, sounds like the same way as the X3 works

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
It's not uploading the selected tune after it's completed with the "ECU - Downloading tune"

travelers

Reaction score
So what tune is your car running on now? It's been a while since I did a down load. If you having a problem get a hold of the Lund guys. That's who tuned my '11

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 93 Lund race tune. The cam tune isn't writing to the cars computer.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I emailed them and sent the video.

Their reply "so i checked the tune and its correct. once the car warms up and the rpm comes down does it start loping how long did you let the car run for?"

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
It boils down to this. You have access to change certain things allowed you by Lund on the 93 race tune. The ghost cam tune (which does nothing but create a cam lope at idle after warmup) is locked down so that you have no access to any changes. Lund does not wish you to have any options access on this tune or they would have given you the same access as on your 93 race tune. This is at the discretion of the tuner. In my tunes with my tuner I have as full access as the SCT will allow. In one case Alex got in a hurry, sent me a tune, and forgot to leave the options all open. When I loaded it the same thing happened as you saw (reference your video) and describe. He followed up with the tune opened up that next morning. Tuners can also limit how many options they leave open.

That should explain why you aren't seeing "options" at the beginning. The tune is loading completely. The car resets and starts with no failure of loading or you would definitely know. As Lund stated, wait for the car to warm up it may take a while for the ghost tune to take effect. I test drove Terry Reeves (Team Beefcake Racing) 2014 GT (Dorothy) when I was considering buying it a few years back. It had one of the very first Lund ghost cam tunes. It took a while even on that warm July day for the car to begin loping. So Lund's response was not sarcastic. It was trying to be helpful. Best of luck.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
It boils down to this. You have access to change certain things allowed you by Lund on the 93 race tune. The ghost cam tune (which does nothing but create a cam lope at idle after warmup) is locked down so that you have no access to any changes. Lund does not wish you to have any options access on this tune or they would have given you the same access as on your 93 race tune. This is at the discretion of the tuner. In my tunes with my tuner I have as full access as the SCT will allow. In one case Alex got in a hurry, sent me a tune, and forgot to leave the options all open. When I loaded it the same thing happened as you saw (reference your video) and describe. He followed up with the tune opened up that next morning. Tuners can also limit how many options they leave open.

That should explain why you aren't seeing "options" at the beginning. The tune is loading completely. The car resets and starts with no failure of loading or you would definitely know. As Lund stated, wait for the car to warm up it may take a while for the ghost tune to take effect. I test drove Terry Reeves (Team Beefcake Racing) 2014 GT (Dorothy) when I was considering buying it a few years back. It had one of the very first Lund ghost cam tunes. It took a while even on that warm July day for the car to begin loping. So Lund's response was not sarcastic. It was trying to be helpful. Best of luck.

The only option I need available is to change gearing to 4.10.

As far as the cam tune loading, I let the car idle for approx 10 minutes. Nothing.

When the tune is loading into the car, shouldn't the device say "writing tune to vehicle" ? Mine does not say that.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Lund will have to make that option available to you or already have that added to the tune.

The faux cam tune may require a certain engine temp to activate. If not then you should be getting back in touch with Lund.

It may be possible that since no changes are made, or can be made to the tune selected (since none can be) that this message won't pop up. If not again you need to be getting into contact with Lund regarding the problem. if there was a problem with the tune flash unit it would not load any tune IMO.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I just let the car idle for 20 minutes. There is no lope. The SCT X4 is not writing the tune to my vehicle.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
have you contacted SCT? sounds like a device issue IMHO

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just let the car idle for 20 minutes. There is no lope. The SCT X4 is not writing the tune to my vehicle.

Lund may need to tweek the point at which the tune lets VCT change to create this effect. It may be as simple as tweeking the TPS setpoint in the tune (not on the TB, that is fixed) the tune needs to see to enable lope effect when idle is reached. When driving Terry's car with the Lund ghost tune, I noticed that once at a stop (automatic setup btw) the car would not drop right into lope mode. Therefore things had to be satisfied in the logic sequence before the VCT could retard/advance as needed to create the overlap. I doubt seriously that the problem is in the device as it reloads other tunes correctly from what you are stating. Lund will likely ask you to datalog the car so that they may see what is going on at dile which may be inhibiting the effect from being executed.

Best of luck.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
No idea! Lol

I tried it one last time. Loaded it up, turned the car on. It lopes now. Very weird.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
We call that FM in the maintenance world. Frickin' Magic. No explanation just something that was not workign suddenly starts working while troubleshooting. Very common in the 35+ year old cnc machining equipment we have to rely on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back